What's new

Pocket knives

I've been following this thread with great interest as I was in need of a serious upgrade to my choice of carry knife. Over the years I've bought knives that were modest in cost (OK, Cheap) and inevitably modest in performance. So tonight I pulled the trigger on these two:

$31TdBlIMJML._SL500_AA300_.jpg Case Medium Stockman with Chrome Vanadium Blades

$buck.jpgBuck Vantage Avid

Looking forward to their arrival and improved capabilities.

I cant stand stainless, period. Tho I own three, all cold steel, and two are serrated.

My EDC is serrated, my Wife's Traveler's bag is a serrated neck knife ( for her tiny hands)

My Leatherman wave has a AUG-8 stainless blade on it, and I ground into an awl.

That Sheffield is a far better blade than any of these.

For many years I have carried either of these SOG knives.

$knife.jpg

However, for Christmas I got this Old Timer knife.

$old timer.jpg

I sharpened it up with my Spyderco. It is an incredibly sharp knife.

Just got an Opinel #8 yesterday, with a stainless steel blade. They also come in carbon, but I wanted less maintenance. Clever round collar twists for rock solid lockback. Very nice, utilitarian folder.

That Linder posted above is nice.

Never understood why the Germans don't match the front and back stag a bit closer. I've got several Solingen stag scaled knives from a variety of old line cutlery houses with similar looking scales. The front is always really nice while the back is usually pretty plain.

Middle row, second one up, just above the yellow handled scout knife has been in my pocket for a couple of years now.
Challenge Cutlery Corp, Bridgeport, Conn
proxy.php

Occasionally, I go big.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I personally like a good carbon steel over stainless. Right now I carry a Case Sway Back Jack in CV but I'll switch off to another similar size Case every once in a while, and some of the others are stainless.

proxy.php

Hi - I just came across this forum and your post while searching for a new pocket knife. Would you be kind enough to tell me what brand/model the above picture is. It is beautiful and I would certainly like to find out more. Where is it available? In the United States?
Thanks for any info - if you wish, email me at [email protected]

Top Bottom