What's new

Williams 'Lectric Shave Preshave

proxy.php

It's a great idea...but I think it's been done before...

I do a variation of this pretty often. I can't get along with Burt's Bees Bay Rum Shaving Soap as a shave soap, so in the shower it went. I'll often use it as a pre shave face soap.

Most shaving soaps have ingredients that are designed to soften the beard, so using them as a pre-shave face wash makes perfect sense.

Yep, that's what I said, Williams Preshave. Bet you never heard of it. That's because the company doesn't know what it has.

I've been using Williams Mug Soap as my "preshave" for about a week now and I think it beats the Castle Forbes lotion by a mile. Instead of my regular liquid soap to wash my face, I've been washing with the puck of Williams I decided I didn't want to shave with; harder to lather than most, but it gives a perfectly acceptable shave. I used it as a shower soap for a week or so, and liked how it worked. It occurred to me that it might make a good preshave because of the tallow; left my skin feeling real smooth after showering.

I get way less irritation on a 2-3 pass shave than with anything else.

Wonder what else might work like that. I'm thinking Mitchell's Wool Fat might be even better due to the lanolin.

Note that I usually shave before I shower, not in or afterward.

I am not surprised: any good shave soap can be used for pre shave lather. So, Williams qualifies :thumbup1: I use remainders of my shave sticks for this, tho, as I can not get Williams downhere...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I know, it says electric razor on the bottle and pre-shave, not aftershave... This stuff is available at pretty much any supermarket or pharmacy that I walk in.

I'm looking at the ingredients:
SD Alcohol 40B, Isopropyl Myristate, Water, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance, Benzophenone 1, Green Tea, Trisodium HEDTA, Green 5, Yellow 10, Orange 4.

It says pre-shave but the ingredients seem ok to be used as an Aftershave? Does it work?

Something to note, on my block of osma alum it states it can be used as a preshave for electric as well. To my mind it makes sense that a preshave for one might be a good aftershave for the other.

When I first started wet shaving coming from electric I tried the alum and it did seem to work nicely.

Luc

Staff member
From what I see, other than having a lot of alcohol in there, it doesn't seem too bad unless I'm missing something...

Luc

Staff member
So, I did some research and it seems like it's either borderline ok as Aftershave or it will dry the skin too much because of the alcohol... I think this is a case closed...

So, I did some research and it seems like it's either borderline ok as Aftershave or it will dry the skin too much because of the alcohol... I think this is a case closed...

So large a percentage of men my age have always electric shaved, that I have made numerous attempts to go along with the majority, and failed every time. Only as a portable emergency, not to be used on successive days, I own and keep charged, a Norelco cordless, which rides around in my car about half the year (the less-overheated half), when it won't be damaged by the kind of heat that can build up inside a car in a South Texas afternoon's sunlight.

I tried 'Lectric Shave several times, and it hasn't gotten any better, but Mennen's Afta is available as a pre-electric. Same as Afta altershave, it is a lotion, not a splash, and while it might not make the emergency shaves with the shaver end up any closer, I think it does reduces the level of skin irritation some.

I know, it says electric razor on the bottle and pre-shave, not aftershave... This stuff is available at pretty much any supermarket or pharmacy that I walk in.

I'm looking at the ingredients:
SD Alcohol 40B, Isopropyl Myristate, Water, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance, Benzophenone 1, Green Tea, Trisodium HEDTA, Green 5, Yellow 10, Orange 4.

It says pre-shave but the ingredients seem ok to be used as an Aftershave? Does it work?
re: Isopropyl Myristate
It's liquid wrench

Wrench [rench]
verb (used with object)
1. to twist suddenly and forcibly; pull, jerk, or force by a violent twist: He wrenched the prisoner's wrist.
2. to overstrain or injure (the ankle, knee, etc.) by a sudden, violent twist: When she fell, she wrenched her ankle.
3. to affect distressingly as if by a wrench.
4.to wrest, as from the right use or meaning: to wrench the facts out of context.

Shouldn't there be a #5 that explains why we don't use this here?

Last edited:
Ok, I'm digging up an old thread, but I like the scent of Williams 'lectric shave and wanted to know if there is something that has the same scent; either in aftershave or cologne, but with out the EDTA or HEDTA in it.
1214850_26__08516_zoom.png
011509221513_1.jpg

I have used Williams Lectric Shave for years, and am happy with it except for one issue. I keep it in the medicine cabinet on a plastic shelf, and the lotion runs down the side of the bottle after use and forms a scum-like residue on the shelf where the bottle rests. I have tried a number of things (WD-40, alcohol, etc.) to remove the reside, but with no success. Any ideas?

I have used Williams Lectric Shave for years, and am happy with it except for one issue. I keep it in the medicine cabinet on a plastic shelf, and the lotion runs down the side of the bottle after use and forms a scum-like residue on the shelf where the bottle rests. I have tried a number of things (WD-40, alcohol, etc.) to remove the reside, but with no success. Any ideas?
More elelectric shave on a rag. If it dissolved it to begin with, it should again.

Top Bottom