What's new

Bacterial Infection Due to Shaving...and how often do you sanitize your razors?

I work with someone who's FIL was admitted to the hospital for a staph infection on his neck/face. But they was thinking the cause was an ingrown hair.
First time really heard of it.

Last edited:
DE's flush clean much better than multi blades. But the thing is that staph and strep and their ilk, love to grow in some moist hair and skin deposits. Even some razor rash can be the result of mild infections. With DE's and straights, general hygeine is usually enough protection.

Some even have even observed the aerosol effect whereby after you flush a mountain of poo, small water droplets fling out from the toilet across the entire room, onto you face, lips, ears, nasal passages, eyes, and any other object that happens to sit in your bathroom
Close the lid before you flush?

The entire world is covered with a fine fecal patina! As noted above your bathroom is a veritable volcano of potential pathogens. The razor should be kept clean-this is pretty well accomplished with daily use with shave soap and lots of hot water before and after use and the regular change of blades. If there is gunk on it which prevents this level of cleaning it needs a scrubbing. You don't share your razor. After shaving you rinse carefully-I always relather and use that to wash with. The real role of alum, witch hazel and alcohol based AS is antiseptic. Lastly, the wounds of shaving are usually superficial and the face/neck are very vascular which make infection less likely. As I recall one of the discoverers of King Tuts tomb died from and infected shaving cut!!

this was probably more than most people cared to know but pretty much fact! this is why I always wondered why in some of the pictures posted you see brushes, razors, etc.. lines up around the sink. there is all kinds of stuff flying around in the bathroom.

Well. sorry to tell you, but despite your housekeepers efforts, your bathroom is virtually a fecal playground (amongst many other forms of bacteria and virus). Flushing the toilet after a prodigious bowel movement, the fecal matter on your hands that you cannot avoid, and the general moist/warm environment of your bathroom means that you have significant amounts (significant as in lots but not really harmful) of fecal coliform bacteria on your door handles, shower curtain, shower handles, sink handle, razor, tooth brush, listerine bottle, etc etc. Your bathroom is like a jacuzzi of feces at the microscopic level. Some even have even observed the aerosol effect whereby after you flush a mountain of poo, small water droplets fling out from the toilet across the entire room, onto you face, lips, ears, nasal passages, eyes, and any other object that happens to sit in your bathroom. Couple this with the considerable amount of feces that actually is on your hands (no a small paper tissue does not act as barrier between hand and moist/warm fecal matter). Now since you most likely a civilized man you wash your hands quickly which actually only eliminates some of the fecal bacteria on your hand which then proceeds to be transferred to your doors, sandwich, wife's hair, remote, cell phone, or whatever u touch. In fact while your bathroom is a fecal 4th of July, most of the rest of your household objects that you handle are lathered (in a microbe kind of way) in fecal bacteria. While there is some question about the aerosol effect, there is no question that when you brush - you are tasting poo, when you shave you are rubbing a few fecal microbes into your face, etc etc....in total, there is nothing to worry about as it is very unlikely you could sick or an infection or whatnot from your bathroom, but make no mistake after about 12 hours after the housekeeper disinfects, you are once again housing your very own fecal colony in your house. Now if you only pass waste once per month than you may have almost no traces except for that massive amount of microscopic fecal smear that soap and water will not lift - even the cute antibacterial ones are no match for the fecal lake on your palm. Of course anyone else in your home who touches anything, such as the housekeeper, is likely to be leaving behind her own microbial fecal colonies on your kitchen surfaces, tables, door handles, and whatever else she touches when you are not looking. But like I said, do not fret, and u likely wear AS, so even while you are ensconced in your own and others in the world fecal overcoat, even a good fecal swamp that is your home cannot overpower (scent wise) a good splash of Clubman.

Bah, humbug! I'll admit the fecal patina that other members have so oddly, and at length, described with what can only be called a laudable level of obsession is good for all of us in a Nietzsche sort of way, but the name of the site isn't "Bowel and Blade". Cease with the poo palaver, already!

I think sanitizing razors is highly over-rated.

In fact, I shave straight away with with any vintage razor I acquire, as I figure the microbiological beasties that have survived the years starving away on those hunks of steel and brass deserve a good feeding, and what better way to commune with the spirits of our wet-shaving ancestors than by accepting their traces into the bloodstream.

Only a few, unimportant parts have fallen off me after years of this sort of thing, and I find myself becoming more and more like the dearly departed former owners of my razors with each passing day. You can't shave against the grain of the sands of time, after all.

Our body surfaces are colonized by bacteria of various species (normal flora). Most of these bacteria are harmless under ordinary circumstances and may protect the body from being colonized by harmful bacterial species. Sometimes we are carriers of potentially harmful bacteria which may cause an infection at a time of low host defense system resistance. Any small break in the skin can potentially cause an infection, but usually doesn't. The environment is full of bacteria which are usually controlled by our natural resistance to infection. Sterilizing instruments that may break the skin helps prevent person to person disease transmission such as hepatitis.

It is good to keep razors as clean as reasonably possible. If you want to also disinfect razors, I suggest a short dip in an alcohol bath or Barbicide followed by cleaning and drying. Disinfection is a necessity for razors that will be used by more than one person. There are razors such as the Wapi intended for medical use which are made entirely of stainless steel so that they can be autoclaved between uses. Autoclaving is the gold standard for sterilization, but the steam would destroy most razors. It is important to remember that using a sterile razor will reduce risk but not guarantee that an infection will not be acquired from the bacteria on the skin or from the environment.

HTH

Last edited:
no difference from using a DE, a cartridge, or even an electric razor right? Just wash your hands and face often, clean out any cuts and use an alcohol based aftershave. Bacteria is EVERYWHERE anyway.

It is important to remember that using a sterile razor will reduce risk but not guarantee that an infection will not be acquired from the bacteria on the skin or from the environment.

HTH

Impossible to shave with a sterile razor, unless you're in a Class A (100) room or within a biosafety cabinet. The second it comes out of the autoclave, it is no longer considered strerile. It could also contain pyrogens (endotoxin) following the autoclave cycle....so depyrogenation would be the gold standard. Could you imagine having to depyro your razor for an hour or so at 250C between each use?

Now this is getting a little crazy..

um I have yet to sterilize any of my gear I figure my grandfather used the razor. I washed it but that is all I have not had any gear i didn't know the source so far

I swirl my razor in 93% alcohol after each shave but after reading this I might have to invest in some barbacide.

This brings up a question I've had for a while. Is scrubbing bubbles safe for the satin finish on a Merkur Futur?

The finish is somewhat fragile. Do not use bleach solution as it will dissolve the finish (been there done that, got the spots and freckles on my Futur to prove it). Barbicide does not seem to have any detrimental effect on the finish but I would not leave it in for any length of time just to be on the safe side.

Warm water, dish soap, and a soft toothbrush is more than acquitted to clean any soap residue that might accumulate.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I found my new puppy licking my shaving soap yesterday. If we stopped to worry about every possible source of germs we will eventually be walking around with tissue boxes on our feet, Howard Hughes style.

I give all vintage razors a clean and then a swish with alcohol before the first use. After that I just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Top Bottom