What's new

Afghanistan PIF for my 2000th Post.

Hello fellow B&Bers.
I just want to say what an honor and a privelage it is to be part of such an amazing group of men and women. The compassion, generosity, helpfulness, and selflessness that I see on this board is above anything I've seen anywhere else. And even though we haven't met, I consider many of you my friends.

I've done a few PIFs in the past, normally for Newbies, but this time I'm celebrating a milestone (2000 posts!) so this will be for more active members. This is a NON-SHAVING PIF. I will be acquiring a few things locally here in Afghanistan, all non-shaving related. I know one thing I'm getting, the rest I have not figured out yet. But all will be a surprise.

Requirements:
-250 Post count minimum (waived if you've participated in any of the PIF Giveaway Games (Rounds 1-4) with me)
-Say you're in for the PIF, but be creative, don't just say, "I'm In".
-Post a picture (yours or borrowed from the interwebs) of Freedom i.e. what does freedom mean to you, or what do you do while enjoying your freedom, etc. Whatever your interpretation is, I'm not looking for anything specific, just a pic.
-After PIF completion, the winner will post a pic of what they've received.

PIF will run at least until 1 Dec, maybe longer if people keep posting. Random number draw will select the winner. PIF will be shipped sometime in December. This PIF is open to anyone Worldwide.

proxy.php

$ReaganStatue.jpg

This is the statue of President Reagan that was erected yesterday in Poland. I can think of no greater example of freedom than another country honoring a US president who helped them break the yoke of Communism. Thanks for the PIF - I'm in. Congrats on hitting your 2000th and thank you for your service.

Last edited:
$Jake and Michael fishing.jpg
This is my son and nephew fishing in Mammoth Lakes, CA...this is what freedom means to me, the knowledge that my kids will be able to grow up and enjoy the freedoms that I did as a kid. I am grateful to those who have made this freedom possible and to those who are currently ensuring that my kid's kids will be able to experience the same.

KJ, I'm glad to hear that you're doing well, congrats on 2K!

Very cool idea there, Flyboy. I'd love to be considered for this. I enjoy collecting things from different cultures, and being in the canoe club I don't get that far inland usually. Stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Thank you KJ, I would like to be in on this. To me, Freedom is epitomized by the Marine lapel pin of my father's. I have the pin attached to the strap of my brief case. He was on Iwo Jima when the flag was raise, but was busy with other things at the time.

View attachment 202059

I love these. Korean War Momorial is a must see when it's snowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freedom, to me, means sacrifice. The drawing below, "Vietnam Reflections" by Lee Tater, is one of my favorites. The photo is mine.

I remember the food in KAF being less than average. If you ever get the chance to get out to Leatherneck, the food there is excellent. Also, is the poo poo pond still at KAF?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have been a volunteer many times in my life. I was a volunteer member of the military, a tradition that has long standing in my family, back through the Vietnam,, WWII, Korea, Civil and Revolutionary Wars.

One thing that has never been far from my mind, though, is that Freedom comes at a high cost, and I was one willing to pay that price, if necessary. I am fortunate that was one check that never got cashed. Others were not as fortunate. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm all in.

$Funeral_Detail_Riderless_Horse.jpg

Last edited:
I remember the food in KAF being less than average. If you ever get the chance to get out to Leatherneck, the food there is excellent. Also, is the poo poo pond still at KAF?

Yes, I am continually underwhelmed by the food here. And yes, the Poo Pond is in full effect. Outside KAF, I've only been to Kabul. Food there was the same as here, or slightly worse. They did have a good, but expensive, Thai restaurant though.

Great pics so far, keep them coming!

Yes, I am continually underwhelmed by the food here. And yes, the Poo Pond is in full effect. Outside KAF, I've only been to Kabul. Food there was the same as here, or slightly worse. They did have a good, but expensive, Thai restaurant though.

Great pics so far, keep them coming!

Not sure about KAF or Kabul, but the food at Dwyer is a darn sight better than FSR's and MRE's. DFAC4 for the grilled to order burgers, DFAC2 for the grilled cheese, DFAC1 (if you're lucky enough to know wherre it is) for the Grilled steaks on Friday.

cool PIF. thinking of freedom it is easy to go right to the men and women of the military. particularly those how gave all. my photo may not be military in nature, but i did want to use it because of the timing, and (for me anyway) it was very moving.

Attachments

• $article-1126490-0064C0D30000044C-859_468x482.jpg
    $article-1126490-0064C0D30000044C-859_468x482.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 217
this is the one i really wanted

Attachments

• $98375_jackie-kennedy-john-f-kennedy-jr-and-family-attend-president-john-f-kennedys-funeral-on-no.jp
    $98375_jackie-kennedy-john-f-kennedy-jr-and-family-attend-president-john-f-kennedys-funeral-on-no.jp
    86 KB · Views: 217
I'm not in the PIF too, but I think that being able to participate in a community of your choice on your terms is freedom (rather like B&B) Congratulations

I would like a shot at your mystery goods. To me freedom means I can jump on my bike and go! I believe freedom most definitely has a cost that has been paid by many and when we can we should show appreciation for those who have secured this right for us. Thanks can be expressed through words or actions and even a game do domino's with an old man.

The first few pictures are from a motorcycle trip my little brother and I took to the Big Bend region in West Texas/Mexico in 2010. The middle picture is of Shorty, my wife's Grandfather USAF retired from a domino session last week (I'm lucky I got out of there with the shirt on my back!) Then the last few are from the West Texas trip, it's so peaceful out there....

$Big Bend 2010 273.jpg$089.jpg$Shorty.jpg

$Big Bend 2010 199.jpg$Big Bend 2010 137.jpg

Top Bottom