What's new

Too cheap to sharpen?

My wife got me an inexpensive (cheap) straight razor for my birthday. It's a Chinese made "Gold Dollar" she found on Amazon. I can't seem to get a good edge on it. Are some blades just too crappy to sharpen? What's a good starter straight razor that won't cost $100?

Thanks

Mike in AZ

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Nay, they are very good shavers....you just need to grind down the shoulders a bit as the craftmanship is a crap shoot.

That being said, there are lemons, so YMMV. Try post a pic so we can see how it is.

Legion

Staff member
Do a search. There are many debates regarding GD.

I think the general consensus (around here) is that the steel is OK, but the quality control is poor, leading to uneven grinds, stabilisers that are too big, etc, etc.

They can be made to work (I've done it myself, and spent a month travelling with nothing but my GD) but you have to know what you are doing. I would not wish one on a newbie.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Do a search. There are many debates regarding GD.

I think the general consensus (around here) is that the steel is OK, but the quality control is poor, leading to uneven grinds, stabilisers that are too big, etc, etc.

They can be made to work (I've done it myself, and spent a month travelling with nothing but my GD) but Kyou have to know what you are doing. I would not wish one on a newbie.

I guess depending on your point of view, they are crappy :lol:

I like em tho.

I guess depending on your point of view, they are crappy :lol:

I like em tho.

Keep an eye on the BST. There are shave ready razors available on there at all prices many under 50 bucks and less. Keep an eye out. Also, if you need a kit there is a strop/razor/balsa hone kit at whippeddog for under 50. Many here started with this kit.

You can make a gold dollar work as they say above but won't be easy.

I love my GD, shaves beautiful. The difference between other Chinese razors and GD's is the GD company actually makes them with shaving in mind and the rest are just novelties. But like others have said the quality control is poor, but out of the 5 I have bought only one was a lemon that was ground uneven. They can be great shavers with minimal work (grinding the shoulder down/honing). And if you are new to honing that may be the reason you can't put a good edge on it. What whetstones grits do you have? Do you have a strop?

Whippeddog "sight unseen" or BST are going to be your best bets for a shave-ready blade.
Regular retail, you're looking at a minimum of $80 for a low-end Dovo Classic.
Anything under $80 I would not attempt to shave with.

Top Bottom