What's new

GEM Micromatic

Two good videos to watch before your first SE Shave, even though it's a different model SE the Basics are the same, they helped me get a good, comfortable shave; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQ1Rk68ygw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Listen to the Gem, it will speak to you. The louder it gets, the better your angle. If it's being quiet, then there's either nothing left to cut, or you're cutting nothing. Enjoy the audible feedback and adjust your angle on the fly to get the best shaves of your life.

Thanks for those videos, and I was surprised at the volume of the audible feedback picked up in the vid. Test comes tomorrow!

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Take your time, have good prep, & use negative-no pressure & all will go splendidly!

Those are made by Dorco. Good luck, their SE blades aren't very good for most guys.

The name "Flying Wing" is quite an interesting tidbit to me because it was in 1947 that the USAF was formed as a separate service branch. Anyway, picked up some blades this afternoon from Meijer. They're stainless, made in Korea, and labeled as "platinum chrome blades" on the package. The test comes tomorrow!

NO NO NO on hardware blades! YES YES YES to GEM PTFE blades!

I really enjoy my GEM / Every Ready SE razors. You will too ... different for sure than DE ... but worth the effort.

It's been mentioned a couple of times not to use hardware store blades, but no one has said anything about the cult dues and where to send the money.

Since most robes don't have pockets, everybody forgets to bring the dues ... need ATM machine at meeting!

Remember that guy trying to sneak into the meeting wearing a hospital gown ... yeah, the one with the dirty drawers ... HA! HA! HA! :thumbdown

Last edited:
Well, took the Flying Wing for a spin this morning and here's my AAR.

Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: 25mm Strong-Set boar (Belonged to my Grandpa, unused for at least 35 years before being returned to service yesterday."
Blade: Meijer-branded stainless "platinum chrome"
Soap: Williams
After Shave Balm: Neutrogena Post Shave Balm
After Shave Splash: Old Spice

Results:

Grandpa's boar provides a fairly decent lather with Williams, much better than my VdH. Using tips provided here and in the suggested video, I started first pass WTG, using very light touch and allowing weight of to do the work. I could hear the feedback so I thought things were ok. Non-existent to very limited beard reduction, so I re-lathered and did another WTG pass adjusting for a more aggressive angle of attack. Some beard reduction, though some tugging. Next pass XTG again with some beard reduction, though less than what I'm used to. Next pass ATG, with aggressive angle and some added pressure. Unacceptable amount of stubble remaining. Another ATG pass, with same amount of pressure took care of most of my beard, though it required significant buffing. Application of ASB yielded a minor sting, just enough to notice. ASL also yielded a bit of sting.

Impressions:

With my Superspeed, Tech, NEW and Slim, loaded with a Feather usually gives me a CCS with three passes; some occasional buffing with the Tech. While the Wing was far behind in number of passes and comfort without nicks or weepers, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because of low quality blade. I want to believe that with a better blade, results would have been better.

Well, took the Flying Wing for a spin this morning and here's my AAR.

Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: 25mm Strong-Set boar (Belonged to my Grandpa, unused for at least 35 years before being returned to service yesterday."
Blade: Meijer-branded stainless "platinum chrome"
Soap: Williams
After Shave Balm: Neutrogena Post Shave Balm
After Shave Splash: Old Spice

Results:

Grandpa's boar provides a fairly decent lather with Williams, much better than my VdH. Using tips provided here and in the suggested video, I started first pass WTG, using very light touch and allowing weight of to do the work. I could hear the feedback so I thought things were ok. Non-existent to very limited beard reduction, so I re-lathered and did another WTG pass adjusting for a more aggressive angle of attack. Some beard reduction, though some tugging. Next pass XTG again with some beard reduction, though less than what I'm used to. Next pass ATG, with aggressive angle and some added pressure. Unacceptable amount of stubble remaining. Another ATG pass, with same amount of pressure took care of most of my beard, though it required significant buffing. Application of ASB yielded a minor sting, just enough to notice. ASL also yielded a bit of sting.

Impressions:

With my Superspeed, Tech, NEW and Slim, loaded with a Feather usually gives me a CCS with three passes; some occasional buffing with the Tech. While the Wing was far behind in number of passes and comfort without nicks or weepers, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because of low quality blade. I want to believe that with a better blade, results would have been better.

I would not be considering the razor as the source of the stubble reduction issues...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/198978-Dorco-SE-blade - if those SE blades happen to say "Made in Korea" somewhere on them which some other posts lead me to believe they do.

Last edited:
I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because of low quality blade. I want to believe that with a better blade, results would have been better.
Find a spot in your garage for those blades, they aren't worth diddly-doo for shaving. You'll see much better results with some of the good blades that have been recomended.

Find a spot in your garage for those blades, they aren't worth diddly-doo for shaving. You'll see much better results with some of the good blades that have been recomended.

Most definitely!

What should have been wallowing in smooth faced glory has been sabotaged by evil foreign schemes! A pox upon Dorco!

Most definitely!

What should have been wallowing in smooth faced glory has been sabotaged by evil foreign schemes! A pox upon Dorco!

Those Korean blades will definitely be relegated to garage duty! I know I'd rather have them scraping paint, rather than my face!

As has been suggested, Walgreens carries some fine GEM SS blades. I can find a decent selection of carbon steel blades at other small regional stores in my area, one of the dollar stores carries PAL blades, but I can't recall the exact one. If your search comes up dry shoot me a PM, I'll get some good blades headed your way.

As has been suggested, Walgreens carries some fine GEM SS blades. I can find a decent selection of carbon steel blades at other small regional stores in my area, one of the dollar stores carries PAL blades, but I can't recall the exact one. If your search comes up dry shoot me a PM, I'll get some good blades headed your way.

Hey, I just saw your avatar. Are you the Micromatic Youtube star? If so, nice vids! I saw that a good shave is possible with this razor. As I mentioned in my AAR, I'm certain my results had more to do with the blade rather than the razor because to get any type of cutting it took quite a bit of pressure, rather than simply guiding the razor.

I don't know that I'd call myself a "star", but I'm responsible for the videos. I'm glad you enjoyed them. The Flying Wing style is going to be a slightly different shave then the OCMM, but you are correct that the results could be better than what you seem to have had.

Top Bottom