What's new

Safe to drink, safe to use

I'm new here, so this may have been covered before. If so, I apologize. I used to use after-shave lotion. My late wife especially liked Old Spice. One day she gave me a new bottle of it. When I used it, my skin broke out in a rash. Either my body was changing as I got older or middle management changed the ingredients so that the produce was now poisonous. I found that other after-shave lotions reacted the same. Then I reasoned that if it is safe to drink, then it is safe to use on the face. Whether you do or do not drink, I find it is best to use some inexpensive beverage such as rum, vodka, or gin for an after-shave lotion. When I do use an after-shave lotion, I use spiced rum. I repeat "if it is safe to drink, it is safe to use on the face ".

I repeat "if it is safe to drink, it is safe to use on the face ".

Um...no, just no. :scared::scared:

Most alcohol that is safe to drink, would burn like hell if placed on the face in large quantities. They are also lacking anything in the way of skin goodies (such as glycerin) so there would be little benefit beyond providing some scent, and sanitizing the little cuts that can occur from shaving.

No thanks, I will gladly use my Aqua Velva instead!!

Hmmm, yoo-hoo aftershave? I like this idea!

proxy.php

Um...no, just no.

Most alcohol that is safe to drink, would burn like hell if placed on the face in large quantities. They are also lacking anything in the way of skin goodies (such as glycerin) so there would be little benefit beyond providing some scent, and sanitizing the little cuts that can occur from shaving.

No thanks, I will gladly use my Aqua Velva instead!!

No. The list of ingredients for Aqua Velva has alcohol first, then water, then very minor dissolvable substances.
Therefore, Aqua Velva is probably >50% alcohol, whereas an 80 proof alcohol product for consumption is 40%.

Using rum with some added oil (such as jojoba) would make a fine aftershave. Just agitate it first to mix the
oil and water. Some vitamin E oil can be added also to possibly help with inflammation. The 40% alcohol is
sufficient to kill bacteria (Purell is 40% ethanol).

Actually he is right in more ways than one.

Many of the DIY Aftershave recipes use Drinking Spirits as there base. Aqua Velva originally used a Consumable Alcohol and so bittering agents were added to prevent consumption.

All that said, if you use straight Capt Morgan as an aftershave, expected to A) Get invited to an AA meeting real quick, B) Get a DUI during your morning commute, or C) Get called into the office at work for wearing the night before in, so to speak!

Jay

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No. The list of ingredients for Aqua Velva has alcohol first, then water, then very minor dissolvable substances.
Therefore, Aqua Velva is probably >50% alcohol, whereas an 80 proof alcohol product for consumption is 40%.

Using rum with some added oil (such as jojoba) would make a fine aftershave. Just agitate it first to mix the
oil and water. Some vitamin E oil can be added also to possibly help with inflammation. The 40% alcohol is
sufficient to kill bacteria (Purell is 40% ethanol).

But are they using ethyl or methyl alcohol? Consumption of methyl can cause blindness, but it is not harmful for external use.

Methanol can be harmful for external use too. It absorbs through the skin, and then causes problems.

Maybe you are thinking of isopropyl alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol?

Actually he is right in more ways than one.

Many of the DIY Aftershave recipes use Drinking Spirits as there base.

I full agree. My original statement was recommending against the use of straight alcohol with no modifications. But if it works for the original poster, then so I am happy for him.

Aftershave in it's most basic form is four ingredients: alcohol (to sanitize minor cuts), glycerin (to moisturize, and counteract the drying effect of the alcohol), water, and fragrance (which I guess could be optional).

LOL...I understand the point of this post...but after this past weekend I can tell you rum and vodka aren't as safe to drink as you think :001_tongu

Actually, it is 65% alcohol:

Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer, Original

Active Ingredients: Ethyl Alcohol (65%)
Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Isopropyl Myristate, Propylene Glycol, Vitamin E, Amino Methyl Propanol, Carbomer, Fragrance

What is interesting is that the list of ingredients looks like an aftershave.

Thanks,
Mike

...(Purell is 40% ethanol).

Again, the original poster was not talking about straight alcohol. Rum is typically 80 proof, or 40%.

I think you are misquoting him. He was calling cabinet liquor "straight alcohol" in that it does not have anything in it to soothe or moisturize. It is being used as a pure astringent, and that's it.

I full agree. My original statement was recommending against the use of straight alcohol with no modifications. But if it works for the original poster, then so I am happy for him.

Aftershave in it's most basic form is four ingredients: alcohol (to sanitize minor cuts), glycerin (to moisturize, and counteract the drying effect of the alcohol), water, and fragrance (which I guess could be optional).

Agree 100%!

Much like Modern Williams, if you use it straight, its only a matter of time before the law becomes involved!!!:001_tt2:

Jay

I think you are misquoting him. He was calling cabinet liquor "straight alcohol" in that it does not have anything in it to soothe or moisturize. It is being used as a pure astringent, and that's it.

This was the actual quote, but I see what you (and he) are saying. Understood, and he is right.

Top Bottom