What's new

What are you brewing?

Heya all,

Newbie to B&B, but been homebrewing for a couple years (my homebrewtalk.com site - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/jawats).

I am preparing to make a Belgian Strong Ale (Duvel) based on the following recipe:

Breiss Pilsen Light (Liquid)10 lbs
Breiss Golden (Dry) 2 lbs
Dingemans Aromatic Malt 2 lbs
Light Belgian Candi Sugar 2 lbs

Hops
1.5 oz - Styrian Goldings (substitute: Fuggle, Willamette)
1 oz - Saaz (substitute: Sladek, Lublin, Sterling, Ultra, Vangaurd)
1/2 oz - Saaz (substitute: Sladek, Lublin, Sterling, Ultra, Vangaurd)

Yeast
White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast (WLP570) (or)
Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale (1388)

1. Steep aromatic grains for 75 m. at 154 degrees. Remove.
2. Boil for 60 mins, adding Breiss malts and Goldings at 60 m.
3. Add 1 oz of Saaz at 15 m.
4. Add 1/2 of Saaz at 1 m.

Looks Like a good one! I love Duvel. Let us know how it turns out. I did a strong ale last year and it turned out pretty well. It could have used a little more age but I couldn't stop drinking it!

I had 2 1/2 cases of the Grolsh type bottles, 1 dozen were actually blue ones I bought from my homebrew supplier, the rest were actual Grolsh bottles with the lables cleaned off. Since I've been using the corny keg, I haven't used the bottles in years. So I went to craigslist looking to sell them. A fellow brewer that lives a few miles away was willing to buy them but I asked if he had a 6 gallon carboy. Luckily he was willing and we made a great trade, my 2 1/2 cases of bottle for a 6 gallon carboy.

BTW, my latest batch (see pictures above) which I brewed on November 23rd, is STILL fermenting! I've been checking by taking the airlock off, letting the pressure even out in the carboy (the new one), then setting the airlock back on. The little plastic thing that releases the bubble in the airlock floats up within 10 minutes, although I've only seen it release once in the last few days, its still floating.

I modified it slightly, and came up with the following, based on advice from a Homebrewtalk'er. Advice on those forums is almost always better followed than ignored:

Pilsen DME 10 lbs

Hops
1.5 oz - Styrian Goldings (60 m.)
1 oz - Saaz (15 m.)
1/2 oz - Saaz (5 m.)

Yeast
White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast (WLP570) (or)
Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale (1388)

5 gallon boil

1. Steep aromatic grains for 75 m. at 154 degrees. Remove.
2. Boil for 60 mins, adding Breiss maltsm sugar, and Goldings at 60 m.
3. Add 1 oz of Saaz at 15 m.
4. Add 1/2 of Saaz at 1 m.
5. Cool to 60 degrees and pitch yeast. Let rise to 70.
6. Lager

I have a few cases of my Autumn Maple clone that hopefully will be ready by christmas. Belgian ale with roasted yams, spices, and maple syrup. It came out to 8.7%abv. Sat in primary for 5 weeks and it's been in bottles for about 5 weeks, the one i opened a week ago wasn't fully carbonated yet. It tasted great though. I'm down to my last few bottles of saison and its tasting really nice after 3 months or so in bottles.

Just bottled some porter that I threw some bacon in. Pretty good so far but I think the bacon is going to age out. Added some more peppers to the same batch of porter and an going to keg the rest with coffee tomorrow.
How are you using the yams? Are you putting them in the mash?

Just bottled some porter that I threw some bacon in. Pretty good so far but I think the bacon is going to age out. Added some more peppers to the same batch of porter and an going to keg the rest with coffee tomorrow.
How are you using the yams? Are you putting them in the mash?

Yup, i roasted them for an hour or so in the oven, mashed them and tossed em into 2 grain socks and took them out with the grains before the boil. I'm doing only partial grain, but it came out really well, and pretty damn close to the original I think.
I started a Saison Brett last week that will hopefully be ready by late summer around berry time out here. I'm thinking about putting a few gallons on blueberries for a few more months then, but i'll have to see. I'm working out my recipe for a Supplication clone for next week's brew. After a few months off i'm trying to get into a brewing routine this year and trying some new things.

I just bottled a Munich with some roasted grain added. I made sure to use my favorite noble hops. Gotta have those. We'll see how it tastes in 2-3 weeks.

I haven't brewed in months. My brew partner is in the process of moving so we'll do it then. He does have a brick BBQ pit in his backyard that we may use for a beer or two.

Brewed for the first time in months on Sunday. Used up some of the leftover grains I had around and brewed a "Down Under" IPA with lots of late addition Australian (Galaxy) and NZ (Nelson Sauvin) hops. I have tried and enjoyed a few different beers made with Nelson Sauvin but never brewed with them myself. Which reminds me, time to go sniff the airlock! :drool:

I started homebrewing a bit less than 2 years ago. I haven't brewed anything since last summer though. Started kegging and doing all grain almost right away. I was at one point considering enrolling in the brewmaster program newly offered at a local college here. I want to plant some rhizomes one day as well. Supprised to see lots of homebrewers here at B&B. On second though it isn't really supprising.

brewed a "Down Under" IPA with lots of late addition
That reminds me of my first batch, which was an IPA. I didn't know extracts could be hopped or unhopped. I used a hopped can and added more hops to it, thinking it was the right way to do it. Man, that was one bitter brew, yet today that seems to be the trend; overly hopped beer.

Time to bring the home brew thread back to life...

I just transferred an Amber into secondary. Currently mashing an American Wheat beer that will go on the yeast cake from the Amber (US-05).

I have an attempt at a clone of Modus Hoperandi IPA in the fermenter right now. On tap I have some Skeeter Pee, and a Red Ale that I have been working on for a while. Next up to brew is my summer ale.

Top Bottom