What's new

Williams 'Lectric Shave Preshave

Today i was waiting for my gf while she had an appointment, so i went at my local drugstore looking for shaving product, there was a big bottle of Aqua Velva at 3,99$, i took it, i took also 2 pucks of Williams(never tried it before),
and i saw the Lectric Shave product.
They say it's a pre-shave product but i kind of doubt that a product that contains mostly alcohol haves a good pre-shave effect on the face.
Let me know what you think about that product if you tried that product before.
Thanks.

Well, in short, it's not fancy but it works.

From reading your post I'm assuming you are intending it for wet shaving and it does not work for that purpose.

Lectric Shave dries your whiskers so the electric razor can cut them easier, and this is not what you tipically want when wet shaving.

If you want a pre shave product for wet shaving there are many options out there, lectric shave isn't one of them.

For use with an electric razor it works fairly well though.

For use with an electric razor it works fairly well though.

I'll second that. Back when I used electric, I would never be without good ol' Lectric Shave. I'd get horrible razor bumps on my neck without it.

I still have one lonely bottle of green Lectric Shave in my bathroom cabinet somewhere, though the electric razor is long since gone (several years now). :blush:

Today i was waiting for my gf while she had an appointment, so i went at my local drugstore looking for shaving product, there was a big bottle of Aqua Velva at 3,99$, i took it, i took also 2 pucks of Williams(never tried it before),
and i saw the Lectric Shave product.
They say it's a pre-shave product but i kind of doubt that a product that contains mostly alcohol haves a good pre-shave effect on the face.
Let me know what you think about that product if you tried that product before.
Thanks.

First off, I think Aqua Velva is great stuff!!!

As for Lectric Shave, It never did much for me but clog the screens on my electric razor. I didn't understand what it was doing so I gave up using it.

Last edited:
I used to use Lectric shave when I used an electric razor (back in the workaholic days) and it works quite well for that purpose. As was said previously it's not for wet shaving. I still have a bottle of it in my cabinet but I use it for stripping paint and such, seriously it's tolulene or something really vile like acitone or something. :001_cool: It works great for taking that sticky stuff thats left behind when you pull a price tag off of jars and such. Don't use it on plastic though, it will melt or etch into it. :scared:

Williams is by no means "bad", but there is much better out there. It's just ok on its own, but even better if making a superlather - load up your brush with Williams and then combine that with your favorite cream (i.e. - Proraso)....one good lather!

Today, for the first time since I embarked on this great shave quest, I shaved with my electric razor, a Panasonic ES8066. On the occasional day with no time for a proper shave, I have in the past resorted to an M3, but the M3 feels so unpleasant to me in contrast to my now usual Gillette Slim, I just can't do it. The electric shaver, however, was not so bad; washed my face afterwards with some good Speick bar soap, and touched up with a disposable. Maybe five minutes as opposed to a half hour minimum for a real shave. More like 45 minutes, really. Later today I was in the grocery store and my eye fell on the Lectric Shave. And I wondered: does it actually do anything? I know Speick makes some sort of purported electric pre-shave. Anybody tried it for that purpose?

It does rise to some occasions.

Seriously, though, it's been a long time, but it did help somehow with an electric. Just can't remember what it does. I think it kind of made the thing glide over my face easier. Maybe all it did was act as a moisture barrier, since moisture on your face means a lot more friction.

R

rodeo

I used it off and on when I used an electric on a regular basis. I think it helps to raise your whiskers and it acts as a lube to help your razor glide over your face. It's cheap enough if I recall and I probably still have some in my bathroom cabinet.

I've heard all the arguements on why this stuff should never be used for wet shaving - it contains a lot of alcohol, makes your whiskers stiffer - the opposite of what you want, etc.

But, in my case it did well to lube my skin as a pre-shave lotion applied before using my proraso cream. Very little irritaion. Also, I think it does still help in getting the whiskers to "stand up". I'm getting bbs shaves almost every time.

As far as making your whiskers "stiffer" - yes, I think it does do that. But, it isn't a probably as long as you're using a sharp DE or SE blade. Think about it, how much sharper can the blades of an electric razor be? And most people think it works fine with their electric.

YMMV, but for $5, it may be worth experimenting with.

I dunno, LS didn't improve my shave even when I was a dedicated electric shaver. It just made my skin greasier. I doubt it would be any better for wetshaving. Any vegetable oil would probably be a better pre-shave.

I tossed the LS a while ago.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Yep, that's what I said, Williams Preshave. Bet you never heard of it. That's because the company doesn't know what it has.

I've been using Williams Mug Soap as my "preshave" for about a week now and I think it beats the Castle Forbes lotion by a mile. Instead of my regular liquid soap to wash my face, I've been washing with the puck of Williams I decided I didn't want to shave with; harder to lather than most, but it gives a perfectly acceptable shave. I used it as a shower soap for a week or so, and liked how it worked. It occurred to me that it might make a good preshave because of the tallow; left my skin feeling real smooth after showering.

How do you use it? Wet face with good hot water, rub soap directly on face. Use hand to rub it in and make a lather; makes a much richer, smoother lather than regular hand or bath soap. Wet hand on wash cloth for just a little more water. Wipe soap of face with washcloth, or rinse with water. Proceed to shave with your regular shave soap or cream the way you normally do.

I get way less irritation on a 2-3 pass shave than with anything else.

Wonder what else might work like that. I'm thinking Mitchell's Wool Fat might be even better due to the lanolin.

Note that I usually shave before I shower, not in or afterward.

Flame on WHAD.:spockflam

Top Bottom