What's new

How to Properly Break in a New Semogue?

Hey everyone!

My new Semogue 830 arrived today, and it is awesome! So glad I bought one. :w00t:

Now since its my first high end boar brush (owned an Omega 10049 for a short time), I want to treat it right and give myself the best experience with it.

So question: What is the best and proper way to break in my new Semogue?

Thanks!

Here's his first photo:

Attachments

• $photo.JPG
    $photo.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 366
My routine is to give the brush a test lather, then get right to using it.

Don't expect great performance for the first 10 or so uses. You can put miles on it by test lathering, then letting it fully dry. The drying process is what causes the tips to split and soften.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'll usually give the new brush a test lather or wash it with some dish soap (some of the dyed bore bristles will run for the first few lathers, so don't be surprised if your water is a funny color). Then just use it like normal and each time will be better than the last.

You've got a great brush there!

The Semogue #830 is my favorite boar... I always break my brushes in by using them.. If a new one arrives and it's too late in the day, I'll do a test lather. Otherwise, just use 'em!

The 830 is the only brush I regret getting rid of. I didn't have the patience to break it in right and sold it too soon.

Nice brush. Just use it. It might be a little stingey on the lather for a few days, thats all. Oh, just remembered, first time a dyed brush might give off some dye, so a couple of bowl lathers rather than face is the way to go with banded boars.

Last edited:
With all my boars, I break them in with a daily lather and rinse, then let them dry. I repeat this daily for a week. After a week, I use the brush with at least a two day rest between uses. Then it is just a matter of time. After about ten to twenty uses, the boar will start feeling really good. A key is giving the brush enough time to really dry. This promotes the splitting of the tips which gives you the softness you're looking for. The longest break-in time was my Semogue 620. That puppy took about 25 uses to really start feeling good. I don't have a 830 to speak to it directly. My 820 came along very quickly where my B&B Custom took about 18-20 uses to really get comfortable.

Breaking in a boar can be a challange. But that is part of what I enjoy with this "hobby".

that's a beautiful brush and i have one just like it. i usually lather a new little piggy and let it set over night before a good rinse then a 24hr dry time. it took mine a few weeks to break but as all good pigs do, it came around to my liking. most important to allow a good dry time from what others have said. enjoy it

My 830 ran a bit of dye to begin with so a lather or two before use can help with the cosmetics.

From there just use it. My 830 was pretty greedy with the lather to begin with so don't be afraid to give it a good slug of soap or cream and a good soak prior to loading. You have a very nice brush there, enjoy!

using it, following by at least 48 hours of drying time... depending on your location. This will begin the 'split end' process... after 20-30 cycles like this, you will have a great boar brush that will keep getting better and better for the next 6-12 months!

Thanks everyone!

I was looking for the advice about drying out and such. I knew there was a little more to it than just "using it". Hadn't thought about the bleeding dye, so that tip will help alot also.

I'm going to test lather him up tonight before my shave, and since I can only shave every other day, in 2 I'll lather him up again for the next shave and keep that going for about a month. I'm not sure if I can give it a month of attention all to itself, gotta share the love with my other brushes... But I guess its kinda like getting a new puppy. They require all your attention at first, and if you raise em right, you'll be rewarded in the long run! LOL

Thanks again!

Like others have said, allowing it to fully dry between uses promotes splitting and will soften the brush over three to four weeks. My SOC took a month to break in enough to give me a good lather. But it continued improving for at least another two or three months after that. I just recently started breaking in a Semogue 610. I plan on making a quick lather with it every other day and then letting it dry completely. I probably won't shave with it for a few weeks. By then, my 2011 LE Bristle should be here and I can get to breaking it in.

I'm breaking in a new 820 and what I do is soak it for 5 minutes (water only 1/2 way up bristles) then build a lather and work it on my hand. I then hang it to dry.

I've read that it is the soaking/drying out that causes tips to split and really initiate break-in.

Be patient and plan on at least a month before it starts to work well. I was just about ready to sell my 1305 on BST when it uncorked one of the best lathers I ever got from Pre de Provence.
The 1305 continues to improve.

Before I use a new boar brush I wash them with a mild dish washing detergent, rinse well and then give them a 5 minute soak in a warm (not hot) 1:5 vinegar solution, rinse it out again and finally to get rid of the vinegar smell I lather up some shampoo. After that they lost most of the smell and I just use them, first to bowl lather and paint the lather on my face and when they softened up I face lather with them. Works for me YMMV.

Top Bottom