What's new

Herder blanks..ok

HERDER BLANKS
For those who bought blanks; they are good!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I was able to buy a few HERDER blanks a year or so ago. I have not posted the results before this due to my inexpert honing, so I was not sure!
The blanks were rescued after WWII from the bombed out Herder’s Works. I had the blanks hardened and tempered by Mike Blue of MN. The grinding was done on a little WEN wet wheel grinder; no longer produced. Most of the work was done by hand with wet/dry abrasive papers.
I have finally learned enough to hone the blade properly with out edge crumbling. I spent many hours with it on the hones before I could. It is HARD! I scaled the blade with Cranberry Acrylic, domed ss washers and German silver pins. The first good shave was today and she is a keeper.

~Richard
This is cross posted.

i bought 4, counting the one i destroyed trying to grind it myself. do u know anyone u reccomend who could turn these blanks into razors 4 me. thanx in advance 4 yuor help. tom

R

Rsq

Funny you mention these, I just did my first regrind, and it was of an f herder circa 1810-1850

I would suggest contacting the venders here on the forum.The money spent will be worth it. And the quality assurance that would give makes a few really high quality razors, second to none!

I hope that this thread may bring a lot of those blanks out of the drawers in which they have been residing!!

The blank was "as stamped" no temper. I have been told that some of the blanks were tempered, some had Herder's logo stamping, this one didn't.
(((( To check for temper, run a file across the edge. If it slides, you should be home free. Be sure you are on steel not fire-scale!!)))

The hardening and tempering would be similar to O-1 tools steel but, I am told, should be a bit higher, ~25ºF, temperature temper. The steel has to have an extremely high Chromium content to give that high a polish. I will put this blade against any that I have for cutting quality.
As to the difficulty of grinding, it only took time! The hard part was carefully grinding the tip to the facets. Honing took a great deal of time! Not a blade problem, but my poor skills.

Good Luck and please post when you have gotten them done.
~Richard

of the 4 i have 2 are marked herder with the ace of spades and crossed keys and 2 are not marked at all. i removed the scale off all 4. they are all different sizes in width and length. i messed 1 of them up really bad trying to grind it. they are all hard i believe. they should make some very good razors with some know how.

Thank you for bringing up this link. As it looks I have one of the blades too. Just waiting to have more skills and knowledge to finish it.

i bought these from smokey mt. knife works about 2 or 3 years ago. they since have sold out, because i went back later and tried to get some more. tom

R

Rsq

I would suggest contacting the venders here on the forum.The money spent will be worth it. And the quality assurance that would give makes a few really high quality razors, second to none!

I hope that this thread may bring a lot of those blanks out of the drawers in which they have been residing!!

The blank was "as stamped" no temper. I have been told that some of the blanks were tempered, some had Herder's logo stamping, this one didn't.
(((( To check for temper, run a file across the edge. If it slides, you should be home free. Be sure you are on steel not fire-scale!!)))

The hardening and tempering would be similar to O-1 tools steel but, I am told, should be a bit higher, ~25ºF, temperature temper. The steel has to have an extremely high Chromium content to give that high a polish. I will put this blade against any that I have for cutting quality.
As to the difficulty of grinding, it only took time! The hard part was carefully grinding the tip to the facets. Honing took a great deal of time! Not a blade problem, but my poor skills.

Good Luck and please post when you have gotten them done.
~Richard

I found my herder to be THE most difficult razor to hone that I have come across. That said, I used it this morning, and it easily tops my list, tying my heljestrand mk33 for the #1 spot

Top Bottom