What's new

Derby Factoids

What's the low-down on Derby's? I know every blade has its lovers and haters, so I'm not interested in your feelings about them (sorry mates, no offense) - I'm just lookin' for some facts if anyone happens to know:

(1) Where are they made? (Originally I was told Turkey, but I've also heard England, Japan, so does anyone know for sure?)

(2) What (non-English) language is written on the blade?

(3) Why are the blade edges numbered 1,2,3,4? What's the purpose of this?

1) Turkey
2) Arabic. As far as a very novice Arabic reader friend of mine can tell, it says the same thing as the English writing on the blade/packaging.
3) Some folks like to physically rotate their blades between shaves. I don't recommend this as I find 2-3 shaves on one orientation to be fine and then I just throw them away, especially considering how cheap Derbys are. The numbers are to keep the orientations straight so you can go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 rotating the same blade.

(3) Why are the blade edges numbered 1,2,3,4? What's the purpose of this?
I believe the edges are numbered to keep track of them, though once loaded it is hard to know what you have where. So, I am guessing is more for quality control when they are produced.

Welcome to B&B!!!

1) Turkey
2) Arabic. As far as a very novice Arabic reader friend of mine can tell, it says the same thing as the English writing on the blade/packaging.
3) Some folks like to physically rotate their blades between shaves. I don't recommend this as I find 2-3 shaves on one orientation to be fine and then I just throw them away, especially considering how cheap Derbys are. The numbers are to keep the orientations straight so you can go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 rotating the same blade.

I beg to differ on point 2. It is Turkish.

I beg to differ on point 2. It is Turkish.

Actually, you're right. As I don't have my blades right in front of me at this exact second, I was thinking about the 2nd line on the new boxes which most certainly is Arabic. However, the line below the Arabic and the "paslanmaz celik" on the blade is indeed Turkish (and means "stainless steel").

Edit: Bobby Brown of Wetshaving??? :a23:
Oh now honestly... :frown2:

Cool. Thanks. Here's some more fodder:

How often you change your blade seems to be a matter of personal preference, but what's the average life expectancy of a Derby blade?

Like some other members on the forum, I expected DE blades to last as long as cartridge blades (sometimes several weeks) so changing your blade all the time takes some getting used to.

I use a Derby for 3 shaves (3-4 passes each) and then chuck'em. No sense trying to gain a few extra shaves for a dime.

I think a 7 day use is a good rule of thumb, that way you always remember to change your blades on the same day.

Derby blades seem noticeably thinner than other brands (Merkur specifically) -- What's the advantage/disadvantage of this?

I change blades once per week no matter how many shaves I have had. The number would ususally be any where between 5 and 7

I believe the edges are numbered to keep track of them, though once loaded it is hard to know what you have where. So, I am guessing is more for quality control when they are produced.

Welcome to B&B!!!

I doubt it's for quality control. I doubt they make the 1's on one line, 2's on another, 3's on another..... All the blades are the same, and different numbers are just stamped on. That's how I see it, anyway.

Cool. Thanks. Here's some more fodder:

How often you change your blade seems to be a matter of personal preference, but what's the average life expectancy of a Derby blade?

Like some other members on the forum, I expected DE blades to last as long as cartridge blades (sometimes several weeks) so changing your blade all the time takes some getting used to.

Depends on your beard and skin type. If you have used other DE blades, when you changed them is a reference point but if the Derbu is still slicing cleanly, then you can get another shave out of it.

I just normally change my blade on the same day, so that I don't have to think about it.

Marty

I think the castlecraver nailed it with the numbering on the blades; most likely this is for rotating blades.

Re: thinner blades, in my estimation, it requires more precise manufacturing tolerances to produce the thinner blades, so I doubt cost is the primary consideration. A thinner blade is likely to lend itself to a sharper edge as well.

One practical advantage that I've noticed with the thinner Derby blade is that it sits better in the razor; because it's thinner and therefore more flexible, it conforms more closely to the razor's arched shape when tightened.

Does anyone know what Derby's web address is? I've seen posts mentioning that Derbys can be ordered directly from the manufacturer - is this true?

I use my derby extra's for about 6 shaves changing the blade every Sunday. I find this routine to be quite effective and have no problem with dulling or anything of that nature throughout the week and for the price Derby will be my main blade. :blush:

Does anyone know what Derby's web address is? I've seen posts mentioning that Derbys can be ordered directly from the manufacturer - is this true?

They sell on EBay, under the name of Derby-Exclusive, and the Derby U.S. representative is an occasional poster on B&B, under the name mnacikanar. I'm surprised Naci hasn't already chimed in on this thread.

I think the castlecraver nailed it with the numbering on the blades; most likely this is for rotating blades.

Re: thinner blades, in my estimation, it requires more precise manufacturing tolerances to produce the thinner blades, so I doubt cost is the primary consideration. A thinner blade is likely to lend itself to a sharper edge as well.

One practical advantage that I've noticed with the thinner Derby blade is that it sits better in the razor; because it's thinner and therefore more flexible, it conforms more closely to the razor's arched shape when tightened.

While I agree that a thinner blade can have performance advantages, I still hold to the fact that less material (it is stainless steel, after all) lowers production costs significantly. They import their rolls of steel from Sweden for manufacture in Turkey.

Here is the Manufacturer's web address, although it is not working for me right now. http://www.azmusebat.com/ It could be defunct.

I have dug up some Derby factoids from Derby International LLC.
http://www.alibaba.com/company/10955970.html

Here are the production specs on Derby blades.
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10966579/Standart_Double_Edge_Razor_Blade.html

I've been using Derbys almost exclusively since last November. I can get 3-4 shaves per blade doing 3 passes. More than 4 shaves on a blade and I'm begging for trouble.

I've gotten into the habit of changing my blade on Sunday and Wednesday. That gives me three shaves each since I often skip shaving on Saturday. If I do shave Saturday, I'll either use the old blade from the week one more time or, for special outings, go ahead and break out a new one a day earlier.

I was never able to go weeks on a cartridge blade. I pretty much changed them once a week.

Just for kicks, I tried flipping over my Derby blade (re: the numbered blade edges) and got a really great shave as if it were a new blade. So it does work, though your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom