What's new

What are you brewing?

Hey all

My Brew Club has a club owned system. Had people over my place last Saturday and we did 60+ Gallons of RIS. Started out with an OG of 1.108, currently sitting in my basement chuggin' away in one 55 gallon SS Drum and a 25 gallon SS Drum.

Mixing the Mash: (for a scale Reference, that little pot on the burner is a 10g Mega Pot)

$DSC_8413.jpg

Mid Brew:
$DSC_8428.jpg

Final Product:
$After.jpg

Blueberry wheat sounds fantastic! How legal is it to brew your own spirits in the states? I thought it was illegal here due to the potentially high methanol content but I spotted yeast for whiskey mash in my local brewing shop earlier so I guess that can't be right. I was introduced to plum brandy by a Romanian friend - a relative of his who is a nun brewed up some fantastic palinka, a serious kick *** powerful type of plum brandy and flavoured with rose water and he was kind enough to pass a couple of bottles along to me. I just transferred my mead to the demijohn and it doesn't look too appetising but it smells great - lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and orange peel heated into it :thumbup1: and now comes the long wait

Not sure if this was answered, but fermenting beverages is legal in most if not all states here. Distilling alcohol is not legal at all from what I know, definitely not in Pennsylvania or most others. Most states have a 'limit' of how much you can brew in a year, but I don't know anyone who has ever come close to it!

I just kegged a German Alt, and I have ingredients for a chocolate milk stoudt next. I saw someone posted they had a Stone IPA clone; wondering how it turned out and if they are willing to share the recipe for that. I like Stone beers a lot.

nice rig, my next brew is a nice clean IPA i've worked on over the years that is a perennial fav among my visitors. probably in two weeks i'll do it.

HOLY CRAP! No idea that folks also discussed brewing on here...

Ive got a half batch of hard apple cider that I pitched trappist yeast and added a bit of corn sugar for a little extra booze (for a friend who is on a GF diet).

Also have a Dubbel in the secondary. Not sure how it will turn out. Tasted it at transfer and got some very light hints plum and raisin, but primarily tasted like a Belgian brown. Hoping that as it continues to ferment and ripen (after bottling), that it will be better. I made a RIS back in April and had a bottle this past weekend. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! It is only just now really starting to come together.

another n00b (Specks) I know from a brewing forum I frequent and invited him over here... surely he'll chime in eventually or pass on the URL to the brewing forum we frequent.

Sweet set up!
On another note my beer is tasting pretty dang good! I might be moving soon so my designs on another brew have been put on hold. But on the bright side my mother in law is giving me her brew kit!

Sweet set up!
On another note my beer is tasting pretty dang good! I might be moving soon so my designs on another brew have been put on hold. But on the bright side my mother in law is giving me her brew kit!
Oh, lucky! Getting a gift like that is always great.
I too am slightly envious of CyclingCraig's brew club. It looks like a lot of fun! That and my 2.5 - 3 gallon setup looks mighty small now.
My latest adventure: reusing the yeast cake. I honestly had no idea what would happen. It sure didn't wait around to start fermenting once the new wort was put on it.

I too am slightly envious of CyclingCraig's brew club. It looks like a lot of fun! That and my 2.5 - 3 gallon setup looks mighty small now.
My latest adventure: reusing the yeast cake. I honestly had no idea what would happen. It sure didn't wait around to start fermenting once the new wort was put on it.
Once I get moved and have the new setup I will turn my Mr Beer kit into a root beer tap!

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP! No idea that folks also discussed brewing on here...

Ive got a half batch of hard apple cider that I pitched trappist yeast and added a bit of corn sugar for a little extra booze (for a friend who is on a GF diet).

Also have a Dubbel in the secondary. Not sure how it will turn out. Tasted it at transfer and got some very light hints plum and raisin, but primarily tasted like a Belgian brown. Hoping that as it continues to ferment and ripen (after bottling), that it will be better. I made a RIS back in April and had a bottle this past weekend. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! It is only just now really starting to come together.

any specifics on the cider, I am getting ready to make a batch myself soon. Curious on amounts, specific Trappist yeast, any other acidic additives or sugars, etc.

CyclingCraig- Thats a serious set up. way to go! Nothing compared to my 5 Gallon Kit from Brewers Best!

Thanks Guys,

It is really a cool brew club. We really only brew on the big equipment for "Club Projects" like this, or at big brew events. Most people in the club do 5 & 10 gallon batches.

For this batch, it's a club project, after primary fermentation the club owns some oak Bourbon barrels that we will move this batch into. It will sit in the oak barrel for 5 or 6 months aging in my basement. You can't really do things like this on a small system by yourself.

We have like 10 people in on this batch, and each person comes away with 5 gallons, you just have to wait 6 - 8 months for it.

I just homebrew in small batches using the Mr Beer fermenters. Sometimes I use the Mr Beer extracts, other times I go to the local brewer supply and buy DME. My favorite was a Vienna lager I brewed late last year, but I've got a blueberry oatmeal stout that I'm hoping will be ready to bottle this weekend. Got a Czech style pilsner fermenting in the garage, and when it's done, I'm doing another batch of Vienna, pitching right onto the cake from the pils.

My latest experiment is mango-orange mead, I need to get some beer on the go, I'm sick of all this waiting!

My first batch of homebrew, a Kolsch, was a disaster. My second batch a cream ale is very good. I'm really enjoying it. My third batch a session brown ale is in the 1st fermenter right now.

Bottled my blueberry oatmeal stout last week; cracked a bottle last night just for a taste sample, and it is insanely delicious. Bottled my helles style yesterday, and brewed a red lager to pitch onto the cake from the helles.

Just made 10 gallons of an oatmeal stout a couple weeks ago and is ready to be kegged.
Next on the agenda is another scottish or maybe a dark ale.

I am getting ready to do up some Plum ale as soon as I bottle my pale ale. I'm going to pitch it onto an existing yeast cake. I'm having trouble deciding on what hops to use, though. I'm thinking of going with Hallertau for a mild spiciness that lets the fruit shine through.

4 months after I started it my spiced mead has finally stopped fermenting so it's getting bottled this weekend, then I'll rack the apricot-ginger mead for a second time and my mango-orange mead for the fist time and sweeten it with some fruit juice (hopefully without the fermentation kicking back in too much) and I'll be left with an empty gallon demijohn; so I'll have to scour the net for ideas of what to fill it with!

Top Bottom