What's new

VadeMecum Leather Notebook Cover Review

Okay…a while back I ordered a VadeMecum Leather Notebook Cover (specifically a hipster) and as per my agreement with the owner he provided me with a prototype model at a reduced price in exchange for me reviewing this product. Full Disclosure - I have no affiliation with VadeMecum Leather or Field Notes Brand Notebooks.

Some background first though, I initially decided on a cover because my Field Notes pocket notebook was getting a little too beat up in my pocket. I am currently deployed to Iraq in support of Operation New Dawn and my notebook was getting soggy and really floppy due to all the sweat, dust, and mud. After searching for a while I happened upon jrduarte’s VadeMecum Leather products on FPN. I figured a hipster would provide protection for my notebook and allow some secure method for carrying a few cards/money/etc as I rarely carry my wallet over here.

Here are my thoughts on this product. I will review several different aspects of the product including cost/shipping, construction, and functionality.

COST/SHIPPING:
For the quality, this product is priced reasonably. It is made of real leather and comes in several color options. I chose the dark brown pebble. The new cover will run you $30, which is more expensive than some other covers on the market, but as I said the cover is worth the money in my opinion. Shipping was fast and relatively hassle free even coming from outside the US.

CONSTRUCTION:
This notebook cover is very well constructed. The leather is soft and the stitching is tight on the border of the cover. The inside of the cover is unfinished leather – not an issue in the least though as it is covered by the notebook. The outside edges are all smooth and in my opinion this notebook is very professionally constructed. Even with the hot and sweaty days we have had in Iraq the leather has remained soft and subtle.

FUNCTIONALITY:
For my job – pen and paper is absolutely necessary at every single minute of the day. My notebook and cover have been in continuous use for the last 2 months or so in my shoulder pocket. I use this cover as my wallet and my filing system. It has two nice slots (one on the outside and one on the inside) for small notes, cash, and my laundry tickets. The inside card holder slots hold my ID and Credit Cards. This cover easily allows for a man (or woman) to ditch the wallet and still carry a notebook. The notebook is well protected in the cover and has some flex but not enough to allow the notebook to be bent or destroyed. It also prevents the pages from getting damp – even on the hottest days. As for the fit of my notebook, this cover fits a 3.5x5.5 notebook perfectly. My current notebook is only 40 pages, but this cover could easily accommodate twice that if necessary. There is very little if any movement in the notebook – secure hold under both sides of the cover.

I’d say my only issue with this cover is when you have cards or anything else besides the notebook in the cover, it is hard to lay it open flat write on both sides of the pages. The cover itself will lay completely flat, but with added bulkiness the pages don’t always lay flat. This really isn’t a ding on the cover – just an observation. Overall, I’d say this is a fantastic notebook cover that is well made and well worth the money. It will certainly be a great addition to anyone who normally carries a pocket notebook.

Contact jrduarte on FPN for further details. Pictures later if I can figure out how to upload them.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thanks for the review. This seems like a brilliant idea. Did you have any issue with dye transferring to your clothing under the hot and humid conditions you are experiencing?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The guy selling these seems a bit slow on the uptake. No response yet a week after I mailed him. Too bad as it does seem like a neat idea.

Top Bottom