What's new

The nuclear shave (Al's Bomb)

I've seen Al's shaving cream mentioned enough around the forums to peak my interest for "The Bomb", and finally I ordered a tub last week. Along with the after shave balm. Both in the Bay Rum Calypso scent.

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-11-22

So it was shaving time. I scooped out a little cream and smeared it in my scuttle per the instructions and fairly quickly whipped up a decent lather.

Did my usual prep by massaging some lather into my face and let it sit while stropping the razor. The scent is awesome, familiar Bay Rum, but with a nice warm sweet spicy tone to it, love it!

I lathered it up as I usually do, to a quite moist and sloppy lather. Many soaps and creams needs a fair bit of water added that for maximum slickness IME
A few strokes into the shave I was quite disappointed, not much glide and the lather seemed to dry out before it should. Clearly treating as most of my other creams wasn't the way to go here.

I finished my first pass and went at it again. I added a dollop of cream into the sloppy lather and this time I didn't add any water and the result was a really thick lather, think canned goo thick. I figured I'd try the other end of lather consistency and see how it went. I painted my face to Santa-like richness and was ready for the second pass.
Halfway through the first stroke I was all YES!, this is how it's supposed to be! Awesome glide, just like I want it. The initial bad first impression disappeared in a flash and I enjoyed an awesome shave. I generally pay little attention to the "cushion" aspect of my lather, but fans of this will love Da Bomb. I give it a big thumbs up on all aspects.

I rinsed with cold water, used my alum block, rinsed again and applied some of the after shave balm:

$83254d1321966075-nuclear-shave-photoshop_the_nuclear_explosion___bomb_011528_.jpg

This balm got BURN! Woa awesome! And rich and moisturizing as well, and the same awesome scent. But yeah, it burns delightfylly and it's the real bomb! :)

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-11-22

Super happy with my first Al's products, highly recommended!

I am still trying to get up my nerve to actually shave with the Calypso!! Simlar to you, I bought it due to all the great reviews here … but I just can’t get past the scent :cursing:!! It’s sooo peppery and reminds me of a head shop lol!! Maybe when the weather cools enough I’ll brave another try!

I love Al's cream, and the scents he has available are very nice. I really spent a lot of time cooking up some custom scent ideas, and while a couple of them are very good, for the most part, after I tried the standard scents he offers, I've decided it'll be a rare thing indeed that I need to veer off into custom scenting. Calypso is really good stuff IMO, and I'm not easy to please when it comes to bay rum.

Dang it guys. I'm trying to try way too many products as it is now.

Anyway, it looks like I should add Al's to my list. If anyone want to swap/PIF a sample, I'd be happy to hear from you via PM.

MaxP

Hi Blix,

Thanks for your nice & enthoustic review.

I saw your Calypso / Feather SS - SOTD picture (very nice !!!).

$sotd231111.jpg

Yesterday I order by Al's Shaving Products:

Calypso Shaving Cream + Calypso After Shave Balm (I love Bay Rum)
Jubilee Shaving Cream
Palermo Shaving Cream

Regards,
Eelco

So far Al's "Calypso" is one of the five best shaves I've gotten. His "Palermo" is also on that short list. They are astounding products, and both are on my Christmas list. I can only "+1" everything the OP wrote about lather quality, cushion, glide, and scent.

Hi Blix,

Thanks for your nice & enthoustic review.

I saw your Calypso / Feather SS - SOTD picture (very nice !!!).

Yesterday I order by Al's Shaving Products:

Calypso Shaving Cream + Calypso After Shave Balm (I love Bay Rum)
Jubilee Shaving Cream
Palermo Shaving Cream

Regards,
Eelco

Thank you, you'll have great time with Al's creams! :001_smile

So far Al's "Calypso" is one of the five best shaves I've gotten. His "Palermo" is also on that short list. They are astounding products, and both are on my Christmas list. I can only "+1" everything the OP wrote about lather quality, cushion, glide, and scent.

Yeah, I sure have some other scents on the short list now.

Blix's review is dead on, however, I'm not happy with the balm.

There's nothing wrong with the product, I just can't get it out of the container!
It's a thick creamy balm... as thick as Purel skin cream, and that little brown bottle is difficult to squeeze.

I resorted to storing the bottle inverted, which is a chore on it's own as the top of the cap is slightly domed, so it needs to be wedged.
Honestly, I rarely use it even though it is a fantastic product.
It needs to be a larger quantity in a pump container, or a softer bottle.

The calm is crazy think but works quite well. The cream is stellar. Unlike your experience, I found the cream to create mounds of slick lather worth only a pea-sized amount. I own three creams and they are all equally awesome. Excellent product IMHO.

Top Bottom