What's new

Is a blade that hasn't been used for days any good? How to preserve?

I try to change out my blades every three or so days, depending on results. But there are times when I can't or don't shave for a couple of days, or have to use a different razor/blade (i.e., I change to a new blade on Monday, then get called out of town on Tuesday, so I use my travel kit razor/blade instead, leaving the new one partially used.)

What happens to the unused blade during that fallow time? Is there deterioration? Any hints on avoiding such deterioration, if it happens?

thanks,

Dan

No worries about it. It's just a few days. Nothing appreciable will happen to the edge.
You'll dull it much much faster by shaving with it. Besides, blades are cheap.
I frequently shave with blades that have been sitting in the package for 40 years, and they're some of the best blades I use.
-- Chet

I have two homes and, this time of year, I alternate between them. If I have a blade in a razor, I won't throw it away just because it sits for a week or so.

So, I often come "home" to find a blade that's been sitting, after having seen previous service.

I honestly have not noticed any difference in performance or wear.

In the summer, I don't travel as much and a blade might sit in a razor for a month or more. I still don't notice any deterioration.

I DO use a razor holder, so the razor is not bouncing around in a drawer. But... merely sitting and waiting doesn't seem to have much effect on it.

I know it's completely irrational, but if a blade gets used once or twice and then ends up sitting for 3 or 4 days I always toss it.
I had one bad experience a few years ago that I'M SURE was due to user error more than anything, but why risk it, right? :biggrin1:

Modern blades don't seem to deteriorate; I've used ones that have been sitting in the razor for several months. I toss the blade in a razor when it begins to dull. I have returned from a trip and had a 1-use blade in the razor. I had intended to pull it out and use it in my house razor, but simply forgot. A few months later I went on another trip and found the blade in my travel razor; it performed exactly like any other Astra SP that had one shave on its edges. Don't sweat it.

I don't find this is a problem. I have a rotation of 5-7 razors each of which has a blade loaded at the start of the rotation. At 4-6 shaves/blade and shaving 5-6 times/week, it takes me over a month to finish the rotation. The razors are in a tray with a rubberized mat for this time. I've had no problems with any of the blades deteriorating in any way.

I just wanna say, if a blade is removed from the razor and completely DRIED between uses, it will then NOT corrode as fast.. Yes, the cutting edge "rusts" slightly from water though imperceptible to our eyes..... we don't see it but it happens. You will preserve your blades better, and probably get more shaves from them too....... I just wanted to share this. It works for me!!!!
Regards,
John H.

I'm currently shaving with a vintage personna, in fact I'm shaving with the same blade since May 21 and I didn't saw any deterioration so far.

I frequently use blades that have been sitting for days or even weeks. I suppose some time even months. It's really only an issue if you're using a high carbon steel blade that has been put away wet, as it is more prone to corrosion.

This MAY BE a very important issue. I am not sure if it makes a difference or not. I have heard that dying and cleaning a blade will improve the next performance. Currently it is what I spend time on. I dry and wipe my bladed, then dip the razor head in oil. Is that nuts?!?!

This MAY BE a very important issue. I am not sure if it makes a difference or not. I have heard that dying and cleaning a blade will improve the next performance. Currently it is what I spend time on. I dry and wipe my bladed, then dip the razor head in oil. Is that nuts?!?!
That could be nuts if you are touching the blade edge. Are you 100% positive you are not physically damaging the edge?

I just rinse my razor under hot water when I'm done shaving, and put it away.... If the blade was good at that point, time doesn't make a bit of difference. If I shave with that razor the next day, or a month later, it's exactly the same...

The only time I do anything different is if I travel. The chance of damaging the blade edge is great then, so I travel with an empty razor, and a fresh pack of blades.

As said, it'll be fine, unless you use carbon steel blades, which will rust very quickly in anything other than a completely dry state. They are rare among in-production blades, here is a thread about carbon options.

Excellent thread topic and a lot of great info here. I confess to having the same question come across my mind many times. I have always taken the razor out of my travel kit and used it at home but have been wanting to just leave it in there for the next trip. Now I feel comfortable doing so.

The only thing that will dull a blade not used is rust. As long as it is clean and dry it should not matter how long you let a blade sits. Just like a knife, if it is clean and dry years later it is still sharp. If it is wet and there is a moisture like a small pool of water the blade is touching it will rust eventually. Modern manufactures use stainless so blades don't rust as easy. Since this is disposable that is ok. That is why blades do not last long. The less carbon in the steel the harder it is to keep it sharp. That is why is straights are high carbon. You expect to use them over and over. The problem is they rust more easily. Stainless can and will rust but it is lot harder to do that than with high carbon. That is why you can keep the blade in the razor with some moisture a lot longer than you can let a straight sit with moisture on it. For a 3 to 5 use disposable stainless makes a lot more sense. It can stay rust free for years in storage and you expect it to lose it edge after a small number of uses.

Most blades say rinse do not wipe. There is a microscopic coating of platinum, ceramic, etc. that helps keep the rust away. You can wipe the coating off so what you gain from making sure it is dried and oiled is likely little. The coatings will keep the blade from rusting even with a little moisture over the life of the blade. So at best it is not necessary. At worst the removal of the coating allows it to rust. Although the oil should help prevent that. I would also be cautious of using something other than food grade oil to oil the blade. What ever goes on the blade goes in your blood if you cut yourself.

Forget dipping the razor head in oil, it is not necessary. My Astra SS has completed 20 shaves and has been dried after each use. It is still giving me a good shave which implies no damage to the edges.

If you use oil be sure to remove it before shaving or the razor may skip and play hopscotch all over your face .

If I don't use a blade for a while I will leave it in the razor and spray it with alcohol or lysterine . Lysterine was once used to disinfect hospital equipment .

Top Bottom