What's new

Genuine Horn and Bone Shaving Brush from Vietnam- Kim Son

http://www.kimsoncraft.com/shaving-brush/Genuine-horn-and-bone

Anyone ever purchased from this gentleman?
Seems very awesome.

I do here that shipping is very slow though.

Any thoughts?
What is your favorite color?

Bone versus Horn (which is better?)

Regards,
-Rick.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've never purchased from him, but I know he sells a lot of 1911 handles and the people who have bought them have been happy with them. Kim Son uses the 'best' part of the horns, the most dense so they don't dry out and crack.

I've purchased a brush from Kim Son in the past. Communication was spotty and it took over 4 months for the brush to get here. I really liked the handle, but wasn't so fond of the knot. I gave it to a friend.

If I were going to do it again, I would probably send Rudy Vey an email instead.

I ordered one (horn) about a 2 years ago and added my observations to the B&B review thread shortly thereafter: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...e=-kim-son-horn-handle-silvertip-brush&cat=38

It is still by far my favorite brush (I've also tried several Simpsons, a Kent, a couple TGN brushes with grade A silvertip knots, and a couple of Shavemacs.)

The brush reached me within 15 days.

Then, about 7 months ago I ordered 2 more (also horn, to give as gifts to my father and brother). Took about 6 weeks - and one email query at about week 5 - to get them. I got the impression the delay wasn't due so much to forgetfulness or negligence as it was to just being really busy and trying to grow the operation/personnel. Just my impression/experience though...

That said, I should also mention why it is still my favorite brush (although it just might get bumped to number two by a Shavemac D01 3-band flat-top in the near future)...

I like my brushes soft with zero scritchiness. And that is exactly what it delivers.

So, if you like to feel a bit of scritchiness when you apply your lather - even just a little - you will not like the Kimson knot.

If you like plush softness without any scritch then you'll probably be very happy with it.

As far as backbone/density go. I'm a soap using face latherer and have absolutely no problem making a great lather with it. While it may take a few extra swirls on the puck compared to a stubbier or scrubbier brush, it loads soap just fine. Also does really well with creams both in the bowl and on the face.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have one that I picked up some time back on the BST for a really good price - less than 1/3 the $ of a M&F natural horn. The horn handle is awesome, the knot is described fairly by the previous posters, it isn't the densest, stiffest, scritchiest, but does work for hard soap face lathers as well as creams. I tend to use it with cream when it comes up in the rotation, as the loft & softness (mines a 25 mm knot with 53 mm loft) really lend themselves to that software.

I like the marbling of the Bone the most.

Any difference in the Bone versus Horn materials?
Grip, weight, usage, etc?

Very interesting. I do see from his site that the shortest loft knot they offer is over 57mm. My preference is 43-47mm. He said they do sell handles only. I didn't see a price for that option.

That loft numbers are wrong. That is the loft of the badger knots alone, without the handle.

The loft of the brush itself should be around 52-53 mm for a 23/24mm knot. The knots are very dense, super soft tips... I prefer my Kimson than my T&HRooney 1/3 Silvertip!

The "handle only" option is at the bottom of the page where you select the brush.

Be prepared for a looooooooong waiting time: about 4 months.

Oh, and there's some photos of mine:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Good review.

I like the Horn, but I definitely prefer the Bone, because I feel like it compliments the hair colors better.

Top Bottom