What's new

Australian Palmolive Shave Stick

Legion

Staff member
Get posting my friend. It might be worth hanging onto them until you qualify for GSL membership. Then it will be a lot easier to distribute the wealth. The link is in my sig line, but I can't quite remember the minimum time on board and post count you need to join.

It doesn't take too long, anyway.

Legion

Staff member
Great Southern Land. It is the Australian social group. There are lots of Aussie guys here, and we have our own little club where we swap local information, gear, ect. It's where all the cool kids hang out.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I did get 12 sticks of the Fiji Mennen...with sodium tallowate. I am in Sydney, inner west.

Shaun

zoot

Sorry but if you are looking for a sale or trade, it would be against the Terms of Usage and the Buy/Sell/Trade rules on this forum. When you reach 45 days on the forum and 50 meaningful posts, you will be allowed to post a sale in the proper forum.

I shall bear this in mind. Apologies, this was not known to me, and I was not seeking to profit or gain, but to have fun and be part of this online shaving community. It also helped to clear up the issue regarding the distinction between Mennen from Fiji with tallow, and Palmolive and/or Mennen that does not have tallow. Clearly, the Fiji tallow Mennen does exist (and is better IMO) but is hard to obtain...it seems... The stuff I located (old stock, apparently) is the genuine article and I just wanted to spread the lather/joy a little bit. I Yam what I Yam, and that's what I Yam. Rules is rules, I guess. :closedeye

Legion

Staff member
Sorry but if you are looking for a sale or trade, it would be against the Terms of Usage and the Buy/Sell/Trade rules on this forum. When you reach 45 days on the forum and 50 meaningful posts, you will be allowed to post a sale in the proper forum.

Sorry, my bad. I forgot about that. Oh well, hang onto the soap for a little while. It doesn't go off. I'm using a stick from the 40's right now!

Luc

Staff member
Pushing this thread back up again as I got a different Palmolive shave stick made in Australia (Vintage). I want to add some pictures here. I contacted Colgate-Palmolive in Australia to know the age and ingredients. I got an automated reply about the current production. Anyways, it's a great lathering stick. I suspect it contains tallow and the scent is different to the currently made Palmolive.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's a bummer that Colgate-Palmolive decided to walk away from this formula as it's fantastic!

I have an old one too, funky 70s writing, two red lines, one a little thicker. Smells good, lathers exceedingly well. Tallow, mmm. I am a Scouser; we like fat.:001_tt1:

Well, I am somewhat surprised at all the good reviews! I loathe Palmolive Shave Stick with a vengeance.

I think it smells vile, and has a sticky consistency that makes me feel like I need a good face scrub after using it. I used to use it a lot in my younger days, but haven't touched it for years.

Dull old world if everyone thought the same, I suppose.

Luc

Staff member
Well, I am somewhat surprised at all the good reviews! I loathe Palmolive Shave Stick with a vengeance.

I think it smells vile, and has a sticky consistency that makes me feel like I need a good face scrub after using it. I used to use it a lot in my younger days, but haven't touched it for years.

Dull old world if everyone thought the same, I suppose.

Well, as I said before, it's not the best product in the world. The Euro Palmolive shave stick is superior to the Australian version. If you can't find a shave soap in Australia, the Palmolive shave stick is easy to find, cheap and all right to use. I think the Palmolive shave cream (made in Oz) is much much better.

If you can get your hands on a vintage Palmolive shave stick made in Australia that contains Tallow, those are more than amazing!

Some pics; these are both with tallow. Note the older Palmolive (not sure how old), the other is the Mennen (Palmolive too) but made in Fiji. And yes, it has tallow (see the small print). The older Palmolive has no small print. 70s? 80s? It smells so much better than the new Aussie Palmolive which is kinda awful really. The Fiji Mennen, in my opinion, sits between the new Australian Palmolive and the Euro. The older Palmolive (pictured) is better than the Fiji. So there you go.:closedeye

Attachments

• $Photo 21-01-12 1 52 11 PM.jpg
    $Photo 21-01-12 1 52 11 PM.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 235

Legion

Staff member
I agree with you assessment. for me it goes;

1. Vintage Palmolive (Mine is fron the 40's, I think)

2. Euro

3. Fiji

4. Aussie

All work, and all the current ones are cheap enough to try for yourself, if you can.

Did you ever try the EU-version Rocco? I know we traded some soaps but can't recall if it was in there. If not I owe you a EU-stick I guess...:wink2:

Harrie I have treid the EU version thank you. I think it beats some top end soaps hands down. Just a top notch product IMO.

I got some fiji Palmolive from that old tobacco shop on George St Sydney (Sol Levy? might be the name). This shop also had some of that crappy Comoy soap for sale, someone should tell tham not to bother stocking that.

I like the fiji stick, in fact I like it better than the euro stick for performance and esp at the price (it was something like $2.50 but I can't remember).

The oz stick is ok, it does the job but its not great. The fiji stick is that much better. I should have bought 2 of them,,,,well next time.

Good Luck Guys
GW

I like the Aussie stick scent better than the EU-one. Performance is not on the same level though.
Still, the AUS-Palmolive stick is not a bad performer and beats a lot of products in our Dutch drugstores imo!

+1 I could not have said it better myself. If the euro version had the Aussie scent I could contemplate shaving exclusively with such a soap.

Luc

Staff member
I got some fiji Palmolive from that old tobacco shop on George St Sydney (Sol Levy? might be the name). This shop also had some of that crappy Comoy soap for sale, someone should tell tham not to bother stocking that.

I like the fiji stick, in fact I like it better than the euro stick for performance and esp at the price (it was something like $2.50 but I can't remember).

The oz stick is ok, it does the job but its not great. The fiji stick is that much better. I should have bought 2 of them,,,,well next time.

Good Luck Guys
GW

The one from Fiji is quite something... The Palmolive shave stick that I got (vintage) is above the other ones IMO. They should go back to those formula. Tallow does make a difference!

Was going to pick up a stick today but had to leave it on the shelf as my conscience got the better of me.

I saw a segment on the Project TV show last week saying that without drastic intervention there is a very high chance that there will be no Orangutans left in Tripa Sumatra by Christmas, which I find very sad.

http://theprojecttv.com.au/video.htm?movideo_p=39696&movideo_m=223579

http://theprojecttv.com.au/oils-ain-t-oils.htm

http://www.zoo.org.au/PalmOil

http://www.palmoilaction.org.au/

mike

Top Bottom