What's new

Shoe trees?

Looking for a couple of pairs of shoe trees for my vintage K brogues. I don't have a great deal of experience with shoe trees but saw these ones on eBay at a fair price and they are made from Beech wood. Do you think these are ok?

Attachments

• $shoe trees.JPG
    $shoe trees.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 173

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Those look more like shoe-stretchers.

I would go with a two-piece tree like the one shown here as they provide more shape for the back of the shoe as well as the front.

Attachments

• $1_23363_fs.jpg
    $1_23363_fs.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 169
Thanks for the advice however I notice there's quite a difference in price between the two styles. The ones I posted up are available for £10 and the style you listed for £30 from Cathcart Elliot.....being a cheap skate (but not completely!) I've decided to avoid plastic/metal trees and go for the £10 ones as I reckon shoes really only get most wear from the front and that damage to the back of the shoe can be avoid by using a shoe horn.

From what I have seen online, these are some of the best ones out there. Always stick with raw cedar as the wood will draw out the moisture & salts from wearing shoes. The keep them fresh, a light sanding is all you should need.

proxy.php

I do like the look of the fuller model shoe tree but tis hard to justify spending more on the shoe tree than I spent on the vintage brogues......figure better to have a cheap functional shoe tree than none at all.

proxy.php

Keep in mind the trees last indefinitely. I have been using them for over 25 years and have never replaced a pair, only added to the number. Wish I could say that for the shoes themselves.

Keep in mind the trees last indefinitely. I have been using them for over 25 years and have never replaced a pair, only added to the number. Wish I could say that for the shoes themselves.

Hah........maybe you should wear the shoe trees then :) ......wait somebody already thought this one up-

proxy.php

Looking for a couple of pairs of shoe trees for my vintage K brogues. I don't have a great deal of experience with shoe trees but saw these ones on eBay at a fair price and they are made from Beech wood. Do you think these are ok?

Nope.

As Mr. Wayne pointed out, shoe trees should be made from cedar, not beech. The tree has two purposes -- to draw moisture out of the shoes, and to maintain the shape of the shoes. So you want trees made of cedar, and you want trees that have the shape of the heel, instep, and toe box. The trees that Bruce Wayne and johnniegold pointed you toward look pretty good; the ones you were originally looking at would be, IMO, a waste of money.

At the risk of getting pounced on, I've always wondered how much good shoe trees really do. I have a couple pairs that I use on my AEs but I'm not convinced that I really need them. I have a pair of bostonians that are going on 5yrs old and I never used shoe trees in them. When I first purchased them the salesman tried to sell me a pair of shoe trees. I just assumed that my foot will make them keep their shape and air will dry them out. Since then, I've worn them far more frequently than I should have and I haven't noticed any warping.

OK, let me have it (gulp)

It is mostly to keep your leather shoes from misshaping and to absorb moisture and scents. The shoe horns are also useful to keep your shoe from flattening and moving when you are polishing your shoe. Other than that they are not necessary. So in your shoe is anywhere above $150, I would recommend a pair of shoe horns for them.

Nope.

As Mr. Wayne pointed out, shoe trees should be made from cedar, not beech. The tree has two purposes -- to draw moisture out of the shoes, and to maintain the shape of the shoes. So you want trees made of cedar, and you want trees that have the shape of the heel, instep, and toe box. The trees that Bruce Wayne and johnniegold pointed you toward look pretty good; the ones you were originally looking at would be, IMO, a waste of money.

Thanks for your input.....out of interest why do you say cedar not beech for shoe trees? Is this a personal preference thing? This caught me as a strange statement and provoked my curiosity. After doing a quick Google it would appear that Beech is a highly absorbent wood more so than Cedar which is why Beech does not make a good choice for external furniture. It differs from Cedar in that it is not highly scented wood unlike Cedar.

Well the basic beech shoe trees arrived today and to be honest I can't really fault them...they do what they say on the tin so to speak. The springs appear to be tough enough to hold the shape although I'd say the actual wood part seems more like an 8 1/2 than a nine for fit but suitable for my needs and at a fair price. :thumbup1:

Attachments

• $shoe trees.jpg
    $shoe trees.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for your input.....out of interest why do you say cedar not beech for shoe trees? Is this a personal preference thing? This caught me as a strange statement and provoked my curiosity. After doing a quick Google it would appear that Beech is a highly absorbent wood more so than Cedar which is why Beech does not make a good choice for external furniture. It differs from Cedar in that it is not highly scented wood unlike Cedar.

You pretty much answered you own question ... beech will absorb moisture, cedar will absorb moisture and aroma. Because it is quite absorbent, beech is also somewhat more prone than cedar to warping and splitting if it gets too wet. Hopefully your shoes won't have quite that much moisture to absorb <g>.

At the risk of getting pounced on, I've always wondered how much good shoe trees really do. I have a couple pairs that I use on my AEs but I'm not convinced that I really need them. I have a pair of bostonians that are going on 5yrs old and I never used shoe trees in them. When I first purchased them the salesman tried to sell me a pair of shoe trees. I just assumed that my foot will make them keep their shape and air will dry them out. Since then, I've worn them far more frequently than I should have and I haven't noticed any warping.

OK, let me have it (gulp)

I've got a couple pair that don't usually have trees in them either ... I think it really depends on how frequently (or infrequently) you wear them, and how well made they are. I've got a pair of Aldens that I don't wear that often, and I don't think the lack of trees will make a bit of difference.

Top Bottom