What's new

Micarta

I was thinking of making my own "Micarta" scales. I would like to try several material like construction paper and cloth but have a question.

How smoothly do they sand, do you get "fibers" from the cloth or paper fly loose?

I was wondering the same thing...I am planning on using some wide satin polyester ribbon. I figured I'd make sure top and bottom are coated with the epoxy to give them a head start, sand them down as planned, then give them a once-over with a thin coat of epoxy after...that or a couple rounds of CA.

Would that work?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Tumtatty made some from camo material...and he ended up varnishing it to deal with fuzziness. I would guess that if you can saturate the material enough and add enough pressure, there should be less fuzzies.

I have a bunch of custom made micarta and it is not fuzzy at all after sanding.
If the micarta is made properly there will be no problems with it.

I made some scales this way using thin canvas and bondo epoxy resin. It came out well. It is not fuzzy, but it is soft to the touch. It will soak up water in the outside layer, but you shouldn't get it wet anyway. By the way, it is tough stuff to work with without power tools to rough shape it.

Top Bottom