What's new

shaving two days in a row

well after some reading on here i concluded that some people do shave with a straight daily and are used to it, so i decided to give shaving two days in a row a shot. Bad idea it turns out. I abandoned it about halfway through my 2nd pass. There was some bloody spots and a lot of razor burn. Yesterday i had gotten a pretty good shave with no real cuts, but i had a spot on my neck that i didn't really get, so i wanted to try out a few new techniques and such and see if my face could handle two days in a row. Turns out it can't. so my styptic pencil is my best friend right now and my ASB is kind of burning. Won't be trying that till i get better and get irritation free shaves consistently before i even think about attempting this again. I'm a little disappointed in myself right now, but i kind of expected this.

You'll have this issue in the beginning. Shaving also removes a layer of skin. Your skin doesn't have time to heal, which is why it might irritate the next day. What you might have seen is people that have been shaving for a long time. For me, I was able to shave every day if I only had 1 pass. It took a few months before I was able to shave every day with multiple passes.

I guess it is like playing the guitar or studying Karata. It takes a while to build up the callouses

here's an update...my god i hate myself for attempting this right now. my neck feels tight and tender to the touch. A LOT of shea butter will be used this weekend.

Ease up on the pressure and maybe a more shallow angle.
Same thing that applies to a DESR also applies to straights.

I shave EVERY night after my shower.
I've been shaving with carts for decades, so my skin is used to a blade, but not a DE/Straight.
I'm approaching the end (tomorrow) of my 2nd week of shaving with a straight. First week was on a Boker 5/8 Stainless, 2nd week has been on a Dovo 6/8 Bismarck.
I missed one day last weekend, but not due to irritation... simply because I'm lazy on the weekends.
Prior to the move to straights on October 30, I'd been shaving with a Muhle R41 DE for the previous 3 weeks, and a week before that on the Merkur 38C.

I have less irritation with the straights, but what irritation I have is a little different... my skin feels tighter overall, but the only areas where I'd say there is any soreness is under my jaw, and that's because I work the heck out of that area ATG to get a good close shave. Getting extremely close to BBS there, but the point of my chin eludes me... I just can't get a good angle to get a close shave without weepers.

I find if I skip a day, the added growth results in the need for an extra pass, which worsens the irritation.

Welcome to B&B. If you don't have any witch hazel, I'd pick some up. I've found it a lot more soothing than any of my balms.

my razor is a W.H. Morley & Sons Extra Hollow Ground straight razor purchased through Larry at Whipped Dog. I've been using a T&H ivory badger brush with a bunch of samples from the T&H sample pack to make my lather and have been using the ASB that matches the scent of the cream i used for that shave as a post-shave with a cool rinse. Pre-shave consists of a hot shower or a lather then a hot towel and a re-lather. Granted i am still experimenting with methods of blade angles and stretching to try to get the best results, but i have been able to get relatively satisfying shaves with a straight (I started in August of 2011 with a Parker shavette).

First off, welcome to B&B. Take your time to read and learn, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I still use the search function from time to time

I think that your experience is "normal" for someone just starting out. I started wetshaving on a straight and it took some time to master the technique. Until your technique is "spot on," you will have more irritation than normal. Also, don't be afraid to give your face a rest if needed. I usually shave everyday, but if I have a bad shave for some reason, I don't sweat it. The skin is extremely resilient. It will recover. The important thing is that you continue to learn. Over time, your technique will improve and your skin will become accustomed to this new style of shaving. At some point, shaving every day will become not only more comfortable, but more natural.

if you can endure the first week, second is going to be milder. you need 2 things
1 right razor and blade combo
2 right technique

i am into my second week and things have improved a lot. hoping same happens to you.

Top Bottom