What's new

Proraso Senstive vs other 'sensitive' brands

Hi all,

I've been using the Proraso sensitive soap for a while now and the tub is nearly finished so I'm currently looking for a new soap/cream.

The brands I've looked up are: Trumper Coconut, Art of Shaving unscented and Martin De Candre unscented. I read that the AOS one can be a bit strong Trumper has a tendency to dry the skin, but overall are getting decent reviews.

I have fairly sensitive skin so I am looking for a product that is either unscented or not to strong on the perfume.

I have found the Proraso sensitive pretty good, although I find it doesn't lather that well.

Has anyone tried all of the above and can recommend the best, or suggest a good one?

Thanks, this forum is extremely helpful!

Hi all,

I've been using the Proraso sensitive soap for a while now and the tub is nearly finished so I'm currently looking for a new soap/cream.

The brands I've looked up are: Trumper Coconut, Art of Shaving unscented and Martin De Candre unscented. I read that the AOS one can be a bit strong Trumper has a tendency to dry the skin, but overall are getting decent reviews.

I have fairly sensitive skin so I am looking for a product that is either unscented or not to strong on the perfume.

I have found the Proraso sensitive pretty good, although I find it doesn't lather that well.

Has anyone tried all of the above and can recommend the best, or suggest a good one?

Thanks, this forum is extremely helpful!

Hello Bu7ns,

I have quite allergic and sensitive skin myself and most creams and colognes with any significant scent always make my skin irritated and cause a rash. However,I have been using the Trumpers Coconut shave cream now regularly for 2 years.And I can truthfully say it has never once irritated my face or dried out my skin.And believe me,it makes marvelous,protective lather. Well worth the price.

Craig

Inexpensive: Arko Sensitive, La Toja Sensitive & Lea Sensitive.
Luxury: AOS Unscented or Lavender

These all Lather great and give me a rich protective lather.

Hello Bu7ns,

I have quite allergic and sensitive skin myself and most creams and colognes with any significant scent always make my skin irritated and cause a rash. However,I have been using the Trumpers Coconut shave cream now regularly for 2 years.And I can truthfully say it has never once irritated my face or dried out my skin.And believe me,it makes marvelous,protective lather. Well worth the price.

Craig

totally agree with him here.infact is was due to craig suggestions i ended up buying two of my best creams ie trumpers coconut & castle forbes lime! ,once again thanks a lot craig.
i would suggest you both these creams,and if you dont want to spend much and still try these,i think trumpers site sells samples,plus in the vendors section you have gary sample shop from where you can get samples and try them out,before purchasing a full tub

Inexpensive: Arko Sensitive, La Toja Sensitive & Lea Sensitive.
Luxury: AOS Unscented or Lavender

These all Lather great and give me a rich protective lather.

I just shaved with AOS Lavender this morning. My, that's lovely stuff. And it is made with lavender essential oil and targeted by AOS particularly for folks with sensitive skin.

You're going to figure out that sensitive skin is very much a YMMV kind of thing. I have sensitive skin and have used some heavily scented products with no ill effect, while other things that are supposedly good for sensitive skin irritated me. You won't know what works and what doesn't until you try it.

Also, that Proraso stuff you have lathers fine. Either you are doing something wrong (like not loading enough soap on your brush) or you have a water problem (like hard water).

Besides product choice here are some things that helped me:

1. Using very sharp blades then tossing them after just one shave.

2. Switching to a silvertip brush (less scratchy/irritating than lower badger grades and boar brushes)

3. 1-2 pass shaves instead of 3-4 pass shaves

4. Finding what products work and sticking with them

I just shaved with AOS Lavender this morning. My, that's lovely stuff. And it is made with lavender essential oil and targeted by AOS particularly for folks with sensitive skin.

That was the First Cream I ever tried after ~33 years of Tabac Shave Soap, I thought the scent was natural and relaxing and the lather just exploded in my Bowl. The Shave was always refreshing and left my face very moisturized, I now have 5 full tubs of the Rose left (discontinued) and will be trying the Lemon this Spring. The AOS, La Toja & LEA Sensitive are my top three Soft Creams, I do enjoy the QCS Tubs and consider those a Soft Soap, Tabac is still my #1 Soap.

How about Palmolive Sensitive SC: cheap, easy to lather and leaves the skin feeling clean and refreshed. I do not know if there are many versions of this cream, I am talking about the european or belgian version.

If you have sensitive skin, in my view avoid Lime/lemon/sandalwood/cedarwood scented creams..
They often can irritate your skin..
There's a good reason why Castle Forbes Lime is for normal skin and Castle Forbes Lavender has labelled 'for sensitive skin' on the label !
I own both these Castle Forbes and while the Lime smells AWESOME, it's NOT for sensitive easily irritated skin..

I will suggest you these great creams for sensitive skin:

1. Truefitt&Hill Ultimate Comfort
2. Acca Kappa 1869 Tub version
3. Edwin Jagger AloeVera
4. Taylor Jermyn Street
5. Castle Forbes Lavender
6. Trumper Coconut
7. Art of Shaving Lavender
8. Speick ShaveCream

I guarantee that if none of these creams works for you, then you should stop shaving altogether ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom