What's new

Vauge information

I have seen a straight razor- wedge shape, London stamp, with box, one scale broken across the pin (scales will need replaced) spots on the blade and a need for sharpening. How much would you pay for something like this (in uk- or I will convert).

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The box doesnt add much value. Its hard to place a value without seeing the blade in person. How wide is it? If its a run of the mill razor in good shape I would pay maybe 20.00 for blade only. Bad shape much less...of course I am quite frugal and hate to pay more than 35.00 or so for anything LOL. GL

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yes, and they are only an opinion...if you feel comfortable paying more then by all means go for it :thumbup1: cheers!

I am sufficiently clueless and new to this that I am happy to use the judgement of others until I know better for myself. It was just over th 20$, but came with a automatic strop made of metal with no razor. So it might be worth it. Jury is still out and we leave here tomorrow to go back home

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As long as there is no rust on or near the edge, there is not too much hone wear, the width of the blade is even from edge to spine, and there are no cracks and chips on the blade...should be ok. GL

We will leave it, chances are there is a better one for the same money that we will come across in the future, as we do not have a strop or anything yet we can afford to be patient.

Gambling on vintage straights without knowing much about them is way too much of a risk, which is why we suggest buying from B+B vendors - they give just as good if not better prices than most, and stand by their products!

Legion

Staff member
Gambling on vintage straights without knowing much about them is way too much of a risk, which is why we suggest buying from B+B vendors - they give just as good if not better prices than most, and stand by their products!

+1

One of the regulars here will be able to hook you up with what you need, and chances are it will be shave ready. Once you have that you can start speculating on ebay and "in the wild" purchases. You want to feel confident that your first razor is sound.

It is ok, it was just something we saw and wondered about. We had walked out and not bought it, but I wanted to make sure I was right to walk away from that one before it was too late to walk back. DH is not sure if he wants to go down the straight route, and I am just looking at his options to know which way to go.

Top Bottom