What's new

Pocket knives

How many of you guys carry them and what do you prefer - stainless or carbon steel? I've found a manufacturer of some beautiful Sheffield carbon steel folding knives and I think I'll be investing in one soon, but how much more maintenance will carbon steel require over stainless in terms of pocket knives? It'll only be a small, non-locking blade that I'm buying as UK law states that the only knife you can carry without good reason (good reason being occupation, of which mine would cover carrying a knife at times anyway) is a folding, non-locking blade under 3 inches. We have some problems with kids stabbing each other all the time over here so the law's pretty harsh on carrying blades. Anyhow, carbon or stainless? FYI - here's the eye candy of the maker I'm tempted by http://www.sheffield-cutlery.com/pocketknife.html

You should be okay with carbon if you keep it clean and dry. I carry stainless but would not be afraid of carbon.

Never wear pants without a pocket knife I say. I have a small collection of about 100 or so and I love a carbon blade for carry purposes. I find them a bit easier to sharpen and as long as you keep it dry, oil it down occasionally you will get many years of use. BTW I looked at the page and those look like great knives. I really like the looks of the two blade Stag Handle.
proxy.php

I carry what I refer to as a pocket knife but what is apparently more properly a "tactical locking folder" - it goes in my pocket, it's a pocket knife.

It's an all-stainless SpyderCo which was given to me as a gift many years ago and has seen lots of hard use (now in three different combat zones!) which is why I generally am very happy that it's stainless.

That aside, if you keep your knife clean and dry, carbon steel makes a better tool.

I have carried a plethora of folding knives (Microtech, Benchmade, Buck, Gerber, Victorinox, Schrade, Kershaw, CKRT..probably a few others) over the past 40 years.

One has somewhat stood out in an odd way above the others....a Case Sodbuster Jr. Stainless blade. It is well made, takes and keeps an edge as well as any other blade, is relatively inexpensive (about $25-$30 last I checked) and small enough to easily tote in a pocket remain on the right side of most local laws. I gave one to my son as he was worried he would lose the Microtech I had given him many years ago (so he seldom used it..go figure). Now at least I know he has a decent blade in his pocket and should he misplace it, a trip to the local Ace Hardware store will solve the problem.

Those are some beautiful knives, YetiDave. I prefer carbon steel blades, especially in the kitchen, for ease of shapening. It's easy to keep my vintage Sabatiers in great shape with a couple of simple sharpening tools.

I don't know that I've used a carbon blade in a folding pocket knife since Boy Scouts, many years ago. But just keeping it dry and wiping it down after use should be all you need. You could also cut some stuff that is reactive with carbon steel -- citrus, onions, even put a layer of prepared mustard or something else with vinegar in it on the blade for a minute or two -- to build a patina. That provides a bit of extra protection to the carbon steel.

Looks like you have lots of great choices.

Never wear pants without a pocket knife I say. I have a small collection of about 100 or so and I love a carbon blade for carry purposes. I find them a bit easier to sharpen and as long as you keep it dry, oil it down occasionally you will get many years of use. BTW I looked at the page and those look like great knives. I really like the looks of the two blade Stag Handle.
proxy.php

+1. The definition of a survival knife, is whatever knife you may have on you at the time you may need it for survival. I carry a small gerber E-Z out model 425. Light, and durable.

I'm a big fan of carbon steel traditional style pocket knives. The carbon is easy to sharpen as has been stated, and it also takes on a good deal of character through use and patina. Mineral oil (from a drugstore or pharmacy) is recommended as an occasional blade-wipe to preserve the carbon-steel surfaces and still be food-safe.
Some of the brands that I carry, trust, and use regularly are: Case (particularly their Chrome Vanadium, or CV, line of steel), Great Eastern Cutlery (subgroups Tidioute Cutlery and Northfield), Moore Maker and Queen Cutlery. These companies are all US made, some are small production only, and are all very well put together. The listed companies offer great selections of classic pocket knives.

If you're going to be around the sea with your pocket knife, you may wish to consider sticking with a stainless steel blade.

Here's a few pics from my collection:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I carry a Benchmade McHenry & Williams, a locking blade. Our laws are a bit more lenient about pocket knives. It's stainless and holds an edge quite well.

I do prefer a good stainless blade for pocket knives, they just stay looking good much longer than carbon steel although they are harder to sharpen.

Before being given my first Benchmade, I carried one of the smaller Case stainless multiblade folders, I never remembered model numbes, but just looked for a size and style blade that I liked, and sometimes would reshape one of the blades for personal grooming needs.

I do not care for a blade as large as 3" for pocket knives, knock it back to about 2 1/2 and it's lighter in weight and much less noticeable.

I ALWAYS have a knife in my pocket where its legal! I usually have a single blade one hand opening locking knife clipped in my right side pocket... usually spyderco, kershaw or one of mine. I have a SAK Hercules on my belt and a small slip joint or SAK in my right front pocket with a little LED flashlight.

Carbon steel blades are not a problem, be prepared for them to take a patina. This looks GREAT in my opinion and will actually protect the blade from heavier rust.

Your knife laws in the UK are a bit crazy!! The lock is a safely device... I wonder how big a problem it actually is with kids stabbing other kids? It also leads me to wonder why they don't take care of the problem...

Tom

My everyday carry knives

This with carbon blade
proxy.php

Stainless blade, assisted open
proxy.php

Blade I use at work
proxy.php

Multitool always on me
proxy.php

My knife is used as a modern interpretation of iaijutsu. So there are specific needs that rarely get met with pretty knives. Current favorite is a Kershaw OSO Sweet.

I do love the craftsmanship of well made steel and animal horn, it just rarely fits my needs.

Tool steel. Something like O1 or A2 makes for a very nice blade. Hard to sharpen with cheap stones and easier with quality stones, but hold an edge for a very long time with minimal care, even through near abusive use.

Phil

Bummed, not allowed to carry a pocket knife anymore, court doesn't allow one. On my non court days I'll carry something though, usually a spyderco persistence.

I've found a manufacturer of some beautiful Sheffield carbon steel folding knives and I think I'll be investing in one soon, FYI - here's the eye candy of the maker I'm tempted by http://www.sheffield-cutlery.com/pocketknife.html

Ahh, Trevor Ablett knives! Lovely hand made knives at silly cheap prices. I have a couple of Trevor's twin blade jobs myself. I find them rather heavy in the pocket sometimes and I tend to carry an Arthur Wright carbon steel Ettrick, a nice old fashioned sheep farmer's knife from another of the old Sheffield companies.

Arthur Wright Ettrick

Trevor also makes Ettrick knives.

A bit of advice if you are lusting after a Trevor Ablett. The man is well past retirement age and I don't know how long he will carry on making his knives. Get your order in soon and be prepared for a bit of a wait!

Worth the wait though!

Gareth

Top Bottom