What's new

Soap Killers?

I've been breaking in my Shavemac D01 2-band extreme flat-top and it has been completely outstanding. What has surprised me the most about this brush is how much lather it generates and the amazing release of the lather on subsequent passes. I didn't know how much more my other brushes hogged lather compared to this guy right here. Great feeling to have luxurious lather on all four passes and then squeeze out a tiny bit of lather when I'm done. The more this guy starts to open up and the hair splits, the more I love it. Easily could become my top brush.

There is one thing however, this guy kills my soaps. I'm loading it less because of it, and still generates enough lather, but I've noticed how good this brush is at picking up the soap from the puck. I don't mind as I have way too much product to go through and I'm learning to load less.

So let's hear it, what brushes would you all consider to be the ultimate soap killers?

I would point out that part of the reason your D01 generates and releases all that lather is that the shape, backbone, and slightly skritchy tips carve off more product than most brushes. Although the D01 two band is not as dense as a Chubby or a three band D01, it is still more than dense enough to need more soap than your average brush for proper loading.

As for my best soap killers my D01 Two Band flat top ranks just below my Chubby 2 two band (insane for glycerin soaps) and my Rooney Finest 3/2. You can almost see brush tracks where the Finest scares the surface of a puck.

My 24mm TGN Silvertip extra stuffed bulb eats up soap like its nothing. He has been named... "Soap Bane".

My newer TGN 28mm Finest Bulb left a very sizeable crater in my Razorock XXX upon usage. He has yet to earn his name in battle, but he soon will.

Shavemac brushes just generate exceptional lather. Bernd is doing something right with these things.

Almost all of my brushes are short lofted and dense and that leads to rapid soap consumption. I load for a full minute 'cause I have way too many soaps!

I've been breaking in my Shavemac D01 2-band extreme flat-top and it has been completely outstanding. What has surprised me the most about this brush is how much lather it generates and the amazing release of the lather on subsequent passes. I didn't know how much more my other brushes hogged lather compared to this guy right here. Great feeling to have luxurious lather on all four passes and then squeeze out a tiny bit of lather when I'm done. The more this guy starts to open up and the hair splits, the more I love it. Easily could become my top brush.

There is one thing however, this guy kills my soaps. I'm loading it less because of it, and still generates enough lather, but I've noticed how good this brush is at picking up the soap from the puck. I don't mind as I have way too much product to go through and I'm learning to load less.

So let's hear it, what brushes would you all consider to be the ultimate soap killers?

What are the specs on your brush?

Once it is broken in well and the worst of the shedding dies down (requires several months of patience or the payoff will never be obtained), the cheaply made and generally unacclaimed Jaguar 236 boar is a soap destroying demon. And probably my favorite face lathering brush I've tried thus far.

Ten bucks with a tube of Arko cream on Amazon. Save the Arko for a less fierce brush, and use this junkyard dog for face lathering triple milled soaps.

My soap killers are Rooney 1/1 Finest, Rooney Stubby 1, Simpson Eagle G3 in Best, Simpson 57,Simpson Classic 1, and Semogue 1305.

Mine are Rooney Beehive, Chubby 1 2-Band, Semogue 2010 boar,G2 Eagle in best, Classic 2......I should just stop...every brush I have is a soap killer. I love the dense short lofted ones.

This, hands down:

proxy.php

32mm of Finest fury. No soap can withstand such an onslaught.

Ken

Anyone else not understand the term "soap killer". Far as I can tell, all it means is that the brush is very dense and has a very short, inflexible loft. From my experience, these type brushes actually lather very poorly. No flex + no flow-through = bad lather. Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually think that the main function of a brush is to, I don't know, make good lather as opposed to "killing" things.

Anyone else not understand the term "soap killer". Far as I can tell, all it means is that the brush is very dense and has a very short, inflexible loft. From my experience, these type brushes actually lather very poorly. No flex + no flow-through = bad lather. Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually think that the main function of a brush is to, I don't know, make good lather as opposed to "killing" things.

I think you're confusing "soap killer" with "lather hog". I had a Rooney 3/1 that was very dense, short loft, and had lots of backbone. It would pick up a ton of soap, but then it would hold onto it like no one's business. I always had to paint on the lather since swirling it onto my face only drove the lather deeper into the brush. I ultimately got rid of it for that very reason.

The 1305, on the other hand, picks up tons of soap and whips up tons of lather in no time and does a beautiful job of spreading it around wherever I want it. THAT'S what I call a soap killer.

You seem to be all by yourself in this confused state. Read the OP and he clearly states the lather release of his Shavemac is excellent.

I had a Rooney 3/1 that was very dense, short loft, and had lots of backbone. It would pick up a ton of soap, but then it would hold onto it like no one's business. I always had to paint on the lather since swirling it onto my face only drove the lather deeper into the brush. I ultimately got rid of it for that very reason.
I always thought of my Rooney 3/1 as moppy, but I agree about it holding onto lather. It's in a storage box somewhere because I can't in good conscience sell it to another member.

My best soap killer in the smaller Simpson line is the Duke 1. The Rover also seems like it might be a good one, but I've only used it twice.

I always thought of my Rooney 3/1 as moppy, but I agree about it holding onto lather. It's in a storage box somewhere because I can't in good conscience sell it to another member.

My best soap killer in the smaller Simpson line is the Duke 1. The Rover also seems like it might be a good one, but I've only used it twice.

If you think the 3/1 is moppy, then you'd hate my Simpson PJ3! :w00t:

Sounds like you haven't tried a shavemac D01 flat top. I have one or two brushes that are soap killers AND lather hogs. You're right. These brushes don't give the greatest lather and kill soaps. I do however have a brush or two that kill soaps and release the brush better than anything I've tried and the shavemac D01 flat top is the best I've tried.

I was asking guys to talk about their soap killers. Whether they hog the lather or not.

No, I'm not confused. The only thing confusing is the term "soap killer". So if it "kills soap" but doesn't lather well, what exactly is it accomplishing? Might as well just chuck the soap in a bucket of water and watch it dissolve.

So is any brush that lathers well a "soap killer"? Is my 23x55 Plisson a soap killer, or is its loft too high? It lathers soaps really well. But it also lathers creams really well. Does that make it not a soap killer?

Top Bottom