What's new

Using that shave stick container (Vintage Shave Stick Ads)

I'll try to remember to post up a pic of my Winnipeg Shave Stick tonight.

Its embossed like the one in the pic above and in great shape.

Must have been a local companies marketing item back in the day.

I like it as Winnipeg is my town.

I know this has turned into more of an advertisement for shave stick thread, but figured vintage shave stick tins are always welcome. Here is my lovely Witch Hazel Saving Stick -The Royal Crown Ltd Winnipeg.

It holds an Arko stick perfectly for size reference and the top is removable and has pressure fit mechanism to keep it secure.

How could I pass it up for $15 when I found it in Winnipeg.

Shined up nice and purdy too. Not bad for a $15 local score.
$uploadfromtaptalk1391811339537.jpg $uploadfromtaptalk1391811353493.jpg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pushing this one back up and I did not post any ads in a while...
$1920 Movie star.jpg

Luc

Staff member
Another one worth mentioning from 1940. Nice containers! However, I'm not sure that the Timber company made a stick... I believe this is an aftershave bottle in the picture.

Attachments

• $1940 Timber.jpg
    $1940 Timber.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 135
I am thinking about buying the shaving stick container that WCS sells. I have a question. I believe it has a screw in the center of the tube. Do you remove the screw of just force the soap down on to it?

I recently bought a Uhu glue stick that I saw going cheap in a supermarket. Grated my 49 pence Palmolive Stick down and crammed it into the empty glue stick until full. Result a screw up shave stick with a snap on lid. Threw the glue away - bit of a waste I know but works a treat.

Luc

Staff member
I am thinking about buying the shaving stick container that WCS sells. I have a question. I believe it has a screw in the center of the tube. Do you remove the screw of just force the soap down on to it?

I would not force it down. Grating it is the way to go IMO

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You can't remove the screw, it's what makes the "screw up" mechanism work.

Cheers, Steve

Speaking of twist-up stick holders, I always thought that was a relatively modern design. It turns out to date back to ca. 1915, as advertised by Palmolive in Colliers and LIFE magazine. These ads predate the mergers with Peet and Colgate, and the company was still called "B.J. Johnson". A Mr Remington patented this twist-up design for the company, as US1194545. Both ads say it was made of aluminum, with an oval cross-section, and probably sold for 25 cents. The patent indicates that it could be reloaded, but the adverts do not mention that point. Possibly that turned out to be impractical, or maybe it was a marketing decision.

My guess is that it was more expensive to make than the competing Colgate Handy Grip and Williams Holder Top, and was probably discontinued ca. 1917. So examples may be fairly rare.

Anyone ever seen an example of this design in person? Can it be reloaded with modern soap?

Speaking of twist-up stick holders, I always thought that was a relatively modern design. It turns out to date back to ca. 1915, as advertised by Palmolive in Colliers and LIFE magazine. These ads predate the mergers with Peet and Colgate, and the company was still called "B.J. Johnson". A Mr Remington patented this twist-up design for the company, as US1194545. Both ads say it was made of aluminum, with an oval cross-section, and probably sold for 25 cents. The patent indicates that it could be reloaded, but the adverts do not mention that point. Possibly that turned out to be impractical, or maybe it was a marketing decision.

My guess is that it was more expensive to make than the competing Colgate Handy Grip and Williams Holder Top, and was probably discontinued ca. 1917. So examples may be fairly rare.

Anyone ever seen an example of this design in person? Can it be reloaded with modern soap?

Great find! I haven't seen an add featuring that container, and certainly not the container itself. I can't believe it's been so long since we've had new posts in this thread.

I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. I have enjoyed reading through all of the ads as well as the vintage shave stick brands and containers. I have recently posted this recent find in the soap forum and did not find anyone that knew anything about it. It is a generic holder with a soap stick in it. Does anyone have any info. Thanks
proxy.php
proxy.php

Luc

Staff member
Yeah, I need to get crackin' on getting more ads!

This item from Boys Life 1921 may help explain why Colgate Handy Grip containers are difficult to find in good condition. Quite a few of them may have been filled with wax and matches, then taken camping.

Attachments

• $bl1.png
    $bl1.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 59
  • $bl2.png
    $bl2.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom