What's new

Greetings and a few questions from a Newbie

Hi All,

This is a great forum. I've learned so much by searching and reading. Thanks to you all for your liberal sharing. I can tell how excited you are wet shaving "the old fashioned" way.

By way of introduction, I'll tell you how I came to find B&B. I have been using a Panasonic wet/dry shaver for several years with shaving cream. It provides an okay shave, but never got my neck area very well. I always trimmed my neck area with a cartridge razor, usually a two-blade Sensor Excel cartridge. I didn't use the cartridge on my whole face because it really irritated my skin -- and I didn't understand why until I started reading here.

I became fed up with the "state-of-the-art" shaving technology when I got the new Gillette Fusion sample razor in the mail. This is so ridiculous as to be beyond the pale. The two-blade cartridges are getting harder to find, I will NOT pay $3.50 for a touch-up razor! And none of us believe they will stop at 5 blades. It is shameless marketing for a public gone crazy for the next techno-thrill. If 2 is good, 3 is better, 4 must be the best, and 5, well it is off the charts! I'm in the computer industry and really like technology, but there is a limit.

I think I did a web search for "Gillette Fusion silly" and ended up at a B&B page where I began to explore shaving as my grandfather did it. Nobody ever told me that the proper shave cream and brush and lather and angle and (no) pressure would make a difference.

Well, I took the plunge. I read reviews and recommendations and decided to start with the Merkur Vision 2000 (or 2007? - no set screw). Even though many said it was too aggressive to start with, I assured myself I would "dial it down" and only work my way up as I increased my skill. Besides, my bathroom is too small for me to contract RAD. :001_smile To go with my new DE, I got a nice pure badger brush, some Taylor's avocado, an alum block and some styptic, just in case.

Today was my first DE shave. I showered, washing my face with soap and water. I warmed my bowl. I lathered. And I shaved. I did three passes, trying hard to remember all I'd read about WTG, XTG, low to no pressure.

The result? No nicks, just a spot of blood from a blemish I managed to shave. So my fears of butchering myself the first time were a bit exaggerated. By the end of the third pass, I'd have to say it's about as close as my electric shaver gets, so I'm quite satisfied with that. I will have a few irritation spots, but minor, I think. I did feel, as another post-er put it, like a man standing there cutting my beard off (I'm 43). Maybe it's the association with my grandfather, and his shaving mug and brush. But there is something very satisfying in a manly way about using the brush to lather my face and hearing the beard being cut off.

As to my questions (thanks for hanging in there)...
1. I got out of the shower and left my face wet. But then I had to make my lather in my bowl. Should I re-wet my beard before applying the lather?

2. Should it be my goal to make enough lather for all passes? I ran out and added some more, but I think some of the cream got too much lather.

3. My face tended to dry while I was shaving. I realize I'll probably get faster later, but can I wet my hand and add a little water to my face as I pull my skin, etc?

4. I did feel a bit like my blade was pulling and not just cutting, and I wonder if that was because my beard wasn't soft enough. Can anyone recommend a pre-shave lotion, like Proraso Pre-Post Shave or something like it?

I'll check back in as the days pass. I really want this to work. It's a nice bit of man-pampering, if I can say that. :w00t:

HP --

Welcome to B&B. Regarding your first shave, Well Done!

As to my questions (thanks for hanging in there)...
1. I got out of the shower and left my face wet. But then I had to make my lather in my bowl. Should I re-wet my beard before applying the lather?

Yes.

2. Should it be my goal to make enough lather for all passes? I ran out and added some more, but I think some of the cream got too much lather.

Yes. The shave cream/soap is not costly, so don't scrimp.

3. My face tended to dry while I was shaving. I realize I'll probably get faster later, but can I wet my hand and add a little water to my face as I pull my skin, etc?

Yes, of course. Water is key to wet shaving.

4. I did feel a bit like my blade was pulling and not just cutting, and I wonder if that was because my beard wasn't soft enough. Can anyone recommend a pre-shave lotion, like Proraso Pre-Post Shave or something like it?

The pulling that you experienced is most likely due to improper blade angle and/or pressure on the razor. Shave lotions or oils generally are unnecessary and probably won't help if the issue is blade angle. Pre-shave prep is very important, though, so make sure you read the 'stickied' postings at the top of this forum.

HP, (name? We're informal here...) you haven't mentioned it, but make sure that you view Mantic's shaving videos that he has posted on the net at YouTube.

-- John Gehman

Welcome to B&B!

The rule of thumb seems to be to take an almond-size amount of cream, that should make enough lather for all your passes, but especially in the beginning you might want to take a little extra cream. Talking of the shaving cream, Taylor's Avocado was my first shaving cream as well, it's great stuff and I love it!

As for the comfort of the shave, the tugging you're getting right now might very well be due to improper technique, that'll get a lot better. It might also be the blades you are using. I don't know what blades you are using right now, but getting a sampler pack might be a good idea. Eventually you'll need new blades anyway, and buying a sampler pack from (for instance) westcoastshaving.com is a great way to get to use a few different brands of blades to see what suits you best.

There are stickies here on B&B in the different sections about different parts of shaving (pre-shave prepping, lather making and so on), those are great reads. And if you can, Mantic's videos as mentioned above are a great resource as well.

Good luck!

That pulling may have also been your shaving against the grain of the stubble. Map your face so you'll know which direction to shave in for WTG, (With The Grain), XTG, (Across the grain) and instead of trying for ATG, (Against The Grain), at first, I'd suggest using cheveron strokes, v^, XTG to avoid damage. Hang in there, they only get better with practice.

By the way, your doing much better than I did my first visit with the Vision. I really thought the second and third pass lathers were suppose to be pink in color, lol!

Welcome to B&B!

Besides Mantic's video's, make sure to look at the wet shaving faq and the stickies on top of many of the forums, if you haven't already. There is some really good advice/information there.

Top Bottom