What's new

Newbie and Blade Sampler

I posted this on the end of a thread I started almost 2 months ago in the "Newbie Check In" forum. I realized it might be better over here! I had returned to DE shaving after a 30 year hiatus and hadn't a clue on what blades would suit my experience and face. So i bought a 15 brand sampler blade pack from a B&B advertiser and here we are. All were tested in a SS Feather safety razor.

It's been almost two months and I've finally run through my sampler set of blades and reached some conclusions. These are just my experiences on my mug with these blades. No doubt six months from now the blades that I've identified as the most compatible with my face and experience level will shuffle around a bit in the ranking.

Here are the blades of the fifteen in the sampler (plus the Merkur) that I found the best for me:

Bolzano Superinox
Feather Hi Stainless
Wilkinson Sword (classic)
Wilkinson Sword

Of these I found the Feather was the least work with the most care required. The Wilkinsons were both great as was the Bolzano. I've gone back to the Feather this past week and found that the shave quality I can achieve has improved (obviously along with my technique) in the past two months.

The ones I found not to my satisfaction were the:

Derby Extra
Merkur Super
Treet Durasharp
Treet Platinum

Of those the Treet Durasharp gave me the most trouble and the roughest shave. I came close to abandoning it half way through its first use.

Again, YMMV. These are strictly my biased, novice results.

All blades were ranked by:

Cost
Closeness
Passes
BBS
Irritation
Nicks
Weepers
Comfort
Overall

With all of them I found the most difficult area was immediately below my jaw line. For a good number of blades a fourth pass was necessary along that line. This may be more an issue of technique rather than a deficiency in the blade.

This was an exciting test as I never knew quite what my experience would be when I changed blades.

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement I received along the way.

BTW - being a Scotsman I also changed from TOBS (which was very good) to Castle & Forbes Lavender cream. One word - WOW!

Best Regards,

Alex​

Interesting observations. You said that your sampler covered 15 blade brands, but we only get mention of the top four and the bottom four. Can we assume that the rest were unremarkable? (I think you should share your observations in the reviews section, too, by the way.)
Nice little writeup. Was it three shaves or so for each blade?
Thanks for posting it,
-- Chet

Hello Chester,

Here is the complete list:

Astra Platinum
Bolzano Superinox
Derby Extra
Dorco Platinum (new)
Feather Hi Stainless (new yellow)
Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp
Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge
Personna Platinum
Shark Super
Shark Super Chrome
Treet Dura Sharp
Treet Platinum
Vidyut Super-Max
Wilkinson Sword (classic)
Wilkinson Sword

Yes, the other 7 were clustered in the center of the ratings. For most it was indeed 3X per blade. With the lower rated ones I shaved a second time the next day with a new blade in case it was just a bum blade. Nothing changed. The Treet Durasharp and the Merkur didn't make it to day three.

Regards,

Alex

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Alex:
Glad you're back after your 30 year shaving hiatus!!! My humble advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade (my 'go-to' blade is Shark Super Chrome
attachment.php
).

Also, long ago when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the Feathers [and then the KAI's]. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as follows;

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (aggressive, moderate sharpness, mild sharpness, tugging or pulling, ect...), - Closeness of Shave? (DFS, CCS, BBS, ect...) - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? (moderately smooth, very smooth, very,very smooth, ect...) - Comfort of Shave? (no irratation, slight irratation, touch of burn, itching, ect...) - Overall Rating? (awesome, great, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)? (yes or no).

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you my workable spread sheet example.

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

"Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it". Sam Levenson

View attachment 203121 "Laughter is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Last edited:
Thanks Count. That's a good idea. I think what I will do is shave again with each of the top 4 for 9 days at a time. That will be 3 blades each. Then revisit the middling blades.

(I'll keep the Feather in my razor all this week just to get used to a consistent experience)

But for the lowest ranked they had their shot with 2 blades - my poor face can't take it!

Regards,

Alex

P.S. too late - I'm hooked. AND I showed my 29 year old son how to wet shave on Saturday. He has a narrow beard and couldn't get close to the beard line with his electric. Another newbie joins the ranks!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Thanks Count. That's a good idea. I think what I will do is shave again with each of the top 4 for 9 days at a time. That will be 3 blades each. Then revisit the middling blades.

(I'll keep the Feather in my razor all this week just to get used to a consistent experience)

But for the lowest ranked they had their shot with 2 blades - my poor face can't take it!

Regards,

Alex

P.S. too late - I'm hooked. AND I showed my 29 year old son how to wet shave on Saturday. He has a narrow beard and couldn't get close to the beard line with his electric. Another newbie joins the ranks!
Alex:
Thanx for your reply, suppoert and for sharing!!!

And it's awesome you got your son to join the DE ranks. Too bad I can't get my two sons to join me (Sheesh...though I've tried), but maybe after they see the 'errors of their ways' (money spent, better shaves, ect...), they'll come home to Poppa and B & B. :lol1:

attachment.php
"
Laughter is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart."Mort Walker

PS Is that you as a young boy in your Avatar pic?

Last edited:
Tenebrous,

Thanks for your blade sampler pack.

I'm sure that your post is one that will be read by future newbs as a good methodology for getting a handle on finding the good, the bad and the ugly.

Top Bottom