What's new

Kent Brush (BK4)

I am nearing the decision to purchase a BK4. For the past 4 months I've been using a Vulfix 2233 exclusively (is shedding ~2 hairs per shave) and need to send that back for replacement.

Obviously, I can't be without a brush so I think it might be time for an upgrade.

I use both soaps (Tabac) and creams (Taylors, Trumpers)

I have sensitive skin and find the Vulfix to be very soft - maybe too soft? I started with the Art of Shaving starter set and found the brush included in the set to actually cause me irritation. I think soft bristles are what I need, but would like something with substance for soaps - thoughts?

I've also been toying with holding off on the BK4 and getting the C&E Best for the time being until I have a real excuse to "splurge" on another quality brush. Any thoughts there?

Also - I notice the "GBK1777" code was last reported to be working in the beginning of August. I tried (while the site was in US dollars) to enter the code and received an error message from Kent. Am I doing something wrong or have I missed my window of opportunity? Thanks all.

I am nearing the decision to purchase a BK4. For the past 4 months I've been using a Vulfix 2233 exclusively (is shedding ~2 hairs per shave) and need to send that back for replacement.

Obviously, I can't be without a brush so I think it might be time for an upgrade.

I use both soaps (Tabac) and creams (Taylors, Trumpers)

I have sensitive skin and find the Vulfix to be very soft - maybe too soft? I started with the Art of Shaving starter set and found the brush included in the set to actually cause me irritation. I think soft bristles are what I need, but would like something with substance for soaps - thoughts?

I've also been toying with holding off on the BK4 and getting the C&E Best for the time being until I have a real excuse to "splurge" on another quality brush. Any thoughts there?

Also - I notice the "GBK1777" code was last reported to be working in the beginning of August. I tried (while the site was in US dollars) to enter the code and received an error message from Kent. Am I doing something wrong or have I missed my window of opportunity? Thanks all.

I fear the "UPGRADED" site no longer accepts the GBK1777 code. I was looking at the LARGE PURE (T12) and responded with a change of mind when the code was rejected.

I fear the "UPGRADED" site no longer accepts the GBK1777 code. I was looking at the LARGE PURE (T12) and responded with a change of mind when the code was rejected.

Did you checkout using USD as the currency? In the past, if you used Pounds or Euros, it wouldn't take it.

I own this brush and it's really soft. I'm no badger expert but I use Tabac soap and Taylor Sandalwood cream regularly (between many Italian products..looking to try them all) and the BK4 can master both without any problem. It's really a gorgeous item. Boar brushes are currently on hold. Oh, the red box (the real reason I purchased the brush :tongue: ) is really outstanding.
Be advised that you need a somewhat large cup to lather with this brush, the common nice 'barber' bowl is too small for the bloomed hairs of this lathering device. I bought a nice inox bowl (made in ..Vietnam :confused: ) in a giant furniture store for a few euro.

I own a BK4 (as well as a BK2 and BK8). I love the Kent Brushes and I think they are also very reasonably priced given their superb quality.

The BK4 sounds like a perfect match with what you are looking for. It works very well with both soaps and creams, is very soft but not overly floppy. It is of a medium size--not too big, not too small--and is a great latherer.

It's too bad the old discount code is no longer working--but I wouldn't let that hold you back.

I own a BK4 (as well as a BK2 and BK8). I love the Kent Brushes and I think they are also very reasonably priced given their superb quality.

The BK4 sounds like a perfect match with what you are looking for. It works very well with both soaps and creams, is very soft but not overly floppy. It is of a medium size--not too big, not too small--and is a great latherer.

I totally agree.

BTW, what's the item in your avatar? Is it an ancient oriental bell, or I'm mistaken? Seen many in the Big Bell Temple in Beijing. Forgive my OT, I'm curious.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I just recently acquired the BK4 from Mike (Antique Hoosier) and I gotta tell ya, it is quickly becoming the brush I reach for regularly. Used it this morning with T&H 1805.... I put the brush NEXT to the tub of 1805 and like magic... Loads of lather appeared. Yeah, the brush is that good. :wink:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I just recently acquired the BK4 from Mike (Antique Hoosier) and I gotta tell ya, it is quickly becoming the brush I reach for regularly. Used it this morning with T&H 1805.... I put the brush NEXT to the tub of 1805 and like magic... Loads of lather appeared. Yeah, the brush is that good. :wink:

That brush is severely attracted to the T&H 1805..... It usually was my "go to" brush when I used that particular cream.... very "cosmic" that it should feel at home there for you too Monsieur Gold....

Which vendor gives the 10% ? I find it annoying that I cannot seem to find accurate measurements for the BK4. Referring to their brushes as large, medium and small leaves a lot of room for speculation. They don't say much on the quality of the badger hair either. I would be looking for the equivalent of a Rooney Finest size 1 in a Kent. Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

Hi, guys. Just thought I'd share a little inside Kent info with you. They're about to release an EBONY line of BK brushes (2-12), called the BLK2, etc. These are identical to the BK line, but with a faux ebony "socket" as Kent calls them. Same pricing as the BK's. Not sure when these will be generally available, but Vanessa tells me it will be "soon". As is my BK4 (and 8, for that matter), the BLK4 is an awesome brush!! Thought you might like to see...

Oh, by the way, I just tried the GBK coupon code, but it expired 8/31/07. As previously mentioned, GBK1777 is long gone. Oh well, GBK was only 10% anyway. Still a great price at $81.20 USD for the BK or (soon) BLK4.

Also, the Kent site DOES now provide measurements (everything but the knot size anyway). Click on any brush you're interested in and then, "view dimensions". [per measurements of my own brushes, the BK4 has a 22mm knot. The BK8 is 26mm.]

Anyway, here it is, as received and in full bloom... :drool:

Makes a great new avatar, don't you think?! :biggrin:

Sorry if this question is stupid, but how come on the lower picture the hairs are all so spread out, is that just from use? I think it looks kind of cool, but I always wondered if that effect came from use, or overly packed bristles. My Men-U brush does not really give such an effect, but thenagain its not badger.

Sorry if this question is stupid, but how come on the lower picture the hairs are all so spread out, is that just from use? I think it looks kind of cool, but I always wondered if that effect came from use, or overly packed bristles. My Men-U brush does not really give such an effect, but thenagain its not badger.

I'm not familiar with the Men-U line, but just took a quick look and they appear to be bristle brushes. You will find that all of the badger hair brushes "bloom" like this. Some just do it better! :wink:

BTW, that third pic was after one shave.

Men-U makes a bristle (boar) brush, and a synthetic brush. The boar might bloom a little bit, the synthetic will have no bloom. Of course if you mash your brush into a lathering bowl or similar a lot the hairs will obviously separate a bit, but that's not the same thing as bloom.

Hopefully, for Christmas at the latest I will get a Badger brush. I quite like the Kent BK4, so probably that. Is that black one a BK4, or a different one by the way? I'm not quite sure from your post.

Top Bottom