What's new

Bacterial Infection Due to Shaving...and how often do you sanitize your razors?

Purchased old razors when they come in get cleaned in hot water if metal, or if plastic scrubbing bubbles and 10 minutes in a Marvicide soak before polishing.

For razors in my rotation, a quick shake of isopropyl alcohol to dry the razor thoroughly. That is inhibit rust on blades (and maybe internal mechanics of the razor) so they will last as long as possible.

If that seems excessive to some, then so be it.

Maybe it is a little too late to reply to this thread, however...

I recently moved to Singapore and, immediately after arriving, I got a skin infection that I got while shaving. At the time I was just using the same cartridge razors that I had been using for years (in fact, that's when I started googling up alternative shaving methods and discovered this site and got hooked on wet shaving). The infection cleared up after a week of antibiotics, so it wasn't too huge a deal, even if it was quite annoying while I had it. In the end, given that I hadn't changed anything in my shaving routine (splash face with water, cover it with a thick layer of canned goo, do several passes with Gillette or Schick), I concluded that the source of the infection couldn't be what I was using, but what I was doing prior to shaving. I then realized that I was using public transportation for the first time in years and likely picking up a lot of bacteria on the bus and train with my hands, then rubbing my face with them. As a solution, I now wash my face throughly with a cleanser before I shave and the problem hasn't reoccurred. Like the other posters, I don't think that the problem was with the razor itself, or even with the blades.

Well there are some people who used to sanitize their razors..To boil or clean the razor is also a good option sometimes..Byt as per my opinion I just wash my razor and use it..There are some antiseptic solutions also for washing or rinse the razors..

"... using public transportation for the first time in years and likely picking up a lot of bacteria on the bus and train with my hands, then rubbing my face with them."
" ...I don't think that the problem was with the razor itself, or even with the blades."
Winner, Winner, chicken dinner!!!!

Im NOT a Doctor so I really can not say if its true or not! All I know is Ive been shaving some 45 years and other than a used razor have never done anything but rinse in Hot water and Dry ! Noe if I use Old Blades (New Old Stock ) I do put them in Barbicide before using only as a precaution !
Enjoy Your Shave !

Maybe it is a little too late to reply to this thread, however...

I recently moved to Singapore and, immediately after arriving, I got a skin infection that I got while shaving. At the time I was just using the same cartridge razors that I had been using for years (in fact, that's when I started googling up alternative shaving methods and discovered this site and got hooked on wet shaving). The infection cleared up after a week of antibiotics, so it wasn't too huge a deal, even if it was quite annoying while I had it. In the end, given that I hadn't changed anything in my shaving routine (splash face with water, cover it with a thick layer of canned goo, do several passes with Gillette or Schick), I concluded that the source of the infection couldn't be what I was using, but what I was doing prior to shaving. I then realized that I was using public transportation for the first time in years and likely picking up a lot of bacteria on the bus and train with my hands, then rubbing my face with them. As a solution, I now wash my face throughly with a cleanser before I shave and the problem hasn't reoccurred. Like the other posters, I don't think that the problem was with the razor itself, or even with the blades.

A rule that we follow around here is that whenever we come into the house from out in public, we wash our hands.

Now I 99% shave after taking a shower or at the very least washing my face which means my hands too. I've never had a bacterial infection due to shaving (knocking 3 times on wood to chase bad juju away).

-jim

this was probably more than most people cared to know but pretty much fact! this is why I always wondered why in some of the pictures posted you see brushes, razors, etc.. lines up around the sink. there is all kinds of stuff flying around in the bathroom.
Myth Busters had an episode on this subject. They put a toothbrush on the tank of the toilet in the public restroom in their office, after a week they had it tested for everything. Result was it was clean, nothing on it at all.

Myth Busters had an episode on this subject. They put a toothbrush on the tank of the toilet in the public restroom in their office, after a week they had it tested for everything. Result was it was clean, nothing on it at all.
Well naturally...people probably rinsed it off in the bowl (after flushing of course) when they were done using it. [emoji2]

I never really sanitize my razors. I've wiped them down once or twice with an alcohol wipe, but normally I just spray them with cool water from the sink and then I towel them off. I doubt it's really necessary to sanitize your DE products, since you can take them apart and rinse them, unlike cartridge razors which get full of gunk that you can't clean out.

