What's new

Superiority of Cast Iron

Blix, avoid anything made in China. Lodge is good, but some argue that the vintage Wagner and Griswold cast iron skillets are better.

Well...
Calphalon (preferably the hard-anodized version if you can find it) is the best choice for cookware adhering to the new technology. Performs much like cast iron
Lodge cast iron (made in good old Tennessee) is great stuff. This should be your choice if you are looking for new cast iron
Griswold...the Holy Grail of cast iron. Once made in Erie, PA. Been out of business for many years buy you can still find Griswold pans at garage sales, second-hand shops and probably eBay. If the seller knows what she/he has, it'll cost you.

I agree... it is hard to beat a properly seasoned cast iron pan. I cook everything that isn't very acidic (such as tomato sauces) in cast iron.

I love cast iron pots for making soups, stews, casseroles, braised meats, etc. The heat retention in those things lets me cook low and slow without fear of burning my food.

Yeah, my Mom loves my 10qt cast iron dutch oven. So, I bought her one and had it delivered to her house. She couldn't pick it up when it was delivered! She had to roll the box end-over-end into the house.

I have a 6" 12" and 14" as well as a griddle. Nothing beats cast, just wish it wasnt so damn heavy

Ha. My French copper stuff is way heavier. No way I get anyone to clean that after cooking.

I prefer cast iron cookware, but they can be difficult to keep non-stick if every houshold member that uses them will not treat them right. I have to keep a dedicated set of cast iron and carbon kitchen knives aside in a secure place for my personal use. I have had to resort to buying seperate cookware and knives for family use in order to keep peace. At least cast iron can be recovered after abuse and will last just about forever.

Blix, avoid anything made in China. Lodge is good, but some argue that the vintage Wagner and Griswold cast iron skillets are better.

I have a cast iron item that says "Taiwan" on the bottom. I don't know the age because it came out of an apartment that I was cleaning out. I did have to do some work to restore it, and it has since been a nice piece.

I got the wife one of the glass top stoves, and she refuses to use the cast iron on it. She is afraid that it will scratch the stovetop.

My favorite is a 5 gal. round bottom pot we do use on a big gas burner outdoors to make gumbo, soups and chili. We always make a full pot so there is plenty to freeze for later, in fact will be making a big pot of vegatible beef soup tomorrow.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Do tell!

... oh great, another AD in the offing.

You have to get the Teknor-Apex cutting board first. :001_tt2:

I'm willing to wager that Jim will have one on him when I see him tonight. He did the last time I saw him (and so did Scotto!)

Search DeBuyer and you'll probably see some on the site.

attachment.php

Top Bottom