What's new

Improvised scuttle, really didn't work...ideas?

hello all,
Last night i was reading that it's all about keeping your lather hot while you shave, so I decided to add a twist into my routine this morning. I woke up, threw some water in a small (think like big enough for one can of soup) and threw it over medium heat on the stove to get it at just the right temperature. Then i went about soaking my brush in some hot water from the sink and went about my shower. Come back, and the water is just about at a boil, so i remove it, use about half to heat up my bowl, and then throw the bowl inside of the pot (it fits relatively snugly seeing as they are about the same size). Proceed to whip up some lather with my Trafalgar sample pak (wasn't really a fan of this scent, but i decided to give it another shot before making up my mind on it), and i thought i had it good and ready to commence my shave. Lather up, and about halfway through my first pass, i notice that all of the lather has pretty much disappeared. Now I'm no expert on lathering, as i still a noob, but I had been getting really decent lathers with the T&H samples i've been using and I used the usual amount of water i discovered worked well with T&H. I'm wondering if maybe the heat had a sort of melting effect on the lather, or if i simply over-hydrated or under-hydrated it, because I added a drop or two for each pass, and it seemed to progress for the second pass, but i had to end up relathering my left side once i finished shaving the right side. Didn't have enough time for a third pass, so idk if i would have had enough lather for a third.
Like i said, i'm still trying to get the lather process perfected, but i figured i'd pick some of your more experienced brains while i wait for my stubble to grow back in enough to do another attempt.

Your water was probably too hot for the lather. More heat = more evaporation. You'll probably want to dial it down for the next time.

I have a dirty bird scuttle and use just the hot tap water and that seems to be about the perfect temperature. I think that my tap water may be a bit hotter than most but it really warms up the lather and keeps it the perfect temperature.

If it was near boiling you were at 200+ degrees. If you have a cooking water thermometer around, try shooting for about 120 or 130 next time and see how that works then dial it up or down from there.

Lather is basically a combination of air, water, and product that is held together by surface tension. Heat weakens the bonding that causes surface tension. When it gets too hot the lather breaks down. Most hot water directly out of the tap is around 130 degrees farenheit and that's what I use in my scuttle.

Top Bottom