Most infections come from sharing a razor without disinfecting it or storing it wet in a place where bacteria can flourish. Those instances are quite rare.

Being new to wet shaving with a DE razor I have done quite a bit of reading and used an idea I found of keeping a small mason jar with 70% Iso alcohol on the shelf. After my shave I rinse my razor and give it a quick dunk and swirl in the alcohol before putting my razor on its stand.

I think it is complete nonsense to suggest one may get bacterial infections from not sanitizing his razor between shaves.

Do you sanitize your face and mouth after eating in a restaurant?

Do you sanitize your head after getting a haircut?

Do you use a hand towel in your home bathroom twice without sanitizing the towel?

Folks, let's get real. We are professional shavers.

Last edited by a moderator:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Infection from a razor??? Do you know if your friend is using a DE? I honestly can't say that I have ever heard of this happening.

After each shave, I spray my razor down with some 70% iso alcohol. This probably kills off bacteria, but my motivation to do it is more about reducing soap scum build up and making sure the razor dries quickly.

+1... I would think bacteria would have a hard time setting up even in a small nick if aftershave was used post shave?

Infection from a razor??? Do you know if your friend is using a DE? I honestly can't say that I have ever heard of this happening.

After each shave, I spray my razor down with some 70% iso alcohol. This probably kills off bacteria, but my motivation to do it is more about reducing soap scum build up and making sure the razor dries quickly.

I do the same...sort of.....

After a shave, I rinse my "pili follicle surgical instrument" (razor) in hot tap water. Then I dunk it in 70% isopropyl alcohol. Many ignorant shave enthusiasts use the 91% alcohol, but a google search reveals a few articles that show that the 70% actually kills germs more efficiently than the 91%. It has something to do with the 70% not evaporating as quickly as the 91% and also that the 70% is able to better penetrate the germ's cell walls better, blah blah blah. Then I just let the 70% evaporate on the razor hanger out in the open, until next use.

Prior to each shave, I pull out whatever razor and blade I want to use and drop it in a properly mixed solution of Barbicide for 10 minutes (as directed and while I'm in the shower). After the shower, I lather the face, remove the razor from the Barbicide and rinse it off in hot tap water, then shave away.

When the new blade is dull (usually after 3 solid shave cycles), I'll use the 70% alcohol and a fine micro fiber cloth to clean and buff the soap scum (aka: "schmutz") off of the beautiful finishes of the razor.

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I think that some folks worry way to much about infections from razors and brushes. But, it's your face you're shaving, so do whatever puts you at ease, IMO it's overkill but it's not going to hurt anything. I don't sterilize my shave equipment ever, and I've never gotten an infection from any of them.

I think that some folks worry way to much about infections from razors and brushes. But, it's your face you're shaving, so do whatever puts you at ease, IMO it's overkill but it's not going to hurt anything. I don't sterilize my shave equipment ever, and I've never gotten an infection from any of them.

+1 It's worth remembering that gents have been shaving with DEs for over 100 years, and with straights long before that. All without Barbicide, alcohol, or whatever means of germ-killing floats your boat.

I'd venture to say that in the modern era, if large numbers of gentlemen were getting infections from their shaving gear we'd have heard all about it.

So I'm with Georg: if it makes you feel better, fine, but I have plenty of other things I could be doing with my time.

this is something i never thought of; however, i remember one of my buds got a facial infection in Vietnam shaving in non-potable water. infection came from dirty water, not razor or blade.

there's always a plan B.

I've been shaving approximately 53 years and, other than a vintage DE or straight bought off the bay, never 'sanitized a razor/blade beyond rinsing well when I am done. Not a bad Idea though if it reassures some folks. Back years ago you didn't read about 'flesh eating bacteria', and all of these 'super bugs' that are resistant to antibiotics. Whether those nasties were around then, but hadn't been discovered, or publicized, I don't know. But they're sure around nowadays.

Top Bottom