What's new

What do you recommend for face lathering?

I've been looking at Simpson brushes. Price is not an issue. I would however want a brush that will last (some of the badger hair on my current EJ brush are getting frizzy after 2 months...mostly since I started face lathering). I would prefer a harder brush to simulate face exfoliation. Excellent lathering is also important. One technique I was using with my EJ brush was squeezing the bristles together so that it feels more like exfoliating rather than putting on makeup with a brush.

Also, I mostly use soaps...not many creams.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I currently have a Simpson Berkeley (Best) which faces lathers wonderfully. I also have a Fendrihan house-brand silvertip which is very nice, but I prefer the Berkeley when I face lather (which is about 70% of the time). Basically, I don't think you can go wrong with any Simpson in Best once you figure out what handle shape you want.

Any TGN Finest would also do the job in admirable fashion.

Last edited:
My self included give a lot of love to the Duke 2 in Best. Got to say it's good un. I have howerver purchased a Special in pure for comparison.

I currently have a Simpson Berkeley (Best) which faces lathers wonderfully. I also have a Fendrihan house-brand silvertip which is very nice, but I prefer the Berkeley when I face lather (which is about 70% of the time). Basically, I don't thing you can go wrong with any Simpson in Best once you figure out what handle shape you want.

I totally agree. I have a Simpsons Commodore x1 myself which has the same knot dimensions as the Berkeley. I think they perform the way you described you want a brush to perform.

If you are looking for a bigger brush perhaps other Simpsons brushes in best badger like the chubbies will suit you.

I have a Colonel and it is great for face lathering. I rotate it with a Vie-Long Zurito (13061) when I want more exfoliation

My self included give a lot of love to the Duke 2 in Best. Got to say it's good un. I have howerver purchased a Special in pure for comparison.

+1 I've got a Duke 2 in Best and I face lather soaps exclusively. I love this brush! I also have a TGN 24mm finest that's in my fathers Simpson 59. But the duke 2 for me is hands down my favorite brush (for now).

In a nutshell:

An omega 10049 or proraso brush (basically the same brush). I use the technique of once soaked, letting all the water come out of the brush via gravity (usually takes 30 secs) and then add my shaving cream (usually proraso or taylors lemon and lime) into the middle of the brush. I then start face lathering and it usually takes a minute including time to add extra water. The resulting lather is superb and intend to do this more often. If I'm using a soap like proraso, figaro or cella, I make a point if following the same technique except swirl the brush on the soap for a good 30 to 45 secs, again the lather is superb.

I would prefer a harder brush to simulate face exfoliation. Excellent lathering is also important.
Sounds like you're describing a Simpson Berkeley. It has great backbone. The Duke 1 is also a great face lathering brush. It's a little softer than the Berkeley with a little less scritch, but excellent in the lathering department.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I think any Simpson Best in the Duke, Chubby, Classic or Fifty Series will be just perfect.

Someone mentioned a TGN super badger, but if you want some skritch and some exfoliation I would recommend TGN Black Badger or their Finest Badger. Both excellent for some skritch.

I find my Milk Churn to be a great face latherer. Is latherer a word? I like the handle very much. Anyways, no love for the Rover or Milk Churn?

-jim

I use the Classic 1. It's not too expensive and is excellent for face lathering. Judging by most responses, it seems like all Simpsons are good for face lathering.

Top Bottom