What's new

What is your underarm deodorant of choice?

I must be one of the lucky few. I've never had an issue with perspiration or odor so consequently I have never used any deodorant or antiperspirant.... ever.... nada...

In wintertime, I use one of the crystal deodorants. In summer, however, I use Mitchum Unscented gel. I'm not a big fan of sporting the sweaty armpits look around the ladies.

Yeah, winter time the crystal is probably fine. What I want to know is if there are any natural alternatives to anti-perspirant? I've found in a Texas summer, the crystal just doesn't cut it. I HATE having sweaty pits!

I use Naturally Fresh deodorant crystal. I find anything else irritates my skin after one or two uses and I have tried many different deodorants both the typical and those from the likes of Tom's of Maine and Jason.

This brand of deodorant crystal contains potassium alum and aloe vera. I find it usually works for 24 hours and I get absolutely no irritation. The only downside is when it is brand new. I find the finish on the crystal to be rough and that is irritating until it gets smoothed over from dipping in water and use. I use it lightly for the first few days and also rub it on my feet of legs to help smooth it out. It costs about $6.00 from the Vitamin Shoppe and lasts for a year. I even use it as my alum block for shaving, since the ingredients are the same.

I hope you give it a try and like it.

$NaturallyFresh1.jpg

Robert

I just started to use the Osma crystal based on a recommendation from bullgoose, and I love it. Doesn't kkeep as dry as my mitchum, but hoPing it won't stain as bad either.

I've been meaning to post to this thread...sometime ago I wanted to try using a 50/50 mixture of corn starch and baking soda as I'd read that was an effective ant-ipersperant/deodorant. At the time I was using an alum block (for under arms) which worked quite well, in the winter and spring, but heading into the summer, the alum block wasn't holding up. Actually I posted in one of the forums here for a natural powder recipe and a member turned me on to the corn starch/ baking soda formula, and surprisingly he said he applied this powder using a kabuki brush. google kabuki brush for a laugh if you're not familiar with the term. I decided to use my badger brush for the application as I wasn't using it any longer, finding Nirvana using Omega 48 and 49 boar hair shave brushes. There is a first step before applying the powder formula to your under arms and that is to thoroughly cleanse your arm pits first using alcohol. I was told it was best to mist the alcohol onto your skin using a small bottle sprayer, after exiting the shower. the alcohol kills bacteria and the powder combo keeps the bacteria at bay. it really works. I applied the alcohol using sterile cotton gauze pads

During this thread, another member (greybeard, greyfox?) suggested for me to try using Mitchum. I did, later, picking up the roll on variety found at my local super market, and I have to say it is a damn fine commercial antiperspirant. Summertime anywhere in the southeast is brutal, and I work outdoors mostly in the summertime, and Fla. is one of the hottest most humid environments there is in the continental U.S., so if it works here for me, that's saying a lot. Of course, since then I've had to try some others, like Tabac deodorant stick, Speick deodorant stick. I like and use Tabac shave soap, Tabac A/S and Tabac EdC...not necessarily all together but, I really don't care all that much for the Tabac deodorant stick as for me it leaves a noticeable scent that says "I'm wearing under arm deodorant" Maybe it's just me but that's the way it smells to me. I've worn the Speick deodorant stick for less than a week so the jury is still out. That said, I'm liking the Speick stick deodorant so far, and yes, I also use Speick shave stick (grated) and Speick A/S, and sometimes wash up using Speick bar soap, all A+ for me. I recently picked up Speick EdC...not a fan. It has a sweet citrus head note not found in the other Speick products. I'll be putting it up on BST in the not too distant future. But, you can PM if you want to try it/take it off my hands. Apologies in advance for discussing EdC's and A/S's in this deodorant thread yet I felt I wasn't wandering OT too much since these other fragrances were compared along with the various same maker deodorants

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I’ve been using Thai crystal deodorant for about a week now (equivalent to Alum block) and I must say, I’m kind of liking this!! No odor or stain under the arm pits, easy to apply after a shower, no chemical goop on the skin and it cost about 7 dollars for a full year supply (that’s going with the more expensive brand name stuff, 1.99 for the cheaper stuff). I think i’ll continue using this over the winter. Not sure what will happen when summer comes around but Mitchum sounds like the serious contender.

Thanks for all the input guys, I love this forum!!

I think i’ll continue using [Thai Crystal alum deodorant] over the winter. Not sure what will happen when summer comes around but Mitchum sounds like the serious contender.

I find my alum continues to work well in summer, but we've had a mild one in Sydney so far.

I find my alum continues to work well in summer, but we've had a mild one in Sydney so far.

Well since Syndey's coldest day can pretty much compare to Toronto's hottest day this information sounds promising. If I can get away with not having to apply any chemicals down under ever again, that would be my best option.

I usually mist my arm pits with WH+alc then rub whatever soap I normally use in till suds on both sides and leave it to dry scent usually goes away depending on what soap you use and that will hold up all day. I just started this recently though so I cant say for FL summer but its working for me down here in the winter.

Top Bottom