What's new

Mach 3 vs Proglide: differences?

over the last couple of months I purchased every major US "shaving system" that Gillette made to my knowledge. I Tried the Trac II, Atra, Sensor, Mach, Fusion/proglide. I used the Gillette brand carts for each system as well as a few 3rd party brands for the older handles. I feel the Mach3 does as good a job as the Fusion and needed an equal number of passes for me. I did get more irritation from the 5 blade system, but that isn't to say that you will get the same result.

All of this being said, I have to say that to me, the Atra is by far the best middle point between DE and modern shaving. If you use the finesse that is learned through DE shaving, the Atra might turn out to be the razor for you.

I like the MACH 3 too. I am learning the DE technique. I get a closer shave with the MACH 3 though.

I felt similarly at first, but after trying some better blades and getting my technique down, a DE shave is better than I ever got with a cartridge and I have fewer (no) ingrown hairs and less irritation.

Nah, it's not that bad. You will figure it out and the bloodbath will end very quickly as your technique improves.

I can't argue this, but I found myself in a hurry to meet a girl for a last minute date. I had to shower and shave FAST! I did it all in 15 minutes including shower, 2-pass shave, and brushing my teeth. I didn't have the best shave, but it was still good. I had a single weeper above the lip that went away before my final rinse. So yeah, once you get your technique down a DE shave can be almost as fast as a cartridge shave.

+1

I'm afraid the 8-blade razor will be with us in no time, but with USB...

As others have said, a DE doesn't really take any longer, and yields a much nicer shave. The learning curve is really not all that long. One or two weeks seems typical. You still learn and improve from there, but it's more subtle refinement from there. That said, a mach 3 does give most people ( myself included) a decent shave, especially if you use a good lather. I haven't tried a proglide, so I couldn't comment on that.

Possible that the old Mach 3 Turbo can be better?

A safety De razor can give me a better shave?
Yes to both. That's what BlackBard (first reply in this thread) meant by YMMV. "Better" is always subjective.

The only problem is that I need 30 minutes for shaving with DE... and I wake up at 5 a.m......

If I make a fast calc... with Mach 3 I require 10 minutes.... vs 30 minutes with DE
You get faster with practice. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to shave with a DE. Again, YMMV.

Top Bottom