What's new

1/4 Hollow versus Extra Full-Hollow

The title says it all: if you had to chose between a modern-production 1/4-hollow grind and an extra full-hollow alternative, which one would you chose and why?

R

Rsq

Quarter hollow
I like to let the weight of the razor do the work and apply no pressure. This is is easier with a quarter hollow. Full hollow is good too, certainly easier to hone, but requires more attention to use

I'm a fan of the heavier grinds, and my everyday blade is a quarter hollow (very wedgey). The more hollow grinds are easier to hone (IMO) but the heavier ones seem (to me) to mow down the stubble with greater simplicity. In other words, I don't like feedback in my razors. Of course, YMMV.

-Matt-

I use both but if I had to choose, then extra full hollow. I find them lighter and easier to handle. I like the feel of the thin blade and the audible feedback.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's all a matter of feedback in my opinion, as I get equally good shaves with all grinds. I have a near wedge that took a nice edge...but when I nicked the edge it broke my heart...honing bevels into wedges without tape is an exercise in patience.

I am really lusting for a Hart, so my pick would be 1/4 hollow.

Have to admit that I share Kent's Hart-lust. And having played around with some extra full-hollow razors, my feeling is that these will deliver the closer shave; yet there is something in the 18th-century portrait sense that appeals to me with the heavier grinds...

I'm sorry but since we're all talking about feed-back, heft and ease of honing, why isn't a frame-back in the suggestion??

proxy.php

Charlie Lewis Custom 8/8 Frame Back Razor in Mesquite Scales

I just think it has the best of both worlds... But if I had to chose I would probably go with 1/4 hollow because of the weight of the blade.

- Morten

Is it that difficult to horn a 1/4 hollow?

No; not really. Takes a bit more time but that's all.

I would pick the 1/4 grind new production razor over an old full hollow. Keep in mind I already have the Hart and it took one hell of an edge. :thumbup:

Ummmm .......Thats a nice one Morton but who makes Framebacks currently as a production razor?

Ouch.. - Good comeback! All I can think of is customs like the C. Lewis there or perhaps some Japanese company still manufacture western style framebacks....??

The Toyo, Diamond brand or other Tokyo brands??
- Morten

No; not really. Takes a bit more time but that's all.

I would pick the 1/4 grind new production razor over an old full hollow. Keep in mind I already have the Hart and it took one hell of an edge. :thumbup:

Hmm. Looks like I have to try a Hart.

My preference seems so far to be really super hollow and 1/4 grind, but I'm fine with most grinds really. :001_smile

I like both, but comparing the Hart Steel 1/4 hollow to my TI "Singing" extra hollow is difficult (both 6/8). If I had to use just one, it would probably be the Hart Steel.

Extra hollow for me. Better 'articulation' and sense of detail, more sensitivity, slight flex is better for contours , etc. I can shave 'by sound' with a full hollow. Generally better (aesthetic) stropping sensation (for my taste).
:letterk1:

I find either shaves well for me. If I had to choose I'd pick the quarter hollow just because there are not as many around. Seems full hollow you can find about anywhere.

Top Bottom