What's new

Brylcreem

Regarding Brylcreem, if you run your fingers thru your hair later in the day does it come off on your fingers? Does it leave a stain on a couch cushion if you rest your head there?

Regarding Brylcreem, if you run your fingers thru your hair later in the day does it come off on your fingers? Does it leave a stain on a couch cushion if you rest your head there?

No, and no. It is relatively dry (if you use the correct amount "a little dab ...")

No, and no. It is relatively dry (if you use the correct amount "a little dab ...")

Thanks! I've been experimenting. Groom & Clean didn't work for me in holding my thick wavy hair in place (short with a side part) and I'm seeking a less expensive alternative to American Crew pomade.

thick wavy hair in place (short with a side part)

I have the same type of hair, and wear it in the same way. How I find Brylcreem works best is the following: After a shower, dry your hair with a towel, but try to leave some moisture in (not completely dry). By the time you get dressed and put a shirt on, your hair should still be a little damp, this is the best time to put Brylcreem in. Just use a little dab on your palm and spread on your hands, then apply and try to shape your hair a bit. You will need to comb after, as Brylcreem doesn't have much holding power on it's own, but will help hold once combed. After that, I usually like to comb again / touchup quickly about 10 - 15 minutes after I put it in, right before I'm out the door for the day. By this time, my hair is completely dry, and the second comb through usually ensures everything is locked in place and I'm ready for the day.

Hope it works for you!

I have the same type of hair, and wear it in the same way. How I find Brylcreem works best is the following: After a shower, dry your hair with a towel, but try to leave some moisture in (not completely dry). By the time you get dressed and put a shirt on, your hair should still be a little damp, this is the best time to put Brylcreem in. Just use a little dab on your palm and spread on your hands, then apply and try to shape your hair a bit. You will need to comb after, as Brylcreem doesn't have much holding power on it's own, but will help hold once combed. After that, I usually like to comb again / touchup quickly about 10 - 15 minutes after I put it in, right before I'm out the door for the day. By this time, my hair is completely dry, and the second comb through usually ensures everything is locked in place and I'm ready for the day.

Hope it works for you!

Good tips to know. I'm going to give it a try tomarrow on my day off (try not to experiement when I go into the office).

I'm resurrecting this long dead thread because I picked up a tube of this stuff at my local grocery store not knowing anything about it. I was looking at shaving supplies and it was right there in cool retro packaging.

This stuff is great. Not nearly as strong holding as gels, pomades etc, just better.

Did you ever use Vitalis? Saw some in WalMart last week and that brought back lots of memories of guys with flat tops that were high and tight and blocked.

I used this stuff every day for years. It could get build up that's pretty heavy - more llike a pomade. I've long ago branched out but it's still sitting around in my bathroom. It must still be somewhat popular as I see it on store shelves regularly all over the country.

Top Bottom