What's new

nicks in my blade

Hey all. I'm new to this and fairly new to shaving with a straight razor. I recently purchased my first straight razor and had it professionally honed. After using it a few times, and using the strop there appears to be a nick in blade. So much so that it is scratching my strop. How do I get rid of that nick? Stropping doesn't seem to do the trick. Do I have to send it in to be honed again? What causes these nicks? I didn't drop it or anything...I am very careful with it. Any thoughts?

Nicks can be caused by touching the blade (even the lightest of touches) to a faucet handle, the faucet spout, your watch band, a ring you are wearing, your eye glasses, the edge of the sink, the edge of a lather bowl, a soap container, even closing it up on your scales accidentally can cause a nick in the blade. The metal is very hard, yet extremely thin and can be damaged very easily.

Do you have any suggestions on where to send it to have it done that would have a fairly quick turn around?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Could you post a pic of the nick? If it isn't too bad there is a possibility the offer for free honing in the general forum might apply. If its really bad it will need a complete bevel reset and hone...

Top Bottom