Single edge razors?

not sure if srs

Attachments

• $35abgq.jpg
    $35abgq.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
GEM used to produce DE "reversible" blades

Yes, but they were not standard DE blades, and would not work in a DE razor.

They are the same size, and thickness as a standard SE blade, but instead of having a spine they have an additional sharpened edge.

They also only work with the Gem Micromatic, as the other Gem/Everready models use the spine to help clamp the blade in place, and would thus dull the second cutting edge of the dual edge blade.

Here is a picture of the blade in question. Most certainly not a standard DE blade (photo credit to Amishmotorboat):

proxy.php

Last edited:
Yes, but they were not standard DE blades, and would not work in a DE razor.

They are the same size, and thickness as a standard SE blade, but instead of having a spine they have an additional sharpened edge.

They also only work with the Gem Micromatic, as the other Gem/Everready models use the spine to help clamp the blade in place, and would thus dull the second cutting edge of the dual edge blade.

Here is a picture of the blade in question. Most certainly not a standard DE blade (photo credit to Amishmotorboat):

proxy.php
Oh, I forgot about those..

I was wondering about these the other day. I guess nobody's making them anymore, right?

I know several companies make regular SE blades for the GEMs, etc, which may be more the intent of the OP?

A lots of SE razors will only take the spined SE blades.
shavettes will take half a DE. But I'm guessing that's not really what you ment.

I have seen some people take non-spined SE blades and spine them.

Hey what are those numbers on the blade for?

Sorry.... :)

I am guessing they are meant to mark the blade edges. Gillette Advertising of the day (and I am assuming Gem's for this dual edged blade) proclaimed that each blade had four shaving edges and thus should last double the length of time as a blade with just two shaving edges (like an Injector, or standard Gem blade). I assume they expected the user to flip the blade until he got to edge #4.

This was a great misunderstanding of how cutting edges work; a DE blade only ever has two cutting edges: one on each side of the blade. Regardless of which way you flip the blade, the cutting edges are made up of the spot where the two bevels meet forming the sharpened edge.

There was a thread here, on how you could indeed use a DE blade in an SE by making a special holder. I haven't tried it, and it seems like more trouble than it's worth when there are perfectly good SE blades out there.

The general answer to the original question would be no.

Last edited:
FYI I just removed from this post the link to another very active SE thread here on B&B because I realize now that posting that link was clearly a forum faux pas. Suffice to say that the amount of activity re SEs is pretty impressive on this forum and my enthusiasm in wanting everyone sharing info (and not having to repeat themselves) and celebrating SEs caused me to ignore good judgment and civilized thread decorum-- fortunately, I only did this in one other thread and circled back here to edit similar post after getting some negative feedback there--- Happy Shaving and my apologies for causing anyone concern!

Last edited:
Top Bottom