What's new

Best Manly Smelling Cologne!

We have a warehouse sale twice yearly in Toronto that has almost all the colognes at ridiculously cheap prices compared to retail.

This is the 4th year that I'm going, and this year I actually want to go in knowing what to check out!

First two years picked up Acqua di Gio, last year picked up a few with the main one being Jean Paul Gaultier for men. I'm looking for manly smells this year, something really nice for the winter.

And then if possible, something light and fresh to wear during the summer :p

It's hard to say without knowing what they have or what you are interested in wearing, but on the presumption that the selection will be more mainstream type fragrances, a few you might consider if they are available:

Caron - Pour un Homme
Dior - Dior Homme
Guerlain - Habit Rouge
Guerlain - L'Instant
Guerlain - Vetiver
Hermes - Terre D'Hermes

Azzaro PH
Paco Rabanne PH
Chanel pour Monsieur
Guerlain Heritage (is that one still in production?)
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

few favorites of mine

Aramis
Azzaro Chrome
Davidoff Cool Water
...all kind of traditional '70s-'80s classics

Or for a more contemporary scent
Bvlgari Man, very clean and fresh

That is within driving distance. Can you provide details (location, date)?

No idea on date. Look up Lisa Warehouse Sale.

They have pretty much everything. Problem is by the time I smell a few colognes they all smell the same to me (even after the coffee beans).

Thanks for suggestions so far.

"Manly" is in the nose of the beholder. I find that most 80's powerhouses and classics from even earlier eras are more "manly" than today's heartless, lifeless aquatics (assuming that niche will not be available and these will mostly be designer offerings):

Guerlain Vetiver
Guerlain Habit Rouge
Knize 10
Polo Green
Grey Flannel
Lagerfeld
Aramis
Z-14
Georgio
Azzaro PH
Drakkar Noir
Paco Rabanne PH
Safari
VC&A PH
Versace PH
Dior Eau Savage
Davidoff Zino
Burberry London
Michael Kors for Men
Gucci PH

Light and fresh for summer (not my forte):

Mugler Cologne
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
Any other modern designer scent made since about 1995 or so (save a few)....

Here's what I recommend, some with typical online prices for comparison:

M7 by YSL - 1.7 - $45
Givenchy Play Intense - 1.7 - $50
Obsession Night for Men - 2.5 - $35
Canali Men - 3.4 - $45
L'Homme by YSL - 2.0 - $55
Aventus by Creed - $250
Millésime Impérial by Creed - 2.5 - $120
Men by Marc Jacobs - 2.5 - $45
Terre D'Hermes by Hermes - 1.7 - $57
A*Men/Angel Men by Thierry Mugler
Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior
Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel
Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford - 1.7 - $75
Heritage by Guerlain - 3.4 - $50
London for Men by Burberry - 1.7 - $38
Boss Bottled (No. 6) by Hugo Boss
Gucci by Gucci
Aqua by Bulgari

Have fun!

I think Cool Water is a good choice if you want something that it's too "traditional". I find many frags described as "manly" as being not contemporary and for lack of a better term a "old man scent" (sorry guys).

Good lists so far.

I would add:

Aramis Havana
Caron Yatagan
Azzaro Acteur
Chanel Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Concentree
YSL Kouros and Body Kouros
Zirh Corduroy
Monsieur de Givenchy
Hermes Eau d'Hermes

I think Cool Water is a good choice if you want something that it's too "traditional". I find many frags described as "manly" as being not contemporary and for lack of a better term a "old man scent" (sorry guys).

I think that's because the fragrances in the last few years have no smell. I find people complain that a scent is "old man" when it has strong distinct odors. Even if the fragrance was released in 2011 if it has enough scent to make it interesting then "someone" might get offended. if you're not blending it with everyone else then you're old fashioned. weird that no one thinks scents that are out of today's norm could be "modern" maybe ahead of the curve instead of from an old era...

oh and i'd say:

givenchy gentleman
gucci pour homme
quorum
encre noire
drakkar noir
grey flannel
polo

i think the rest of what i'd say have already been listed

Last edited:
"Manly" is in the nose of the beholder. I find that most 80's powerhouses and classics from even earlier eras are more "manly" than today's heartless, lifeless aquatics (assuming that niche will not be available and these will mostly be designer offerings):

Guerlain Vetiver
Guerlain Habit Rouge
Knize 10
Polo Green
Grey Flannel
Lagerfeld
Aramis
Z-14
Georgio
Azzaro PH
Drakkar Noir
Paco Rabanne PH
Safari
VC&A PH
Versace PH
Dior Eau Savage
Davidoff Zino
Burberry London
Michael Kors for Men
Gucci PH

Light and fresh for summer (not my forte):

Mugler Cologne
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
Any other modern designer scent made since about 1995 or so (save a few)....

