What's new

To celebrate an ending......

Hey guys. So, this Friday will mark the handing in of my thesis and thus the completion of my master's degree. I want to celebrate appropriately. I've considered a number of cigars and after speaking to a couple of people, a Cohiba BHK52 was suggested for such an occasion. Anyone here smoked one? I don't mind spending the money on this once off, but is it worth the price tag?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have no experience with the new behikes, but I would reccomend a Partagás Lusitania. There are only a couple of occasions where smoking a cigar like the luci is appropriate, I would think this is one of them.

Congratulations, mate! What is your masters on? Assuming you don't mind me asking.

I've always considered Cohibas overpriced and overrated. I buy Siglo IVs occasionally 'cause my plumber likes them (Cpt Blue Bear's advice for life: keep your tradesmen happy, especially the plumber and the sparky - its largely thanks to them that you don't freeze in the dark). I've not had Behike but I am put off by the size. Long I can cope with (I like panatellas) but 50+ ring gauges I find off putting enough that I don't enjoy the smoke.

These days I'm really hard pressed to beat a Montecristo. I used to think Punch were better, but the last lot of Montes (5 box) I had were absolutely superb. I'm having trouble imagining a cigar could get significantly better. So how about a Monte A? You may even be able to find a singleton in the wooden coffin. Best set aside two to three hours to smoke that puppy, however.

What do you like normally? That should give some pointers to a special occasion cigar for you.

Congratulations, mate! What is your masters on? Assuming you don't mind me asking.

I've always considered Cohibas overpriced and overrated. I buy Siglo IVs occasionally 'cause my plumber likes them (Cpt Blue Bear's advice for life: keep your tradesmen happy, especially the plumber and the sparky - its largely thanks to them that you don't freeze in the dark). I've not had Behike but I am put off by the size. Long I can cope with (I like panatellas) but 50+ ring gauges I find off putting enough that I don't enjoy the smoke.

These days I'm really hard pressed to beat a Montecristo. I used to think Punch were better, but the last lot of Montes (5 box) I had were absolutely superb. I'm having trouble imagining a cigar could get significantly better. So how about a Monte A? You may even be able to find a singleton in the wooden coffin. Best set aside two to three hours to smoke that puppy, however.

What do you like normally? That should give some pointers to a special occasion cigar for you.

You are a wise, wise man! I wish there were millions more like you.
To the OP, congratulations! I unfortunately cannot answer your question. I have heard the Cohibas are over rated, but that is others opinions and I am unwilling to spend the money to find out for myself.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I've been given Cohiba's before and liked them but I don't have anything else to compare them to.

Congratulations!! I haven't tried the Cohibas available in the US so I can't really comment on them. My last higher end celebratory cigar were Ashton Cabinets and I enjoyed them quite a bit.

You can't go wrong with a Davidoff, unless they are too mild for you. When I was in college, one of my friends had a rather large collection of the miniature liquor bottles that you generally see on airlines. The day that he got into medical school we celebrated by drinking all of them; I still sorta remember that.

Thanks for all the congratulations guys! I can't say I "normally" smoke anything, as I am still trying something new each time I buy. My favourites so far are the Punch Coronations (only Punch I have tried) and the Macanudo maduro. I've enjoyed the Cohiba (it was my first cigar, I dare say I'd like it even more now), Montecristo and RyJ I've tried as well, but not as much as the other two.

+1 to anything Davidoff, the Aniversario's are fantastic IMO. Also i recommend Avo #3's. Congrats on the masters sir. Also you should indulge yourself in a good brandy (out of my depth here, but its the old school thing with a cigar) or a scotch (if you are new to scotch, start off with a nice blend like Johnnie Walker Black or if you want a single malt go with the mild yet tasty Balvenie 12 yr (available at Binnys)

Top Bottom