What's new

Moss Scuttle Notes

Hmm, so what do you guys think an appropriate size custom scuttle would be for a 25mm brush? Maybe a 12 inch diameter?

Reidar,
My brushes range in size from 20mm to 27mm, and the large scuttle seems to work well with all of them. The small scuttle might work better for the smaller brushes (I don't know for sure because I didn't get one.), but I am satisfied with the results I get from the large.

Ah, okay. It just sounded like a difference of 8 cm and 10 cm is neglibible. If the large is fine for a 25mm brush, then I won't have to bother her with a custom. Thanks khari.

Just happened to come home for a few minutes mid-day and USPS lady personally handed me my much awaited, personally autographed, large brown Scuttle direct from the Great North. Yee Haw!!! :biggrin:

She's a real beauty and arrived in perfect shape only fifteen days after placing my order! I've already smoothed up her little bottom...oh yeah baby!!! I can't wait to get her all heated up and make some lather! :lol:

PottyDoctor said:
Just happened to come home for a few minutes mid-day and USPS lady personally handed me my much awaited, personally autographed, large brown Scuttle direct from the Great North. Yee Haw!!! :biggrin:

She's a real beauty and arrived in perfect shape only fifteen days after placing my order! I've already smoothed up her little bottom...oh yeah baby!!! I can't wait to get her all heated up and make some lather! :lol:

Ron,

I would like to say it sounds like a fun shaving adventure is in store for you, but the way you put it, it just sounds dirty...

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Ron,

I would like to say it sounds like a fun shaving adventure is in store for you, but the way you put it, it just sounds dirty...
Randy
A little hard soap will clean that all up..

I recently purchased the small scuttle from Sara. Very nicely made. Works just as described above. However, the small is, well, small. I'd suggest ordering the larger size, or asking Sara to customize to something larger than the 4 inch size. Not that it doesn't work-it does. Just a bit cramped, though.

Well, it's supposed to be snug, in order to keep contact between the brush and the warm sides of the mug between passes. It has required a bit of adjustment to get used to lathering in a smaller "pocket," but I'm getting there. :biggrin:

-Rich

PoshRichM said:
Well, it's supposed to be snug, in order to keep contact between the brush and the warm sides of the mug between passes. It has required a bit of adjustment to get used to lathering in a smaller "pocket," but I'm getting there. :biggrin:

-Rich

I would agree it takes some adjusting for sure. I received my large size Moss Scuttle a little over a week ago. I understand the larger brush size is supposed to help retain the heat, however I have trouble stirring up a good lather and keeping it contained in the cup with my ShaveMac 22579, which is only 23mm. However, the ShaveMac's blossom really splays out and does a fine job of completely filling the cup. I actually find the Scuttle works better with my Crabtree & Evelyn $35 Best Badger Brush made by Edwin Jagger, which is approximately a 21mm brush. The little C&E is quite possibly the best value going in a brush, IMHO. It is really a nice fit for the Scuttle, at least the way I like to use it.

I still use a very large [5"] soup mug for my ShaveMac and really love having plenty of room for whipping up a luxurious lather. Maybe I'm just not as neat at stirring up a lather in the relatively small "pocket" as some seem to be. Quite possibly more practice is needed on my part! :blush:

This is exactly why I've been holding off on purchasing a scuttle--I just can't see myself making lather in such a small, confined place. I understand that this is what makes the lather retain its warmth, but it sounds so awkward that I'm not sure its worth the trade off.

I'd like to hear from those of you that have taken the Moss plunge--is the warm lather worth making that lather in such a confined space?

mrob said:
This is exactly why I've been holding off on purchasing a scuttle--I just can't see myself making lather in such a small, confined place. I understand that this is what makes the lather retain its warmth, but it sounds so awkward that I'm not sure its worth the trade off.

I'd like to hear from those of you that have taken the Moss plunge--is the warm lather worth making that lather in such a confined space?

It is a neat little device.... but I am not gaga over it. It keeps the lather "warm" but not hot, and it isn't warm for too terribly long. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad at all, but I get better lather from my ceramic shaving bowl - albeit it is not hot for as long. I suppose if I cared enough - if I put the bowl on a mug warmer I could/would get it HOTTER than the moss scuttle, but I think when you are buying the moss scuttle you are buying it for its mix of function and FORM.... .probably form more than anything else, as a moss scuttle looks a hell of a lot nicer on the counter than a hot pot or a mug warmer :wink:

To each their own... maybe when my replacement shows up (sans the hole) I might like it a little more, but so far - I think it is "ok." For $70 though? Eh.

Are the majority of you in Europe and that's why the shipping costs so much? I'm in California and as far as I know, it was $40 with $5 shipping.

Reidar said:
Are the majority of you in Europe and that's why the shipping costs so much? I'm in California and as far as I know, it was $40 with $5 shipping.

I am in California as well.... and if you paid $5 shipping (legitimately) then I was robbed.

Reidar said:

My Scuttle was shipped to me in Tennessee. The receipt from Sara showed $65 [Canadian] total; itemized to show $40 for the Scuttle and $25 for Shipping and Handling. The total in US Dollars charged to my CC was $58.51. That means my Scuttle [in USD] was actually $36, the Packaging was $4.50 and the Shipping was $18.01.

The $5 [CDN] you speak of is what Sara charges for packaging, and she does do an excellent job of packaging the Scuttle in a box several times the actual size of the Scuttle. She then adds actual shipping charges, and in my opinion, the $18.01 [USD] seems right in line with normal shipping charges from Canada to Tennessee.

I knew approximately how much it was going to cost before I ordered it and had no problems with her charges. It is a high quality piece of pottery and secondly a high quality shaving accessory. :biggrin:

Reidar,

I believe when the dust clears, you'll find you paid between $65-70 total for the scuttle. I'm in Utah, and I believe it was around $65-67 total. A well made piece that, regardless of how much I use it, will enhance the appearance of my shaving den.

Randy

Oh, I wish it would have told me. It simply said "$5 plus additional shipping costs". I can afford it, but I'll have to shop smarter from now on.

Reidar said:
Oh, I wish it would have told me. It simply said "$5 plus additional shipping costs". I can afford it, but I'll have to shop smarter from now on.

I believe you'll find it is well worth the money spent.

Randy

Not sure if this is the "correct way" to use it, but since I usually lather on my face, the scuttle works excellently. I get the scuttle good and hot, and my brush...dump the scuttle out and refill it with more hot water, get some cream on the brush and start lathering. After I am done painting my face for the first swipe, I just jam the brush into the scuttle so it stands on its bristles. No, its not anything miraculous, but I have had 4 nice warm passes with any brush I've used so far, so no complaints from me.
I got the large one, BTW, so I can do a little lathering in the bowl if I wish, but for me, half the fun is lathering a cream directly on my face. The bowl looks nice, also. Is it worth the 65 or so you will end up spending? I am happy with mine, but that is a decision which is up to you. Just like a 300 dollar brush, it is worth it to some, and not to others.
of course,
YMMV
John P.

Top Bottom