This list says it for me already. I would only add Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, 1-12, Red for Men, Kouros, Quorum, and Bowling Green as must-trys, if not must-haves.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/

You can get Jovan Musk at any drug/department store for not much money and I've been using it since the early 80's and it's definately manly. I also vote for Grey Flannel.

While I have many other personal favorites, one that will forever make me think of a manly scent is English Leather Black. Very leathery, strong, and some type of "spicy" smell that just made me think of a stereotypical "man" smell. Of course, it's cheap and you can tell, but despite that I still think it has a "manly" scent to it.

Awesome list, gents. I am always looking for this type of scent, so I'm bookmarking this list. I love the Burberry London I've been using but find it doesn't last long on me. I LOVE Polo but am afraid it might be too cliche still (though I can't remember the last time I smelled it). I was thinking of picking up one of the Polo knockoffs at a discount store to just touch on my wrists for a week and see what I think. (Polo seems to be one of the scents where the knock offs get pretty close, maybe because it's been around so much AND it's been dissected so often in discussion?) I hate spending full price on a bottle of 1970s cologne if I'm not sure I'll like it. Also, Polo products in general tend to be TOO strong on me and last. . .oh. . .a week or so. LOL I have a bottle of Polo Blue I'm trying to dump. Maybe I can trade someone for some Green.

I'd love to find Knize, too. Is that a department store brand? I thought it was one of those niche houses.

Kicking myself for throwing out my Safari a few years ago, but the wife confirmed that I did so because it was old and had gone bad. (My memory isn't that sharp!)

Awesome list, gents. I am always looking for this type of scent, so I'm bookmarking this list. I love the Burberry London I've been using but find it doesn't last long on me. I LOVE Polo but am afraid it might be too cliche still (though I can't remember the last time I smelled it). I was thinking of picking up one of the Polo knockoffs at a discount store to just touch on my wrists for a week and see what I think. (Polo seems to be one of the scents where the knock offs get pretty close, maybe because it's been around so much AND it's been dissected so often in discussion?) I hate spending full price on a bottle of 1970s cologne if I'm not sure I'll like it. Also, Polo products in general tend to be TOO strong on me and last. . .oh. . .a week or so. LOL I have a bottle of Polo Blue I'm trying to dump. Maybe I can trade someone for some Green.

I'd love to find Knize, too. Is that a department store brand? I thought it was one of those niche houses.

Kicking myself for throwing out my Safari a few years ago, but the wife confirmed that I did so because it was old and had gone bad. (My memory isn't that sharp!)

Knize is a brand started by a German tailor of sorts as far as I gather and has been around for nearly 100 years. The standard Knize 10 Toilet Water is a floral birch tar bomb that is described as petrol or leather. It does have some powdery-ness to it which gives it a vintage feel that some describe as "dated". It is the epitome of "manly" IMO and a luxury of another time. It has taken a while for me to understand this scent and I struggled with it for awhile. Many instantly recognize it as a timeless masterpiece, but it is definitely not something that appeals to the masses.

An absolute must try as the masculine counterpart to Chanel's Cuir de Russie both of which were revolutionary fragrances that have stood the test of time. It is polarizing. I know just as many that hate it as love it.

It is far from a "designer" scent, so niche would be my best guess for proper classification. Distribution is very limited. I felt it absolutely had to be included in a discussion of "manly" scents regardless of classication because leaving it out would do the genre a terrible injustice.

Many will disagree with me, but I think Creed Tabarome Millesime is a great masculine. It probably won't be available at the OP's warehouse sale, though.

It's hard to say without knowing what they have or what you are interested in wearing, but on the presumption that the selection will be more mainstream type fragrances, a few you might consider if they are available:

Caron - Pour un Homme
Dior - Dior Homme
Guerlain - Habit Rouge
Guerlain - L'Instant
Guerlain - Vetiver
Hermes - Terre D'Hermes

Dior Homme smells manly?
I think it is extremely feminine. It reminds of me lip stick/ make up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom