What's new

Thater, best all around brush?

So I have a serious & basically uncontrolled brush AD. I own several of all the big names (except Pilsson) and picked up a M&F yesterday off BST. Unlike many of you, I can't bring myself to put the lonely orphans up on BST anymore than I could list my children.

Lately, the brush I seem to grab most often is the Thater I got from BullGoose a few weeks ago. Most of my brushes I've divided into "soap" or "cream" and then sub-divided into "bowl" or "face". I can't categorize the Thater, it's superb for all uses. Now this may not be true of all Thaters, but it is the case with this 28mm (really 30) knot. It has just the perfect balance of backbone & softness to always impress. I shower shaved yesterday with Cade & a Mergress with a fresh Personna Med Prep. What an outstanding shave!

$Image 7.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking brush. The Thater, Shavemac and Savile Row are eerily similar.

Yes! However, my last Shavemac is so damn big that I can't really face lather with it and have to find a local swimming pool to use for a bowl lather. But once it's all loaded up I have enough lather for the Rockettes' legs. The Thater looks like mini-me next to it.

$Image 2.jpg

Just got a two band Thater this week. It's beautful, soft-tipped but with good backbone, and lathers like a house on fire. In most respects it is THE perfect all-rounder, and I say this having used Semogues, Vulfixes, Kents, Simpsons, Rooneys, Rooney Heritages, Savile Rows, Omegas, Vie-Longs.... Yet somehow I don't like it. Maybe just too attached to my Savile Row. Anyway, it'll go up for sale tomorrow.

Last edited:
The answer is "Yes". I have used pretty much every main manufacturer by now and I view Thaters as the best around.
So I have a serious & basically uncontrolled brush AD. I own several of all the big names (except Pilsson) and picked up a M&F yesterday off BST. Unlike many of you, I can't bring myself to put the lonely orphans up on BST anymore than I could list my children.

Lately, the brush I seem to grab most often is the Thater I got from BullGoose a few weeks ago. Most of my brushes I've divided into "soap" or "cream" and then sub-divided into "bowl" or "face". I can't categorize the Thater, it's superb for all uses. Now this may not be true of all Thaters, but it is the case with this 28mm (really 30) knot. It has just the perfect balance of backbone & softness to always impress. I shower shaved yesterday with Cade & a Mergress with a fresh Personna Med Prep. What an outstanding shave!

View attachment 200032

My 41925 that I bought on BST just arrived today, and I just used it. OK, I know it's only one shave, but I really, really liked it. It's face feel was like the best of all the other brushes I've had all rolled into one. I bowl lathered a cream today, but spent quite a bit of time working it on my face - because I loved the feel of the brush so much. I'll try a soft soap next time and later a hard soap. If it continues to do well as the soaps get harder then I'll be ready to call this one heck of a great brush.

Dammit! I wish I would stop reading these sorts of threads. I've got two big silvertip brushes on the way that I absolutely don't need, and now I'm strongly considering buying another one.

I'm not even a massive fan of the plexi-glass handle, but from what I'm reading it may not be enough to dissuade me from buying one of these.

Dammit! I wish I would stop reading these sorts of threads. I've got two big silvertip brushes on the way that I absolutely don't need, and now I'm strongly considering buying another one.

I'm not even a massive fan of the plexi-glass handle, but from what I'm reading it may not be enough to dissuade me from buying one of these.

If you're not sure about the plexi handle you can get the same exact brush with the white or black handle. Look for model 4125.

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/hthst14.html

Last edited:

Uh...there's a Thater on BST right now...you know, just in case...

Another CONUS though :) Besides, Bullgoose's international shipping rates are so good, I can't afford NOT to buy it from him :D

Thank you all for enabling me as much as you have.

Uh...there's a Thater on BST right now...you know, just in case...

Another CONUS though :) Besides, Bullgoose's international shipping rates are so good, I can't afford NOT to buy it from him :D

Thank you all for enabling me as much as you have.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
proxy.php

marty

Top Bottom