What's new

Ceramic razor

As I recall there was a post not long ago about a knife company (who made ceramic knives) who experimented with making razors from ceramic... As I recall their "testing" showed that they were just "too sharp"... Never heard anything after that...

I have a ceramic chef's knife that is FANTASTIC in many respects... It does hold an edge longer than my other steel knives, but it is a pain in the arse to sharpen when it does lose it's edge. Not to mention I'm always terrified I'm going to knock it on something and break it.. LOL... I know it's tough, but still worries me...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Advanced ceramic composites are some wonderful things, but I'm not a big fan of ceramic knives. Sure, they can be wicked sharp, and hold their edge for an impressive amount of time, but I'm against the idea of any knife I can't sharpen. I had the following argument with the clerk/dolt from the local Chef Central-

clerk- These are the greatest knives in the world.
me- They're too small for most tasks.
clerk- But they never need sharpening.
me- Define "never".
clerk- Heck, they can go five years.
me- Then what?
clerk- Chuck 'em
me- You're what, 22, 23? Five years represents a signicant portion of your life. Five years for a knife is a short enough lifespan to classify it as "junk".

Ceramic is really hard, and can be ground into a thin, super sharp edge. Trouble is, even with steel, a thin, hard edge is very brittle. You wouldn't think you can chip a blade slicing bread, but you can. Ceramic is very prone to chipping (ever shave with a chipped blade? :eek: ), so it's a better material for a slicer (which I haven't seen them make) than a chef's knive (which takes a pounding when chopping).

Too small + can't readilly sharpen + very fragile = not for me.

I have a Boker ceramic pocket knife, and I an say I have mixed feelings about it as well. I have been using it for tasks ranging from opening boxes, shredding cardboard and stripping wires to skinning an orange for lunch, etc. On the positive side, it seems to remain sharp enough to do the job at hand. On the negative side, I AM a bit skittish about dropping it and/or applying any kind of torque to the blade. If I run my thumbnail along the blade I can feel some small chips in the edge, and Boker highly recommends the knife be sent back to them for sharpening; for a fee of course.

I can get my favorite little pocket knofe much sharper, but it definately dulls more quickly. I don't think I will buy a ceramic (this one was a gift) if this one breaks. I've found a little $5 knife that suits me better than the more expensive jobbies I have.

Anyway, I saw mention of the ceramic being "too sharp" to shave with too. I would still really dig giving one of these a try if they ever produce them.

ouch

Anyway, I saw mention of the ceramic being "too sharp" to shave with too. I would still really dig giving one of these a try if they ever produce them.

Despite my previous comments, let me add-

of course! That goes without saying! :lol:

A ceramic razor would just have such a thin edge it would be too prone to chips. Unless they come up with some hybrid material I don't see it as an alternative to steel.

Every thing that Ouch said is true. They are brittle and hard to sharpen although I have sharpened mine. I used a diamond sharpening stone with some success. I have three. My largest already has the point broke off. There is no cutting of bone or cutting on hard surfaces. I very rarely use mine so for me they were a waste of money.

bj

ouch

If you substituted the word "Nick" for "Ouch", you'd have a custom title by now. :lol:

I agree with your comments. They can't stand up to the abuse of rocking and chopping, so a chef's knife is out. I'd love to see someone do a 300mm ceramic slicer, though.

Funny you should mention a slicer. I saw a ceramic-bladed mandolin in one of my cooking implement catalogs a while back.

Wayne

Advanced ceramic composites are some wonderful things, but I'm not a big fan of ceramic knives. Sure, they can be wicked sharp, and hold their edge for an impressive amount of time, but I'm against the idea of any knife I can't sharpen. I had the following argument with the clerk/dolt from the local Chef Central-

clerk- These are the greatest knives in the world.
me- They're too small for most tasks.
clerk- But they never need sharpening.
me- Define "never".
clerk- Heck, they can go five years.
me- Then what?
clerk- Chuck 'em
me- You're what, 22, 23? Five years represents a singnicant portion of your life. Five years for a knife is a short enough lifespan to classify it as "junk".

Ceramic is really hard, and can be ground into a thin, super sharp edge. Trouble is, even with steel, a thin, hard edge is very brittle. You wouldn't think you can chip a blade slicing bread, but you can. Ceramic is very prone to chipping (ever shave with a chipped blade? :eek: ), so it's a better material for a slicer (which I haven't seen them make) than a chef's knive (which takes a pounding when chopping).

Too small + can't readilly sharpen + very fragile = not for me.

Wow, Jay I was sure you would have gone for that pink one :biggrin:

+1 to Jay's post, I definitely don't want a ceramic knife or razor.

ouch

Funny you should mention a slicer. I saw a ceramic-bladed mandolin in one of my cooking implement catalogs a while back.

Wayne

I do have a Kyocera (that's Kyoto ceramics corporation, as the boss likes to point out) ceramic vegetable peeler. It was only 12 bucks, not much more than a decent regular peeler, and it works great.

Top Bottom