What's new

Early warnings telling you NOT to shave

It started as a regular day. I managed to scrap one more brush full of lather from my nearly gone Harris soap, spread it on my face and went to strop my Dovo razor. After two passes, the razor caught the leather, something that didn't happened to me for a long time. This should've been an early warning...

I started shaving and in no time, I felt a sting from my cheek, the smell of blood was noted and blood came out from a small cut. I looked at the Dovo and it looked like it was smiling - the blade didn't look straight. At least it didn't bite into any artery so I completed the shave carefully.

Does anyone have a warning sign telling him not to shave?

Wonder what happend? I went to wipe my very first razor with tissue, to get the oil off and felt it snag and rip the tissue. looked real real close and saw a lil rolled ding in the center of the blade. that would have been a scratchy shave. turns out a looky-loo messed with it and dropped it in the sink. all better now. Other than that, If I catch a glimpse of the grim reaper in the mirror behind me I will just wait two days, not go outside and I'm all good.

I almost always have a "backup" razor handy. I sometimes strop extra razors during the week just in case a shave starts to go sideways. If I notice a razor is not as sharp as I need it to be I'll reach for Plan B. Then I put the offending razor in my "to be finished" pile.

If you have serious concerns about that razor give it a very close inspection. If the edge is rolled or nicked, or if the blade is warped or damaged, it's time to take it off the front line and bring another soldier up.

Unfortunately my first inclination that something is going downhill is when I've already cut myself...

Top Bottom