What's new

College Student needs help picking a dress watch.

I need a decent dress watch for formal events, interviews, etc. My budget maxes out at $200, but I am much more comfortable being int he $150 range. I have never bought a dress watch before, but I have a vague idea that it should be non obtrusive, leather band, and simplistic. I need some recommendation for a decent dress watch. I would prefer that it is a black band so to match my belt and shoes.

These are the watches I own so far, non are dress watch.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have started looking at other Skagen offerings and many of them fit my budget, but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

Here are a few. I have the round face Bulova and it looks great with a suit and for formal occasions. Its very sleek. Thin case. Nonobtrusive but classy looking. At 37 mm it might run a little small if you have a large wrist.

Round Bulova

Square Bulova

Tissot

Skagen

Movado

Hope this helps.

**Edited to provide link for better price on first watch

Last edited:
The watches you have are perfectly nice for interview or other functions. Why not save the $200 and put that into your clothes - perhaps add the $200 to the investment in a nice suit?

The watches you have are perfectly nice for interview or other functions. Why not save the $200 and put that into your clothes - perhaps add the $200 to the investment in a nice suit?

I already have the suit, the shoes, the belt. Hell, I even have a decent pair of cuff links. The watch is the final piece.

If that money is burning a hole in your pocket, get a leather portfolio for your resume, pen, and notepad. A watch won't really make any impression during an interview, but the portfolio will.

the guy asked about watches.. either of the Bulova's above would be a solid choice. not cheapo and not over the top brand and excellent time keepers. I vote for the square model.

Don't be afraid to check your local pawn shops for watches. There are deals to be had there. I purchased a nice Seiko Kinetic for $250.00 a few years ago.

Dave

I wear a Skagen similar to the top one (silver, and no date, but same basic shape) for dress all the time. You'll be fine. Spend the 2 bills on a suit or shoes

I second guptowns' recommendation of the round Bulova. Elegant, unobtrusive, thin (fits under a dress shirt while wearing a coat, easily) with a classic "Omega' Geneve type of style - and, best of all, a quartz movement. While I prefer automatics, for a pure dress watch that is perhaps only worn occasionally, a quartz watch makes more sense, since you can stop the movement, save the battery, and run it only when you need it. An excellent choice, and I second the recommendation to do something else with the money you'll save. I've seen the round Bulova on sale around the 'net for as little as $65, and Amazon prices fluctuate almost daily for this item.

Oh, and the square Bulova is certainly acceptable, too: I just prefer the look of the classic round shape.

Tj maxx type stores or outlet. Buy.com is good too, learn about whatever watch you decide on, they can be a conversation piece,

I'm going for an Blue Orient Mako for Xmas.

Unlike James Bond, most people find a divers watch under a long sleeve shirt, and with a coat on, hard to wear, since it's a thicker case with a bulkier bracelet (rubber would be better). A slim watch with a leather band is simply more comfortable and looks better under a dress shirt and suit coat.

I don't own any but have head Invicta watches are a good value for the money.

You can get a decent one for under $100.00

This one is $56 bucks on amazon(not saying its the style your looking for but just an example).
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom