What's new

Barbour Beaufort or Filson Weekender?

Are those capes on Driza-bone items removable? I like the look of their Bushman, but that cape is a complete deal-breaker for me.

Legion

Staff member
I don't think so. At least the one on my long riding coat isn't. They do really improve the waterproofness though, having no seams across the shoulders.

I have several Barbour's. I'm mostly sporting a brown Bedale around town this fall and a Barbour shop custom smock is my standard on the marsh. Their service is great. Can't go wrong either way.

Tom

Are those capes on Driza-bone items removable? I like the look of their Bushman, but that cape is a complete deal-breaker for me.

Do what I did and just cut it off. I took a lot of care in snipping it riiiiight down and it looks factory perfect to all but the most ludicrously intense scrutiny (I'm talking almost magnifying glass territory).

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I own a few Barbour coats and love them. My oldest has held up for 20 years, others are used infrequently when tha ged vintage look may not be appropriate.

Do be aware of the Barbour knockoffs often found on ebay. Be sure it comes from an authorized stockist. I bought one off of ebay a few years ago and it fit way too small. A few of the details just did not add up. I suspected it to be a fake and filed a Paypal claim. They required an 'expert" option so I sent it to the USA Barbour distributor. They found 15 things wrong with the copy and forwarded the info to Paypal who settled the claim immediately, Barbour USA then went after the bootleg seller AND sent me a brand new Barbour for free for helping them out.

Tony

I own a few Barbour coats and love them. My oldest has held up for 20 years, others are used infrequently when tha ged vintage look may not be appropriate.

Do be aware of the Barbour knockoffs often found on ebay. Be sure it comes from an authorized stockist. I bought one off of ebay a few years ago and it fit way too small. A few of the details just did not add up. I suspected it to be a fake and filed a Paypal claim. They required an 'expert" option so I sent it to the USA Barbour distributor. They found 15 things wrong with the copy and forwarded the info to Paypal who settled the claim immediately, Barbour USA then went after the bootleg seller AND sent me a brand new Barbour for free for helping them out.

Tony

What an exceptional response on the part of both Barbour and Ebay. It's nice to see that both companies had your best interest in mind.

I just received it in the mail today. Woof it smells, but it appears to be a very well made coat. Fit is perfect and so far, my daughters like it. SWMBO will be home later and has the rite of final judgement/veto.

It's raining today, so I plan on taking it out for a test drive.

Driza-bone. ;)

Legion- All I can say is THANK YOU! Driza-Bone didn't even enter my mind until you posted this. After a bit of research and an EBAY leap of faith purchase, I couldn't be happier with my DrizaBone Ranger. It's exactly what I was looking for.

The construction is top-notch, it keeps me well protected from the elements, and so far, I've received compliments from half a dozen people on it's looks. Most importantly, SWMBO loves the way it looks on me.

I may still own a Filson or Barbour one of these days, but for now, the Driza Bone is working out quite nicely.

Legion

Staff member
Legion- All I can say is THANK YOU! Driza-Bone didn't even enter my mind until you posted this. After a bit of research and an EBAY leap of faith purchase, I couldn't be happier with my DrizaBone Ranger. It's exactly what I was looking for.

The construction is top-notch, it keeps me well protected from the elements, and so far, I've received compliments from half a dozen people on it's looks. Most importantly, SWMBO loves the way it looks on me.

I may still own a Filson or Barbour one of these days, but for now, the Driza Bone is working out quite nicely.

:thumbup1: No worries. Driza-bone is one of the few "Aussie bush products" that Aussies really wear in the bush. They make good stuff. It will last forever, as well. Glad you like it.

My brother has a Drizabone hat he bought during a port call in Australia (US Navy).... still wears it to this day.

It held up well in a heavy shower hunting in Texas last year, and it's over 10 years old.

FWIW, the Drizabone is now soaking in a bathtub with a little soap in preparation for it's rewaxing. Although it was a very mild winter here in Wisconsin, it was wet and cold enough to give the coat a good test of it's worth.

It's a winner.

A Barbour is still in my future, but I'm going to enjoy this coat until it's been worn to threads.

Legion

Staff member
Funny, I had my Driza-bone Brumby Jacket on yesterday as I walked home from the gym in the rain. I've had mine for ages, and I bought it second hand before that, so it probably needs re-proofing. But it still kept me warm and dry.

My riding coat only gets used for camping trips now (you feel a bit silly wearing one of those in the city) But gee I have been glad of it my last couple of (soaking) trips into the bush.

FWIW, the Drizabone is now soaking in a bathtub with a little soap in preparation for it's rewaxing. Although it was a very mild winter here in Wisconsin, it was wet and cold enough to give the coat a good test of it's worth.

It's a winner.

A Barbour is still in my future, but I'm going to enjoy this coat until it's been worn to threads.

Er, are these factory instructions? Unless you're going out in a monsoon every day for 3 months it really shouldn't need it. I'd wait until you actually get some seepage at the seams and then touch them up. Soap? Isn't this already on this thread? No soap on waxed cotton

Er, are these factory instructions? Unless you're going out in a monsoon every day for 3 months it really shouldn't need it. I'd wait until you actually get some seepage at the seams and then touch them up. Soap? Isn't this already on this thread? No soap on waxed cotton

I had some seepage in a few seams and in the elbow area. I soaked the coat overnight in a mild solution of soap (prescribed by the manufacturer) and rinsed thoroughly. The amount of dust and dirt that came out was nothing short of mind blowing. More likely than not, this thing hasn't had a good bath in 20+ years.

It's drying now and I've got a container of Filson's reproof I'll apply when the weather warms up again.

I have a Driza-Bone vest, purchased after the Sydney Olympics, and a Barbour Border that is almost 20 years old, and both are superbly made and clearly very durable. Haven't owned a Filson, but I've never seen a bad review on the company's products. So no wrong choice in this one.

But I love my vest and my Border, and since I live in Texas, both provide three-season use.

Now that it's been mentioned, though, the Border could use a bit of a touch-up. I think I have a spare tin somewhere ...

Now that it's been mentioned, though, the Border could use a bit of a touch-up. I think I have a spare tin somewhere ...

Word of advise.... Unless you really want to PO you're significant other, DO NOT wash your oil cloth in a bathtub that's frequently used. The mess is unbelievable. Trust me on this one.

Top Bottom