What's new

Everyday or Every other day???

when I was shaving with a cartridge razor I use to shave every other day, my face and neck just couldn't take it daily.

I've now switched to DE, my first shave there was less irritation than with a cartridge, I shaved the following 2 days in a row and the irritation seemed to get less and less each day. I then skipped a day and shaved today and I found there was more irritation than my last two DE shaves (still better than my cartidge days).

I was just wondering with the DE process as your are reducing the beard with each pass is it better to shave everyday so as you have less beard to reduce, thus you'd get a closer shave with fewer passes, than it is to shave every other day and reduce a fuller beard. (from an irritation standpoint)

My blade sampler arrived, so I'll do one more day on my second Merkur blade and try a Derby next.

Hutch
With a heavy beard and a Merkur blade that could be true, just remember that- Prep,good lather,good technique and you will be on your way to a great shave.

I would also encourage some level of fidelity with the blades, untill you get your technique down. That way you won't question if it is the blade or you stumbling in technique.

All good advice.

Have stuck to the Merkur blade (even though I have the sampler and want to try something different) so that I have a valid baseline to compare the others too.

But to my real question eveyday or every other day?

Everyday. Besides the fact that I enjoy shaving daily, I also think (IMHO) that your blade will suffer by cutting an extra days worth of growth thus reducing it's life. As far as irritation goes, a daily shave is better for me.

I shave everyday at least one or two passes and some three then on occasion go for the four pass BBS shave. I find the only time I get irritation is if I try for too many BBS shaves in a week or in a row.

I go in spurts shaving every day and then every other day for awhile. Fortunately for me I have the option. I usually use a Slant/Feather combo and I find that if I don't focus on not applying pressure I end up with some irritation. I will then skip a day. I have found lately that if I use a less aggressive razor and blade combination such as a Gillette SS/Derby with good prep & technique I can get a great irritation free shave. I attribute that to an improvement in my technique.

Hutch I now shave everyday and thats something I could never dream of doing when I used the M3.You do have to prep well and have good or decent technique though.I use a hot towel everyday and make sure I have a thick luxurious lather on my face before I pick up the razor.Plus I've got to get through all those creams and soaps!:wink:

Working a rotating shift of days, then to nights, I might skip a day then go back to shaving every day. I shave before I go to work so it might be in the morning or afternoon.

I can get away with shaving every other day because of how close I can get with a DE, but I shave everyday because I enjoy it.

Everyday :w00t: BTW get rid of that Merkur blade today, and try a derby :drool: Then stick with that brand for a couple of weeks until your technique improves. After you complete trake your time trying all the brands, return to the derby blades ans see how they work for you.

Top Bottom