What's new

Chicago Area - The Close Shave"

Gents:

I’ve met up a few times with Sir Nix Alot to trade items, have some coffee and try to figure out why the rest of the civilized world hasn’t joined us in our favorite hobby (addiction?).

We had a thought: Why not see if others are interested too?

So here is a proposed idea. Following the holidays we all meet on a Saturday morning at a local Starbucks for an hour or two. It strikes me as convenient for city and suburban residents to have it off a major expressway midway between the city and suburbs. The place we have met before already fits the bill being just off Interstate 55 in Burr Ridge at County Line Road. It is a Starbucks big enough for us to push some tables together and hand stuff around.

For now, just weigh in if interested. I guess the idea would be to bring stuff to show around the table and bring stuff to trade. The bonus is we get to put faces to Avatars! It might be we could have a raffle drawing with guys kicking in an item to raffle off, that sort of thing.

Scott

depending on the date i would be interested in going i did not really meet anybody at the expo at the palmer house i just need notice as for i work sat mornings and would need to sched it in advance with work. as for the gift idea i think it is a good idea because there are items i know i have wanted to try like (a bayrum product ) that in the store i am not 100% sold on but hear great things and do not really want to spend the money on a bottle and not like it. so if you want to do like a fave product exchange or sample size of multiple fave products either way i think its a good idea plus like you said get to know the people we speak to every day. as for a product to raffle off i think thats a great idea i know ill chip in something it just gives me another reason to go to merz and "look" around.

Sounds good Scott! I look forward to meeting other forum members. Hopefully, the date will work out with family schedules.

I'm down. I've enjoyed meeting up with Scott.

Scott is a great guy. I met up with him to discuss the aftershave that he makes (http://www.captainschoicestore.com/p/testimonials.html). Ended up meeting him a few more times and enjoying talking about shaving and other interesting topics. Interesting guy, lots to talk about. We even talked about this get together (his idea).

We swapped last time and I came out ahead; he hooked me up with a lot of nice creams and aftershaves (including his own) that I have been using with my Grandfathers pre-1947 Milord.

First meeting - we could have a blade swap? We all have blades right? I have a few kinds on hand and I always like trying new ones. If anyone has some Gillette 7 O'clocks (any color) I would be delighted to try them out. I have some Dorcos, Red Personna, Voskhog, Feathers, Derby, and a few more I cant think of off the top of my head. I can bring a few of each kind to trade. Unless you want more.

I was going to bring my Milord to show Scott the next time we met - so you can check that out too. Be nice to meet some of you.

i happen to have some 7 0'clocks in my stash that im not using if this get together happens ill make sure to bring them.

i have the green super stainless just an fyi and i would not mind giving a Red Personna a go, never used them before let me know i would def be interested of you are.

I'm down for it, Burr Ridge is just a short hop on 294 for me.

P.S. when i read the title, i had thought you found something special at the Alsip Swap-O-Rama, :lol:

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'm up for this, Clutch Cargo just told me about it. We're having lunch next week. Small world, we work less than 1/2 mile from each other.

Subscribed so I'll get notice of updates.

I was thinking just the same thing myself. This is utterly random but let me pick a date in January and it must be a Saturday so let’s go with January 21.

So put it on your calendars for January 21, 9:00 a.m. at the Starbuck’s in Burr Ridge right off County Line Road. I count ten of us or so. Sir-Nix-Alot, can you stop at the Starbuck’s talk to the manager and explain that ten thirsty, clean shaven guys would like to drink his coffee - can we count on the manager to allow us to push together some tables?

Secondly, I’ll PM a moderator and try to get permission to post a notice on the General Forum and a few others that we are gathering.

It will be great to meet for a time. I will bring an item (cannot discuss the item as this is a non-commercial forum and it is important to keep commercial stuff in the commercial forums) that will go to the lucky winner of our names in the hat drawing. Also, count on me having free samples for those who didn’t win the drawing - no losers! Is there anyone else who might bring an item to raffle off? It would be fun to have several items to raffle off and perhaps if you have an unusual item bring it to show around.

Feel free too if you want to bring stuff to trade or swap, no problem. I’m in it for the fellowship mainly and am looking forward to meeting everyone! :thumbsup:

Would there be anyway possible to do this on the north side? I would be willing to make the drive, but that's a haul from Milwaukee.

If not, that's cool too.

Oops, nevermind.

id be happy to pick up a product for a raffle.... the hard part will be trying to pick something unique...hmmm....

I just corresponded with a moderator regarding a post in another forum. As with much here, common sense prevails. Posting in another forum isn’t allowed because if everyone were to do so.... etc. which makes sense to me upon reflection. It must be contained to the appropriate forum - that is the whole point of the sub forms.

Here is what we are allowed to do. If you know of another member here at B&B who live in the area but may not know of the Get Together, jot them a PM.

Here is the important part: Please do not make this a campaign nor are we to in any way badger (sorry, couldn’t resist) guys into attending. Just a very simple note of awareness, “Hey, over on the Get Together forum there is a local gathering."

Now, before we even do this - how does this sound? I am very cool with not PMing anyone and just keep it the ten of us or so. Numbers isn’t everything but I have read of other gatherings and afterwards the anguish of others who just didn’t know.

Maybe weigh in over the next few days - which way do we want to go? Keep it here and if they find it fine and if they don’t, oh well. Or do we politely let others know of it? Life being what it is if we have ten for sure attending, when the morning arrives there will be six of us. That is just how these things are.

Let us all know what you think and we can proceed.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
January 21, 9:00 a.m. at the Starbuck’s in Burr Ridge right off County Line Road

Got it. In!

Top Bottom