What's new

A Canadian Newbie

Hello there! I'm a 78 year old dude who's slowly returning to wet shaving. I used a safety razor when I first started shaving & I've just gone back to it after about60 years of electrics & multi-blades. I bought a cheap brush & Wilkinson soap in my local drug store & an old Gillette DE & blades on eBay & started in After a few initial cuts & scrapes I'm now able to whip up a good lather & get a nice close, comfortable shave. As I'm a retired gentleman of leisure I can take my time with hot towels on my face, etc & really enjoy my morning shave.
I'm starting to think seriously about moving on to a straight razor....better brush....nicer soap etc but just in case you're not aware of it.....living on a "fixed income" makes you think all purchases over very carefully. So....I'm thinking about a Shavette (I hate that name) because of the lower initial cost & not needing a strop or hones & then maybe saving up for a nice straight razor once I've proven to myself that I can shave with an open blade without killing myself.
I'm looking forward to having a good/instructive time here & all comments/advice are solicited & more than welcome.

Be well, all.

Bill

Welcome to B&B.

You should jump on some PIFs when they come up. As I type I am planning 4 small ones; I just have to figure out the details.

Thank you all for making me feel welcome.

I'll read the article tonight (Thanks Luc) & I'd appreciate it if DDH would tell me what a PIF is.

Thanks again.

Bill

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

I'll read the article tonight (Thanks Luc) & I'd appreciate it if DDH would tell me what a PIF is.

Thanks again.

Bill

PIF -> Pay It Forward, just like the movie. It's a gift that a member does. Instead of giving back, the person is giving away to another one. We use a few abbreviations here. Here's the list (http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Abbreviations)

Welcome from Ontario! I have used a shavette, straight and DE. Honestly, I would pass on a shavette for now, and try a refurbished straight from Whippeddog. Very inexpensive, high quality and far easier to shave with. If you put $30-$50 into a razor and poor mans strop, you will get a few months of shaves for little investment.

Thanks again.

Bill

It looks like you have your answer on what a PIF is; here is the link to the 4 combo PIF I mention above(I finally figured out how I wanted to present it) Join up.

DDH XMAS PIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom